• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why do passive speakers still exist?

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Excellent stuff, you've obviously thought a lot about it and are committed to the long term. This information might even help finalise a few sales, so if I was you it'd broadcast it far and wide, so to speak.

Yeees, I see your point, at the same time an active messaging around "In case we shut down, then (..)" might not inspire that much confidence either. :D

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Be careful! Many over 40 years old STK based amplifiers will outlive modern stuff!
amps & speakers and all my other "mid-fi" gear (3 complete systems worth for large homes) from 77-96 is currently working just fine. The one exception is an AKAI reel to reel from 1968 (and it is repairable).

amarsicola

Forum Donor
Amir references his passive and active speaker tests to his Revel passives. I leave it there ...
That can be just a case, you can find excellent spinoramas of active Kii at Erin's corner.
But still I have not received any indication of a good performing sub-3K€ pair of active floorstanders from the "activists"

Ultrasonic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That can be just a case, you can find excellent spinoramas of active Kii at Erin's corner.
But still I have not received any indication of a good performing sub-3K€ pair of active floorstanders from the "activists"

To weigh in against your extensive list of, err, one passive example (of a rather small floorstanding model)? I have heard some Canton actives in your price range that I subjectively liked but I've not seen any measured data for them and so couldn't offer them up in response to your original question.

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Do you mean you haven't seen sub-3k€ active monitors that don't match most equally priced passive floorstanders in performance or is the form factor important?

amarsicola

Forum Donor
Do you mean you haven't seen sub-3k€ active monitors that don't match most equally priced passive floorstanders in performance or is the form factor important?
Form factor is key. I need a low center of gravity (you know, kids and dogs...) and also floorstanders are better looking for me. I think manufacturers are guilty for not delivering good and cheap active floorstanders.

@Ultrasonic i already mentioned a pair of floorstanding Revel Concerta (measured on ASR) is something around 2K€, add an Hypex nc252mp amplifier and a Topping dac and you are 90-95% of state of the art for less than 3K€. If you can get along with the look, Erin appreciated the Emotiva T2+, less than 1k€

Last edited:

Ultrasonic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@Ultrasonic i already mentioned a pair of floorstanding Revel Concerta (measured on ASR) is something around 2K€, add an Hypex nc252mp amplifier and a Topping dac and you are 90-95% of state of the art for less than 3K€. If you can get along with the look, Erin appreciated the Emotiva T2+, less than 1k€
The Revels were the long list of one example I referred to in my last post. I see you're now suggesting another in those Emotivas.

Last edited:

benanders

In a world where amazing active speakers / monitors exist, why do passive speakers not only continue to exist but are almost 90% of all speakers sold ( i guess).
What are the benefits of a passive speaker vs an active one?

Neat idea. Nice Quora-style, loaded-phrasing in that query ;)

Before I read all the way through (so sorry if I’ll learn in a bit for overlooking it atm), let’s adjust for bias:

What speaker(s) is @Pearljam5000 * using?

Five thousand, man, has it really been that long?
Seems like PJ20 was only yesterday…

benanders

In a world where amazing active speakers / monitors exist, why do passive speakers not only continue to exist but are almost 90% of all speakers sold ( i guess).
What are the benefits of a passive speaker vs an active one?

Okay, having gone all the way through this thread, I’ll now say:

Watch this “TYFS” clip and replace “vanilla ice cream” with “passive speakers” and “chocolate ice cream” with “active speakers”. That alone is reason for passives to continue to exist. ;)

But it’s not for that reason alone, why passives continue to exist.

amarsicola

Forum Donor
Okay, having gone all the way through this thread, I’ll now say:

Watch this “TYFS” clip and replace “vanilla ice cream” with “passive speakers” and “chocolate ice cream” with “active speakers”. That alone is reason for passives to continue to exist. ;)

But it’s not for that reason alone, why passives continue to exist.
Sorry the video doesn't show up. What were you meaning?

benanders

Try this link:
Or just google “Thank You for Smoking vanilla vs. chocolate”.
No way I could deliver it as well and concisely by typing :)

benanders

And in case you simply cannot access YouTube or other video:

80731587-BB57-47D5-AD67-DFC1CBA5F407.jpeg

But I promise it’s better when Eckhart says it :D

Digby

Major Contributor
After reading the transcript above, I feel it only right to say "everyone please stand for the national anthem of the United States of America".

Andysu

Major Contributor
remove the passive crossover and replace with DSP loudspeaker management crossover , enough said

Galliardist

Major Contributor
remove the passive crossover and replace with DSP loudspeaker management crossover , enough said
Cost? Active crossover, additional amps, extra wiring, having to acquire the knowledge to replicate the passive crossover in DSP,, maybe breaking a long term warranty, and all for possibly an inaudible improvement.

For now, I’ll pass.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Cost? Active crossover, additional amps, extra wiring, having to acquire the knowledge to replicate the passive crossover in DSP,, maybe breaking a long term warranty, and all for possibly an inaudible improvement.

For now, I’ll pass.
Two 2 channel Tpa3255 boards for two 2-way active speakers - 60 dollars , digital crossover card (sigma studio ) - 25 dollars - two power supplies = 50 dollars - Done !

Good passive crossover components are much more expensive than 25 bucks.

Top Bottom