• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WARNING: Geithain - Vintage King Order Problems - USA Customers...Passives next?

OP
P

prestigetone

Yes, the way they boxed them was unacceptable for something that costly, but with the way shippers throw around loose boxes, the $300 or so to send them on a pallet is money we’ll spent imo.
I’m guessing they were palleted to the states. This happened before so extra precautions should have been in place.
Keyword -"should"
But if it isn't the case maybe the dealer can make an extra effort , who knows even without an extra charge , and inspect the items before shipping them and making sure they are packaged well and not moving inside the box .
Shipping was on the invoice at ~$750. We already had issues on another set of speakers. If the dealer needs more for shipping they should say so and explain why. Every speaker I’ve ordered over let’s say $1000 is freely shipped.

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No, I couldn't agree less. The requirement for the customer is the item is delivered in new condition for the price agreed upon, you shouldn't have to bribe your way to reasonable packaging, handling, and shipping. Asking extra money to improve chances of reasonable delivery is sleazy. And, to be clear, the OP's speaker got damaged because the packaging didn't meet a minimum standard, it would have been a miracle if it made without damage. You write whimsically about various values of expensive gear, realize that transportation is a major cost of some of these esoteric (and heavy) products. If they can't get the shipping right, or turn the delivery into another round of profit-making, they don't deserve to sell product.
According to Keith, there is very little margin on MEG gear. The dealer will send it out however you like. If your a gambler, send it via the free option. I’m not. I’ve shipped and received enough stuff (through my business) to know big heavy items need to be on a pallet. I checked my invoice and I was charged $75 extra for shipping via pallet. There’s no way the dealer was “profit-making” on this as it certainly cost them more than that to send them to me.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
According to Keith, there is very little margin on MEG gear. The dealer will send it out however you like. If your a gambler, send it via the free option. I’m not. I’ve shipped and received enough stuff (through my business) to know big heavy items need to be on a pallet. I checked my invoice and I was charged $75 extra for shipping via pallet. There’s no way the dealer was “profit-making” on this as it certainly cost them more than that to send them to me.
Perhaps it’s just a small margin for me!
But there are no MEG retailers in the U.K. that I am aware of, which speaks volumes and the ones at KMR are I believe on loan.
Keith

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I obviously don't know but I suspect the speaker was damaged in transit from the manufacturer to dealer. I mean they put the speaker in the wrong box with the wrong packing inserts. Pretty inept way to handle any item of this cost. If I were to move forward with one more try I would make sure the dealer inspected the speakers upon arrival and I agree with them being on a pallet no way would I have them shipped any other way.

MAB

Major Contributor
Hmm... I got the same Genelecs as you, they were delivered freight, double-boxed, wrapped onto a pallet, shipping was included in the cost. It looked like the pallet was the same they were shipped from Genelec to the vendor. If they got damaged, pallet or not, the financial burden would be on the vendor or shipper. So it would never occur to me to pay the vendor to save the vendor from additional liability if damaged in transit. If they had told me that shipping was extra, I would have taken it into account in my purchase based on cost. If they had told me that there was some sort of white-glove shipping, I would likely have shopped elsewhere. If they had a history of shipping damaged, and were asking for more money, I would have gone nuts!
(IDK, hope I am not talking past you!!!)

RobL

Hmm... I got the same Genelecs as you, they were delivered freight, double-boxed, wrapped onto a pallet, shipping was included in the cost. It looked like the pallet was the same they were shipped from Genelec to the vendor. If they got damaged, pallet or not, the financial burden would be on the vendor or shipper. So it would never occur to me to pay the vendor to save the vendor from additional liability if damaged in transit. If they had told me that shipping was extra, I would have taken it into account in my purchase based on cost. If they had told me that there was some sort of white-glove shipping, I would likely have shopped elsewhere. If they had a history of shipping damaged, and were asking for more money, I would have gone nuts!
(IDK, hope I am not talking past you!!!)
No, I don’t think we’re talking past each other. From what I’ve heard, US dealers won’t offer any discount on Genelec gear. I got a pretty substantial discount from retail on my pair here in Canada ( I paid about US$3550 each) so an extra shipping charge wasn’t a deal breaker for me.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
No, I don’t think we’re talking past each other. From what I’ve heard, US dealers won’t offer any discount on Genelec gear. I got a pretty substantial discount from retail on my pair here in Canada ( I paid about US$3550 each) so an extra shipping charge wasn’t a deal breaker for me.
Canada is the best country in the world

MAB

Major Contributor
Got it. Like you say many ways to judge equivalency. I need to drive up to Vancouver apparently.;)

RobL

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 67
Top Bottom