• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What do you like in Roon?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nothing enough to buy/subscribe. I suppose for some it might be useful, but it just didn't offer much to me, particularly for the price.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Obviously. That is a great example of my point - system calibration needs to be in the signal chain for all sources.

Roon never claimed to try to be for all sources. Especially not as a HTPC software for your video Entertainment System.

I at least never had the impression or expected that at all when I got into using roon for music.

And while they offer DSP features, what's the problem with using DIRAC as well if you are not able to create your own convolution filters for your setup? Especially for movie streaming..
You can buy Dirac for Mac and Windows and tunnel Roon through a virtual soundcard through Dirac .
But that's probably to technical for you again.

Use it or leave it. :)

Plenty people seem to be happy with it.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Roon never claimed to try to be for all sources. Especially not as a HTPC software for your video Entertainment System.

I at least never had the impression or expected that at all when I got into using roon for music.

I'm not sure why you bolded "music," but frankly who the hell cares what the program is? If its program one wants to play back through an audio system, shouldn't it be reproduced with the highest fidelity that system is capable of providing? It shouldn't matter if it's Mussorgsky or Miles or Morrissey or Mary J. Blige...or Marvelous Miss Maisel, or for that matter NPR Marketplace.

And while they offer DSP features, what's the problem with using DIRAC as well if you are not able to create your own convolution filters for your setup? Especially for movie streaming.

As stated way too many times in this thread already for it to have not sunk in, including in the post you quoted, there's absolutely no "problem" whatsoever with using whatever sources one likes (including Roon), upstream of a hardware controller that applies system calibration filters and, if applicable, bass management, to all the upstream sources before the signal goes downstream to the relevant transducers. That is the sensible approach.

But speaking of "convolution," from a quick scan at least...color me skeptical. It seems applied to home audio as technique primarily devised to satisfy the eyes: generate a visually pleasing graph of "in room response" (a near meritless metric above the transition region) by mauling the full-range signal based on input from a single measurement by a single omnidirectional microphone. What's wrong with all that has been discussed in detail on this forum.

Perhaps there are far more sophisticated and worthwhile uses of "convolution" in calibrating home audio systems, but a quick scan did not find anything that seemed promising for further investigation.

You can buy Dirac for Mac and Windows and tunnel Roon through a virtual soundcard through Dirac. But that's probably too technical for you again.

Not "too technical" but definitely stupid annoying and generally terrible. Not too long ago I took part in a test of some room correction software I believe has potential to be paradigm shifting. Unfortunately, the relevant company could or would not offer the package on normal audio hardware. It had to be loaded onto a general purpose computer. Even using normal computers (an old Intel MBP loaded with the relevant software feeding an old Anthem AVR repurposed as multichannel HDMI-input DAC, controlled via Screen Sharing by an M1 MBP) it was such a headache to use compared to normal dedicated audio hardware. It was worth doing for that limited purpose, but full time and for enjoyment rather than learning? No effing thank you.

DrCWO

Audio Company
Forum Donor
This site usually comes up in English for me, but for some reason today it wants me to read German. Anyway, this is from the same guy @DrCWO who created RooExtend and the family of extensions that go with it. I have RooDial, which works really well. I've been toying with setting up RooPlay, but have not gotten to it yet. It allows you to feed pretty much any sort of audio signal into Roon.

https://shop.rooextend.com/pages/pf-extension-rooplay
You fund a manual here. This will help with the setup of rooPlay. https://drive.google.com/drive/mobile/folders/1c72vVpuuVlIWJpB8flVAZlHXmW2KNd1k

ampguy

4 years in, love it, have 6 or so endpoints, used to be connected to freenas SAN, now all storage is on nvme drives in always on 10W i3-10100 server. Use linux on Rpis for bridge, and the DACs/amps/speakers get moved around to find optimal gear for each room.

JGeez

I love Roon and use it mostly for classical music. Yes, it has its quirks and bugs but there is nothing on the market like it. I have half a dozen end points and also use its ARC app for playing music outside. It offers an immense number of useful features for organizing and playing music. All of its data is easily exportable. The DSP/EQ functions are very good. As well, using a Raspberry Pi and Ropieee as a streamer works tremendously. Ropieee is constantly updated and rock solid. I find Roon's search functions much better than the search in the Tidal or Qobuz apps.

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Iam about 8 yrs into Roon. Absolutely love it. Autocennects to everything in my house including my smart fridge! The dsp functionality / convolution is awesome, and was not part of Roon when I bought it. Now I have ARC as well to use in cars and work spaces etc. My local collection, Tidal and Qobuz is more than enough for me.
I use AVRs in my HT and bedroom setups so dsp (Audysey/Dirac) covered there if I want to stream non-Roon atmos music, or use Prime, Netflix etc.

@jhaider stop wasting your time and energy on something you dislike....you made your points, move on?

Top Bottom