• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why do people like/use Roon?

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just watching that from my email too.EDIT- sorry, Roon sent me an email advising of the update and I watched the video in that.

1.looks like they are trying to address weaknesses with jazz /classical and improve recommendations. Good

2. When did a major update not bring major issues for some users?
Well, I'm now all ready for 1.8.

I've re-downloaded 1.7 install files and latest 1.7 Android APK files and they're ready to go if 1.8 is a s**t show!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I'm now all ready for 1.8.

I've re-downloaded 1.7 install files and latest 1.7 Android APK files and they're ready to go if 1.8 is a s**t show!

Actually, about that . I had the same thought last night and downloaded the installer package. But I think all I have is a widget that will, on demand , download and install the full software. So guessing if I ran that next week once 1.8 is live, it would just install 1.8?

How do I get the latest build of 1.7 to store somewhere safe?

Sukie

Forum Donor
Actually, about that . I had the same thought last night and downloaded the installer package. But I think all I have is a widget that will, on demand , download and install the full software. So guessing if I ran that next week once 1.8 is live, it would just install 1.8?

How do I get the latest build of 1.7 to store somewhere safe?
Everything's available on the Roon website. I downloaded the APK file for my phone. I'm assuming that the Android app, as well as everything else, will update to 1.8.

If 1.8 has problems then I'll uninstall Roon and Roon Server on my PC (after backing up) and then re-install 1.7. I'll do the same with the Android app. The app is more complicated as you have to transfer the APK to the android device and then install it from there, first enabling "Install unknown apps". You also have to remember to disable auto updates for the app, otherwise it will simply update to 1.8 (I would have thought).

EB1000

I'm using Roon v1.6 with my NAD C658, because it's the only "free" version available... No way I'm paying 700$ to get Foobar2000 experience on my C658...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Everything's available on the Roon website. I downloaded the APK file for my phone. I'm assuming that the Android app, as well as everything else, will update to 1.8.

If 1.8 has problems then I'll uninstall Roon and Roon Server on my PC (after backing up) and then re-install 1.7. I'll do the same with the Android app. The app is more complicated as you have to transfer the APK to the android device and then install it from there, first enabling "Install unknown apps". You also have to remember to disable auto updates for the app, otherwise it will simply update to 1.8 (I would have thought).

Yes. Thats what I downloaded (for PC, less bothered about android app)- but its only 70mb. I think thats the installer app which presumably then downloads a bigger file of the latest build from the Roon servers- which will be 1.8 when it launches. How do you know you have a copy of the 1.7 install ready to roll back to?

I'm crap with IT- but when ive done previous installs I think thats what happens

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes. Thats what I downloaded (for PC, less bothered about android app)- but its only 70mb. I think thats the installer app which presumably then downloads a bigger file of the latest build from the Roon servers- which will be 1.8 when it launches. How do you know you have a copy of the 1.7 install ready to roll back to?

I'm crap with IT- but when ive done previous installs I think thats what happens

Alas, looks like this is the case- short of a restore of a full PC image running the old version https://community.roonlabs.com/t/can-i-revert-back-to-previous-roon-release/59013

So I shall be taking my chances!

Sukie

Forum Donor
Alas, looks like this is the case- short of a restore of a full PC image running the old version https://community.roonlabs.com/t/can-i-revert-back-to-previous-roon-release/59013

So I shall be taking my chances!
I was just about to post exactly the same thing. You were absolutely right that the downloads (excluding the APK) are just Installers. There's no going back!!! (Apart from System Restore).

Like you say, we take our chances! My set up is pretty solid and uncomplicated, so I'm hopeful that things will be okay.

Cider

I tried the Roon trial this week. It's a nice service, and I can see why people like it, but I wonder about how the company plans to grow. It kinda reminds me of Tivo, which at one time was my favorite service in the whole world, but long ago became totally irrelevant to me. In any case, I hope Roon Labs does well, and I may even subscribe, but I also wonder where they go from here.

