• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why do passive speakers still exist?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For the same amount of output power a power cable for an active speaker can be thinner than a speaker cable for a passive speaker. Higher voltage means lower current.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
A refurbished set of B&O Beovox Penta speakers would be a perfect fit...

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For the same amount of output power a power cable for an active speaker can be thinner than a speaker cable for a passive speaker. Higher voltage means lower current.
Yeah, but the active speaker will also require an AC mains power cord. That requirement is why my four ambience/surround speaker are -- and probably will remain -- passive models even though my much less distant L+R speakers and subwoofer are active.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, but the active speaker will also require an AC mains power cord. That requirement is why my four ambience/surround speaker are -- and probably will remain -- passive models even though my much less distant L+R speakers and subwoofer are active.
I do talk about the AC mains power cord. With actives like the KEF wireless it's the only cable you need.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I use my LS60s with the TV there is no lip sync issue if that’s what you mean.
Keith

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
Do you how much latency the wireless adds?
...and even if latency is a non-issue, you'd still have to supply AC power, which means say goodbye to using a power strip to control overall system power unless you run an inconveniently long mains (or 12V trigger) cable.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You are kidding, are you not?
One extra power cord, against not having speaker cables, not having poweramps, and possibly a preamp or a DAC!
The last power cord I had visible in my living room my wife hid it with fake ivy.
I can't fathom what might happen with 2 (starter) & then 4 or more active speaker with power cords: perhaps divorce?

Penelinfi

...and even if latency is a non-issue, you'd still have to supply AC power, which means say goodbye to using a power strip to control overall system power unless you run an inconveniently long mains (or 12V trigger) cable.
Use wireless control switches/powerboard?

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
Use wireless control switches/powerboard?
My 6.1 configuration already has enough gizmos. Honestly, the function of my four DSP-EQed ambience/surround speakers is so undemanding that I doubt the effect replacing them with suitable active models would even be audible.

Svet Angelov

$100-200 for additional power points. Tail wags dog.

Oh wait, are you a tenant? Even landlords normally agree to this, as a safety and modernisation measure.
Nope,not a tenant, but in the near future I just don't see an opportunity to install one or two more outlets. Which I'm kind of sad about!

I also need heavy speakers that my 7kg cats won't topple over:D stands just don't cut it..

Penelinfi

Nope,not a tenant, but in the near future I just don't see an opportunity to install one or two more outlets. Which I'm kind of sad about!

I also need heavy speakers that my 7kg cats won't topple over:D stands just don't cut it..
You only need stands with a wide enough base and weight at the bottom. Firmly attach the speaker to it. Threaded insert maybe. "Alien Tape", blutack.

Penelinfi

My 6.1 configuration already has enough gizmos. Honestly, the function of my four DSP-EQed ambience/surround speakers is so undemanding that I doubt the effect replacing them with suitable active models would even be audible.
It was more a response to "not being able to switch on devices from one place" rather than improvements from active vs passive . I'm fine with passive too.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
My LS50 WII are plugged to a strip which is conveniently hidden within the furniture.

That issue is dependant on room arrangements, and while an issue indeed, it can be fixed.

Going multichannel on actives? Genelec has shown cases of it and yes, it is harder to integrate than passives, but still doable.

Top Bottom