• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

There is nothing holy about the signal

Is the signal holy?

• Yes it is

Votes: 18 16.7%
  • No it isn't

Votes: 83 76.9%
  • Undecided / No opinion

Votes: 7 6.5%

• Total voters

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Crappy signals can be hole-y if they have dropouts in them. I don't like genuflecting that much, though.
For years I've found it almost mandatory to genuflect whenever I had to closely approach my audio systems shrine.
Thankfully (with my old knees) having todays modern remote controls, I don't have to get out of my recliner often. :p

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Indeed. Plus, I reckon genuflectings overrated. Hard on the knees.
Music, however is defo religious/righteous.
With or without wine, religious wafers (or whatever ones current sacrement of choice be.)

Last edited:

Chr1

Forum Donor
Just proud to say I haven't genuflected @ the porcelain god for a very long time.

Stopped mixing tequila and red wine.

egellings

Major Contributor
For years I've found it almost mandatory to genuflect whenever I had to closely approach my audio systems shrine.
Thankfully (with my old knees) having todays modern remote controls, I don't have to get out of my recliner often. :p
I also make the sign of the triode while genuflecting in front of my setup: "In the name of the anode, and of the grid, and of the holy cathode, amen". I make the plate symbol on my forehead, dot my face horizontally below the nose for the grid, and make the cathode symbol below the mouth. Blasphemous!

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Some of the more liberally minded of the faith have subscribed to the doctrine of indirect heat.

1712433500538.jpeg

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I'll stop now, but I cannot abandon this digression without at least a nod to the late and truly bizarre Dr. Harvey "Gizmo" Rosenberg, he of the 1980s/90s Triode Cult ahem I mean Guild.

Dr. Gizmo was the Andy Kaufman of vacuum tube audio.

1712433811655.jpeg

Chr1

Forum Donor
Tho I do not subscribe to one god/belief system, my VTL ST-85 was sole heat source in my living room this winter.
Alternated between Tannoys/valves and KH310s.
No one God shall be my master.
Ken.

And, dayuum. Looks like Dr Gonzo, Mr Hunter S Thompson there.
Marvelous!

PS What are the Tannoys?
I have the same tweets.

Last edited:

Chr1

Forum Donor
I'll stop now, but I cannot abandon this digression without at least a nod to the late and truly bizarre Dr. Harvey "Gizmo" Rosenberg, he of the 1980s/90s Triode Cult ahem I mean Guild.

Dr. Gizmo was the Andy Kaufman of vacuum tube audio.

View attachment 361898
Just had a chance to check the link.
I have seen the light.

Still curious about the Tannoys tho. 15" Dual concentric with the 3133/3833 tulip tweeter...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Still curious about the Tannoys tho. 15" Dual concentric with the 3133/3833 tulip tweeter...
Me too. I really enjoy a woofer tweeter package like this a la like KEFs Uni-Q etc. I heard that Tannoys are bright sounding. Would be nice if somebody in the know can chime in on that.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The Tannoy coaxes that visited me some years back were very good.

Chr1

Forum Donor
Most Tannoys are definitely not bright in my opinion.
And with a bit of EQ, I think as enjoyable as my Neumanns. To me. Different for sure. But v good.

Chr1

Forum Donor
Anyhoo, we digress...

Back on topic.
Is that signal holy?

Yay or nay?
And why?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
On topic (if somewhat metaphysically) -- well, were there no acoustic longitudinal wave (i.e., signal) to transduce, record/store, amplify/contour, and transduce again (right back to that acoustic wave :)), there'd be no need for the rest of it, now, would there?

So, yeah, it is kind of important -- existentially so, I'd opine.

PS "Holy" means set apart. Definitions can come in handy, too. :)

Chr1

Forum Donor
I agree. But which was first?

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As others have already mentioned - starting off with gear that is as transparent as possible is the best possible scenario. Put it in a room and automatically you're going to need some help taming some parts of spectrum though. Room treatment helps but useless unless you know what you're targeting so a decent measurement mic and developed skills with a couple pieces of software are handy to have. This is already going too far for most people.

Not long ago there was more definition between the terms DRC and DSP.
All DRC is DSP but not all DSP is DRC.
Everyone can benefit from DRC, most could benefit from adding DSP.

We all know people who have swapped amps, cables, snake-oil-whatever to tame their prized but inappropriate speakers and there are also plenty of us who have spent days taming room sweeps and phase correction to +/- .5dB only to hear the horrible results

So yes, I want to maintain the original quality of the studio mix I'm listening to on my stereo. But in order to successfully do that alterations are done to assure that the listening area represents the information from that studio mix. Yup, I've played with all kinds of VST plugins too though none of them have stayed active in the signal chain.

LightninBoy

Every time I read about the issues that the "circle of confusion" creates, I wonder if a certification body could create a standard for studio mastering rooms. So that the systems used for final mix and mastering were measured and certified to meet some idealized FR curve, RT60 and any other critical standards. The resulting recordings would then be labeled so consumers would know the recordings were created under defined conditions. And that would also provide an objective target for audio enthusiasts to aspire to when building their home systems.

It would also help the hobby music producer select the gear that gets them closest to this standard.

BTW - I voted yes. I still think of this hobby as "hi fi". So that begs the question, high fidelity to what? And the only logical answer is: the recorded signal. And its *high* fidelity, not *perfect* fidelity. So I don't agree that the inability to perfectly recreate the signal as it sounded in that final mix/master session means that all fidelity standards should be ignored.

Top Bottom