JoachimStrobel

Forum Donor
I use Lightroom for Photos, Rush for Video, Simply Piano for piano playing, Volumio as streamer OS and Roon for organizing my music. All re-assuring expensive, re-assuring as in good software where people can make a living from.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use Lightroom for Photos, Rush for Video, Simply Piano for piano playing, Volumio as streamer OS and Roon for organizing my music. All re-assuring expensive, re-assuring as in good software where people can make a living from.
Yep, software doesn’t write itself! It might soon, but not yet.

atmfrank

Why Roon, why Sonos, why Tidal, Qobuz, or any of these? Each one is a walled garden in a different flavor. I don't mind spending money to support developers of open software. But I absolutely do mind supporting MQA.

To me the audio hobby has a been life-long journey (still spinning records now and then). Why Roon? Honestly I don't know. I operate 2 Macbook Pro's, 2 PC's (Dell790, NUC), 3 Raspberries with transports and DAC HAT's. There are also 8 different DAC's, various headphone amp/DAC combos, plus ChromeCast Audio, 2 complete audio systems with discrete amps. Software is Volumio, LMS, Foobar2000, HQPlayer, Audirvana. Amazon Music HD is only service I pay for (cheap). I can do multi-room, send high-bitrate streams over a robust wifi network (a single 4x4 MIMO Ubiquiti). The rest is streaming FLAC Internet radio or from the local NAS via SMB shares to the apps, or my "DIY/RPI endpoints"

If you free yourself from the shackles of paid services, you might actually enjoy the hobby more. At least worth a try. It's not a matter of affordability, but one of principle.

Now....all this might be a bit obsessively engaging with the favorite hobby...while being happily married.

But still....why Roon?

Last edited:

noobie1

I signed up for Room for 3 months when they had their end of year sale. I used it for couple of days and then went back to Audirvana and never went back. I will say that the big advantage of Roon is the ability to EQ or use convolution when I’m using my iPhone. I know of no other possible way to do this.

MOCKBA

Roon (in my understanding) is Apple for music lovers. Everything is beautiful, well organized, easy to use. But same problem as with Apple, if you think different, or cheap, or something else, Roon isn't for you. Therefore, although I really like Roon, I do not use it. Old fashioned file system, or samba for streaming, are my choice.

DualTriode

Hello,

I do not know Pi about Roon. What is it?

With Covid I found out that I do not need a job.

I am mobile and I want to take my music with me in the car, in my other car, on my bicycle, in my girlfriend's home, and you know where ever. I want to equalize the music for my mood for whatever speakers, room, space or headphones.

Will Roon do this? what hardware?

Thanks DT

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,

I am mobile and I want to take my music with me in the car, in my other car, on my bicycle, in my girlfriend's home, and you know where ever. I want to equalize the music for my mood for whatever speakers, room, space or headphones.

Thanks DT
Roon runs on a server, so it would be difficult to use in a mobile app.

Supposedly it was in the development path to allow for local storage and playback.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-on-the-go-make-it-work-on-the-road/50428

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,

Thanks DT
No. Not unless you're lugging whatever device is acting as your Core around (laptop etc) with you to then remain connected to mobile device. Your core needs to be on same network as the endpoint you're listening via.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No. Not unless you're lugging whatever device is acting as your Core around (laptop etc) with you to then remain connected to mobile device. Your core needs to be on same network as the endpoint you're listening via.

***unless you are pretty handy with VPN/networking, then you can stream to your remote phone from your home server. It’s been done, but not for the faint of heart.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
***unless you are pretty handy with VPN/networking, then you can stream to your remote phone from your home server. It’s been done, but not for the faint of heart.
*** im not

Plus, I would end up leaving my pc running 24 hrs a day for one or 2 max mobile roon hours.

BlackH20

Forum Donor
Hell, at my age a lifetime subscription could be limited, but loaded the near 500 CD's up on a Roon, like the software, been through albums, cassettes (for the cars), CD's and a little streaming. Not going back to LP's, can't even sit still for 25 minutes and your up raising the arm, flipping the album, etc. Maybe the youngsters think it's hip, but it's a pain in the ass. Roon wasn't cheap, but they have the advantage now competition always comes along.

Reactions: Ata
Top Bottom