• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Who are you??

Do you build your own audio gear?

• No - I buy retail products.

Votes: 168 63.6%
  • Yes - I build gear designed by others.

Votes: 41 15.5%
  • Yes - I design and build my own gear.

Votes: 45 17.0%
  • Yes - I'm a manufacturer of audio gear.

Votes: 10 3.8%

• Total voters

gfinlays

I've built my last 4 pairs of speakers from designs from the internet. Currently running a pair of John Krutke's (Zaph Audio) ZRT 2s in a sealed standmount enclosure. I generally find you can build a pair of speakers that will easily outperform commercial designs costing many times more. Currently have all the bits to build a pair of Troels Gravesen's "Poor Man's Strad" including enough weave and resin to wrap the finished cabinets in shiny black carbon fibre. Hoping I'll finally make a proper start to them in late summer)early autumn.

I generally make most of my own cables, hi-fi racks etc. and recently assembled 2 X RPi endpoints running Ropiee with touchscreen and powered via PoE.

Do all of my own networking stuff too and getting fairly adept at installing temperature controlled fans into network cabinets. The first photo is the enclosure to replace my untidy setup in the kitchen cupboard. Can't fit a proper network cabinet in there, so welded up my own box from chequerplate. 2 X 24 port Cat6 patch panels, Ubiquiti UDM Pro and Dell X1052P to go in there. Second photo is the server cab in my office. Synology RS3617xs Rackstation and RX1217 which host my Roon core, Plex server and look after all of the IP cameras and file storage live in there, plus the network switch and my water-cooled desktop PC now in a Silverstone rack mount case.

Attachments

• 20210710_000600.jpg
    20210710_000600.jpg
    420.2 KB · Views: 141
  • 20210314_171819.jpg
    20210314_171819.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
OP
tomchr

tomchr

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Dang. Pretty serious server.

Tom

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've built my last 4 pairs of speakers from designs from the internet. Currently running a pair of John Krutke's (Zaph Audio) ZRT 2s in a sealed standpoint enclosure. I generally find you can build a pair of speakers that will easily outperform commercial designs costing many times more. Currently have all the bits to build a pair of Troels Gravesen's "Poor Man's Strad" including enough weave and resin to wrap the finished cabinets in shiny black carbon fibre. Hoping I'll finally make a proper start to them in late summer)early autumn.

I generally make most of my own cables, hi-fi racks etc. and recently assembled 2 X RPi endpoints running Ropiee with touchscreen and powered via PoE.

Do all of my own networking stuff too and getting fairly adept at installing temperature controlled fans into network cabinets. The first photo is the enclosure to replace my untidy setup in the kitchen cupboard. Can't fit a proper network cabinet in there, so welded up my own box from chequerplate. 2 X 24 port Cat6 patch panels, Ubiquiti UDM Pro and Dell X1052P to go in there. Second photo is the server cab in my office. Synology RS3617xs Rackstation and RX1217 which host my Roon core, Plex server and look after all of the IP cameras and file storage live in there, plus the network switch and my water-cooled desktop PC now in a Silverstone rack mount case.

That is some serious horsepower in that server rack and it' sexy AF!!

gfinlays

That is some serious horsepower in that server rack and it' sexy AF!!
Thanks. Server racks aren't usually the prettiest of objects, so I did my best to make it look half way decent!;)

There are 4 X 120mm roof fans controlled by an Inkbird thermostat to keep everything at a sensible temperature. I knocked up the mesh grille panel in my workshop and painted it black to match everything else. The Silverstone PC case was a great find. It replaced a mahoosive Corsair Obsidian case that I bought back in 2012. I also found a Silverstone remote on/of for it so I can turn it on and off without having to open the server rack every time!:D

Murray A

Forum Donor
I've been doing diy audio design and build for over 55 years. Was employed in product development of high end audio products from 1990 to 2000. Have owned and used most of the significant audio test gear ever made. Currently own an APX555 among others.

bench1.jpg

Last edited:

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Built two Heathkits in 70’s. Then a pop and noise eliminator for a turntable. Repaired about 6 integrated amps. Most recently built a Fet front end pair of driver boards for a Hafler 220, designed a breadboard circuit for it to control inrush. Fixed two Adcom amps. Mostly easy stuff, worst one ever being a heavily abused Luxman L100 (that’s a pretty amp, but it’s power supply is a crazy design).

