• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WARNING: Geithain - Vintage King Order Problems - USA Customers...Passives next?

MKR

Major Contributor
This is surprising and somewhat disappointing, after all the talk...
Not having a go at Soundfield - i gave them the benefit of the doubt, but I was interested and hoping you were going to provide more of an insight, other than "they sound amazing", which is all I hear about them and just doesnt cut it around here.

Your lack of measuring at home also raises some interesting discussion. Amir points out that eq/dsp below transition is essential no matter how expensive the speaker - in fact probably will have the biggest effect of all for us home enthusiasts. Very strange you dont seek to address this, my experience is it can only be done by measuring??

Having a unique speaker, and a measuring rig, but not measuring - should be a crime lol!
I agree, and I am kicking myself! I got a bit lost in just enjoying the music from the Frankens, didn’t think much about measuring after a time, life got in the way, then before I knew it I had to send them back, blah blah. Bad excuses I know, but the truth. I literally fully spaced measuring them until y’all just brought it up here today :facepalm: … 1000 lashings with a wet noodle, sorry, I failed y’all

OP
P

prestigetone

This is surprising and somewhat disappointing, after all the talk...
Not having a go at Soundfield - i gave them the benefit of the doubt, but I was interested and hoping you were going to provide more of an insight, other than "they sound amazing", which is all I hear about them and just doesnt cut it around here.

Your lack of measuring at home also raises some interesting discussion. Amir points out that eq/dsp below transition is essential no matter how expensive the speaker - in fact probably will have the biggest effect of all for us home enthusiasts. Very strange you dont seek to address this, my experience is it can only be done by measuring??

Having a unique speaker, and a measuring rig, but not measuring - should be a crime lol!
Fully agree

Last edited:

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I browse Reverb and have noticed Vintage King periodically will advertise they have Geithain in stock but it's always a single. At the moment they say they have 1 single - RL901K , single RL801K b stock and a single RL930K and RL 906 b stock. Wonder why ? Who buys 1 of these speakers?

OP
P

prestigetone

I browse Reverb and have noticed Vintage King periodically will advertise they have Geithain in stock but it's always a single. At the moment they say they have 1 single - RL901K , single RL801K b stock and a single RL930K. Wonder why ? Who buys 1 of these speakers?
I saw this too! I think those are pairs they just make it clear the price is just for one as they are sold not as a pair.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I saw this too! I think those are pairs they just make it clear the price is just for one as they are sold not as a pair.
I wondered so I sent them a message through Reverb asking if the 901K was just a single or if they had 2.

Another company has a pair of white 8361a Genelec in stock for $9990.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I browse Reverb and have noticed Vintage King periodically will advertise they have Geithain in stock but it's always a single. At the moment they say they have 1 single - RL901K , single RL801K b stock and a single RL930K and RL 906 b stock. Wonder why ?
So you can listen in mono like @amirm does in his reviews? :cool:

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why would Geithain have cardioid on their subs? Their fr is limited being a subwoofer. I noticed tighter bass but I didn’t measure or correct for it.

Marketing? Ideology/philosophy ?

A cardioid and/or dipole may indeed sound better at a given position than an identically placed monopole.

The issues are
(a) you can’t predict based on rules of thumb (a sophisticated room model fed reasonable information and assumptions may be able to make such predictions) and
(b) you surrender an awful lot of headroom.

OP
P

prestigetone

Marketing? Ideology/philosophy ?

A cardioid and/or dipole may indeed sound better at a given position than an identically placed monopole.

The issues are
(a) you can’t predict based on rules of thumb (a sophisticated room model fed reasonable information and assumptions may be able to make such predictions) and
(b) you surrender an awful lot of headroom.
Thanks for the clarity

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
So if Geithain is much better than Genelec / Neumann
They should be pretty much the best in the world , no ?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So if Geithain is much better than Genelec / Neumann
They should be pretty much the best in the world , no ?
NR5N.gif

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
The neverending hunt for the holy grail ;)
Defintley ;)
Unfortunately the only downside of these Geithains is that they can't be used as nearfields Unlike the Genelecs, even the 8381 can be used @1 meters

poopy

Defintley ;)
Unfortunately the only downside of these Geithains is that they can't be used as nearfields Unlike the Genelecs, even the 8381 can be used @1 meters
Indeed, except a couple of Geithain like the RL944K which are designed for nearfield.

poopy

Defintley ;)
Could be a good thing for you...

You can buy a pair of Genelec 8361a for nearfield and a pair of Geithain RL901K for midfield.

You don't need to make a choice for the 'best' speakers, and your hunt is over :cool:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Indeed, except a couple of Geithain like the RL944K which are designed for nearfield.
This is the pair I tried are they 944?

Typical gloomy photographs sorry.
Keith

Top Bottom