• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why do people like/use Roon?

atsmusic

You're misinterpreting technical assessments for emotion. I don't hate Roon, I just don't view as a good price vs performance and functionality proposition.

The $10 a month is well worth it for me. I don't think that is too much for all it does for me.

FrankF

Forum Donor
I have no problem with $10 a month. Just wish it was compatible with more streaming services. With Spotify streaming FLAC I just use their connect app even though I have a Roon sub for a few more months.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I have no problem with $10 a month. Just wish it was compatible with more streaming services. With Spotify streaming FLAC I just use their connect app even though I have a Roon sub for a few more months.

Is there a major difference between Spotify lossless streaming and Tidal lossless streaming?

I just use Tidal because it works with Roon

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just dropped in from Planet1970s and rummaged fully thru this post and the one that sent me here but I still don't understand the need for Roon.

From the discussions as to "why Roon?", what is apparent is that it is like the tail wagging the dog, or a cult. If neither, all uze guyz are just too cheap to have your own media/content, or don't know how to create one or just too damn lazy to forage for your own.
Someone stated:
"...I discover 90% of my new music through this feature of Roon..."
I never intended to amass a library of around few thousand albums/CDs (now most, transcoded into a local NAS library) , but that above statement brings up:
Q: "How did you discover music before Roon?"
A: "I do Roon because... well... the dog ate my homework."
>> Yak, yak! Blah, blah! Yadi, yadi, yadah!
Not that I haven't tried a few of these streamer-aids (and sorry that I did). Like ConceivaMezzmo, JRiver, Plex, Foobar... going all the way back to olden days when WinAmp ruled and iTunes was just a minion. Album meta-data (ID3Tag) was just born and cddb was a 'thing' (@#$% GraceNote!).

Rotel recently sent me a 60day Roon trial code, and the fool in me downloaded it and just before revving up my Revo to install it, something inside shouted "RTFM".
I am wondering how many of the Roon user-base has ever read Roon EULA, or ever have chosen privacy over convenience!
AllYourPRIVACYareBelongToUs.jpg

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just dropped in from Planet1970s and rummaged fully thru this post and the one that sent me here but I still don't understand the need for Roon.

From the discussions as to "why Roon?", what is apparent is that it is like the tail wagging the dog, or a cult. If neither, all uze guyz are just too cheap to have your own media/content, or don't know how to create one or just too damn lazy to forage for your own.
Someone stated:
I never intended to amass a library of around few thousand albums/CDs (now most, transcoded into a local NAS library) , but that above statement brings up:
Not that I haven't tried a few of these streamer-aids (and sorry that I did). Like ConceivaMezzmo, JRiver, Plex, Foobar... going all the way back to olden days when WinAmp ruled and iTunes was just a minion. Album meta-data (ID3Tag) was just born and cddb was a 'thing' (@#$% GraceNote!).

Rotel recently sent me a 60day Roon trial code, and the fool in me downloaded it and just before revving up my Revo to install it, something inside shouted "RTFM".
I am wondering how many of the Roon user-base has ever read Roon EULA, or ever have chosen privacy over convenience!
View attachment 165185
You seem nice.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I ask because I'm in the process of deciding between the D&D 8C Home or Studio Versions; the only difference in functionality is that the Home version is (almost) "Roon ready". As the cost difference is significant, there's no point paying for functionality I won't use.

I trialed Roon, using it as a music library and player and concluded it simply doesn't work for me - but it seems very popular so I'd like to understand what I'm missing.

I currently use Foobar as a general media player, Mixx for DJ'ing and ProTools for recording studio mixes. I don't use any streaming services (nor am I likely to) and play music from lossless downloads or rips of my CDs and vinyl. ~95% of my music collection is "dance" music (which is why Roon doesn't work for me).
For me Roon is just too expensive for one excess point.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

What's not to understand?

Through 1 interface, Roon lets me:

1. Access my FLACs on my NAS
2. Access streaming sources
3. Access internet radio
4. Stream to multiple end points around the house
5. Apply DSP to all of those things
6. Software control my Devialet Expert

I can do some of this through Volumio and RPis, but I like the Roon UI.

I bought a Roon lifetime membership ages ago, so cost is already sunk.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
all uze guyz are just too cheap to have your own media/content, or don't know how to create one or just too damn lazy to forage for your own.

Yeah...my days of feeling like I need to go foraging are behind me.

Color me lazy.

Roon makes it easy. I like easy.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Yeah...my days of feeling like I need to go foraging are behind me.

Color me lazy.

Roon makes it easy. I like easy.

No guilt here at spending money to make life easier and more convenient.

Sure, call it lazy.

But that's the pay off for no longer being a young broke student decades ago. ;)

Last edited:

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Someone stated:

View attachment 165185
You can be angry and insulting if you want, but don't expect anyone to want to be around you or do you any favors. You are now blocked in my feed.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I just remembered I have a bunch of music on my seed box I need to download.

Good to get that non-lazy exertion in.

Burn some calories.

rkbates

Forum Donor

Someone stated:

View attachment 165185
I expect I'm just taking a bait, but also being from Planet1970's I can't help putting up an alternate viewpoint. I love playing with Pi's, have installed and tinkered with lots of options for a centralised music system for multiple end points, and Roon has been a gamechanger for me. It's way overpriced - but it just works, does everything I need and is the best tool I have used for finding new music. As far as privacy goes, regardless of the EULA I expect every app on my system is sending usage data that I would prefer to keep private.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I expect I'm just taking a bait, but also being from Planet1970's I can't help putting up an alternate viewpoint. I love playing with Pi's, have installed and tinkered with lots of options for a centralised music system for multiple end points, and Roon has been a gamechanger for me. It's way overpriced - but it just works, does everything I need and is the best tool I have used for finding new music. As far as privacy goes, regardless of the EULA I expect every app on my system is sending usage data that I would prefer to keep private.
+1 on the playing with Pis and tinkering with centralized music system with multiple endpoints.

Top Bottom