I enjoy fixing amps almost as much as listening to them.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm usually invested only when there is some sort of benefit.

like bigger bang for the buck or to achieve performance levels that are not achieved commercially.

However this is often far far from reality, it often costs more, takes time, and exposes me to toxic fumes. not to mention that there is a chance of hurting yourself all the time.

Building your own DAC is pretty much impossible unless you're a fully fledged electric engineer with background in signal processing.

i can't think of any DIY amp that would offer something that @boXem | audio 's lineup would not.

As for speakers I feel like aesthetics play too much of a role for someone to seriously consider DIY, and even then, wood work requires a dedicated space and experience.

So all in all DIY in audio is not really realistic at all.

Last edited:

gfinlays

As for speakers I feel like aesthetics play too much of a role for someone to seriously consider DIY, and even then, wood work requires a dedicated space and experience.

I think it's very much down to the skill of the individual. I've built some very nice looking speakers in the past and seen some stunning examples from DIYers that would rival the finish on even some of the most high-end commercial designs.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it's very much down to the skill of the individual. I've built some very nice looking speakers in the past and seen some stunning examples from DIYers that would rival the finish on even some of the most high-end commercial designs.

I'm really waiting for someone to come up with a design that can be 3D printed because i don't have the space or experience for wood work at all.

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
even though i picked the pure consumer category -
i stopped tinkering when i lost interest in car audio (especially when it all went slightly overboard with the fiberglass builds in the mid 00's)

still do like to put together all my audio cables

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I don't make my own stuff but I used to destroy stuff in testing. Once you get addicted to letting the smoke out of speakers, it is hard to kick the habit!

Last edited:

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not too much all-original design work here: I can often get what I need from semiconductor datasheets and application notes.

Have built at least a dozen amps, a few preamps, one or two tuners, a DAC, portable and shortwave radios, speakers (most complex being Linkwitz Pluto), an ultrasonic cleaner, and a bunch of other stuff I don't recall.

In 2020, I completed one of these Douglas Self-designed preamps:
http://www.signaltransfer.freeuk.com/preamp.htm

I've got a Russian "Malahit" software-defined radio in my build queue:
http://hamforum.ru/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=193

I do film camera repairs too, the latest being a Bronica ETRSI, Olympus OM1 and Nikon F3.

Toying with the idea of venturing into watch repairs as I got a free but broken Oriental "Bambino".

My tools are pretty basic but do include a PCB heater, microscope, hot air station and late-model Hakko soldering station.

Grumple

Forum Donor
I've been away for a while so sorry for reviving an old thread, if anyone cares. I'm just in the process of desgining (picking other peoples components to put together) my "end game" Mega Pre. Using various kits that other people have designed it will be a streamer/pre with phono stage, VU meters, NUC with 4k Screen and various inputs and outputs.

I set on collecting and assembling it myself after reading various threads on here and having my eyes opened to just how little SOTA equipment really matters given how easily confused my decidedly flawed brain is. Once again I am indebted to ASR and all those on here for making me enjoy HiFi once again. My wife is also making me a Scagliola case to make it look fancy. I'll post pics when finished in the appropriate place :)

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I fear for my safety and that of those around me if I have to do much more than unbox and plug gear in.
We need you over at A Call for Humor thread. In is intuitively obvious to the most casual observer that you are a natural comedian. :D;)

TerryO

Interesting discussion. I started as a DIY Guy in the mid "70's " due to a lack of money and kept on DIY'ing due to an abundance of kids! I did organize an Audio DIY Club several years ago that has been somewhat successful and certainly a fair amount of fun. We build all kinds of projects from Tube and Solid State amplification to DACs...both kits and original designs and everything else in between!

rgpit

Forum Donor
I build some stuff and buy some stuff. That needs to be one of the answer options.

Adaboy4z

When it comes to Home audio I purchase. Ive built every subwoofer enclosure for my cars and did the custom installs from head units, wiring, to components.

harm

Babylon 5 Galen?

"What do you want? Where are you going? Who do you serve and who do you trust?"

Last edited:

Bathrone

I don't make my own stuff but I used to destroy stuff it in testing. Once you get addicted to letting the smoke out of speakers, it is hard to kick the habit!
Haha cool thats what I tend to do too :) Nothing wrong with helping out through T&E or V&V

Some of you guys talking bout doing your own speakers has me motivated on the idea. It can be really cost effective for what can be done. Ive had the privilege of listening to some and I thought they were cool.

Top Bottom