• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Where are the Chinese phono cartridges? I'm tired of snake oil and ridiculous pricing

raindance

Major Contributor
There were also several fairly well-stocked second hand record stores in Manchester which is only 25 minutes away on the train, so back in the 1990s I would go up there several times a year and get a big haul. That was before prices for s/h vinyl went crazy though.

When we lived in Cheshire in the early 2000's we'd go to an annual record sale in Buxton. It was usually well stocked and interesting. Plus Buxton is just such a lovely place.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Check out the Stereophile article about a company in China, DYLP Audio. Hand made and fairly expensive but not into the vinyl thing so can't remark on their value. Mikey loves them tho... They sent him 3 carts, A $1200, a $350 and a $325 cart but these are purportedly at the bottom of their price range. One of their carts sells for $2899. In the April issue.

Zensō

Major Contributor
99DBF07E-C489-4090-8376-C98D493265A2.jpeg

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Most cartridges are made (and distributed) in VERY small quantities and that adds to the production, marketing, and distribution cost. Plus, when you sell things in small quantities you need a bigger profit margin to stay in business. And yes, the higher the price the more desirable it is to "audiophiles".

Back when I was playing records I felt the "sweet spot" was Shure's best, which was around $100 USD or maybe a little more. I still have it and that's what I use when I occasionally digitize vinyl. If I was buying a cartridge today I'd look for something similar. It just doesn't make sense to "go crazy" when the record itself is the weak point.

The main difference in "sound" is frequency response and in the old days records varied a LOT. I assume records are better now, but if you can find two different test-records, I'm pretty sure the same cartridge would measure differently on different test-records. And, you can tweak frequency response with EQ anyway...

If I plug $100 in 1980 into an online inflation calculator I get $349. Wow! That seems like a lot!

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
Yes, good for medium to higher mass arms. My favorite is the VM540ML which has a slightly higher compliance and so works better on lighter arms. These styli track all the way to the end without getting fuzzy sounding. They are bright sounding cartridges and require very low capacitive loading to prevent this.

I might be selling my VM540ML; I've been trying to sell my TT with no success, so might just sell separately...
The 540 has a posher body internal and supposedly posher wiring too. It *should* be better than the 95ML especially in terms of separation. The German Lowbeats site has full measurements (too lazy to look it up but easily Googled and read if you have a translator in your browser).

Godataloss

The ridiculous price of replacement styli was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. £250 every six months? Just not worth it.

Added to which the cost of buying more albums, even second-hand, is ludicrous. I can get second-hand CDs for a pound a go, bought three just the other day which would have been at least a tenner each if I'd got them on second-hand vinyl and £20 to £30 each if bought new.

I agree that there is profiteering going on with cartridges but the die hards just don't seem to care. Which is why there's profiteering going on.
Why on earth would you have to replace a stylus that often? The better profiles last years and years if you properly clean and store your records.

raindance

Major Contributor
2,000 hours is suggested lifespan for a microline stylus. If you play records for an hour a day that's more than 5 years. They're well worth the money.

sq225917

Major Contributor
A namiki line contact stylus on boron canti, no other parts is c$300 in single quantities. Figure oems are paying 1/2 of that in modest volumes, midtown high double digits and no one I'd getting rich quick in the sub 2000 buck cart market, the volumes are tiny, the cost of stock high.

Digby

Major Contributor
They are bright sounding cartridges and require very low capacitive loading to prevent this.
Can you explain the reason for this. These are (AT440/VM540 and so on) relatively cheap cartridges, should they really require special measures to get them sounding correct?

A lot of people run them as is and say they have extra "detail", when in reality it is a tilted FR :facepalm:.

Last edited:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A lot of people run them as is and say they have extra "detail", when in reality it is a tilted FR :facepalm:.
It matches age related loss of sensitivity :cool:

I have listened to AT-VM95ML and AT-VM95E on the same record player and couldn't make out a difference, to be honest. Maybe the AT-VM95ML was less prone to dust/pops. Maybe. For that alone i recommend the AT-VM95ML. If i had only new records i would just use the cheap AT-VM95E and be done with it. They both measure very good.

Much of the differences in cartridges seem so minute, they might as well just be in my head. I'm sure it's the same with you guys.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why on earth would you have to replace a stylus that often? The better profiles last years and years if you properly clean and store your records.
20 to 30 hours a week of use. Records all properly cleaned on Moth MK2. Styli don't last anything like 2000 hours regardless of type.
people who only play records one or two hours a week might get that impression I suppose. But it's wrong.

Look at what Nagaoka themselves say. They are possibly the only manufacturer that is honest about stylus life. A worn tip will start damaging records long before you hear that it is on its way out.

TrevC

It matches age related loss of sensitivity :cool:

I have listened to AT-VM95ML and AT-VM95E on the same record player and couldn't make out a difference, to be honest. Maybe the AT-VM95ML was less prone to dust/pops. Maybe. For that alone i recommend the AT-VM95ML. If i had only new records i would just use the cheap AT-VM95E and be done with it. They both measure very good.

Much of the differences in cartridges seem so minute, they might as well just be in my head. I'm sure it's the same with you guys.
The differences can be slight on the easy to track albums but are large when you compare end of side tracking on more challenging ones. The VM95ML will play tracks like Armistice Day (Paul Simon) and Save Me (Joan Armatrading) without distortion. I tried the more expensive SH, (Shibata) and that isn't as good.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As Tina Turner asked, Whats cost have to do with it?" errr i think that is how the song goes.
There is no one that stays in business that prices their product based upon cost so why bring it up? (except for those companies doing business with the goverment and are forced to do so).
This question is brought up in almost every thread and shows that objectivists understand nothing about marketing and capitalizm

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no one that stays in business that prices their product based upon cost
Every business I ever worked for did or they would have gone bust through lack of customers.

But then I never worked for a business that sold Veblen goods which at least some pickup cartridges certainly are.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Every business I ever worked for did or they would have gone bust through lack of customers.

So, you go to a restaurant and tell them their salad is overpriced, since it has about 15 cents worth of lettuce and dressing?

I certainly don't sell based on my cost in my business...I charge based on value offered. I'm not about to go bust.

raindance

Major Contributor
Anyone quoting 2000 hours is living in a dream. 500-1000 absolute tops.
We're talking SPECIFICALLY about AT microline styli. In my experience, they last a very long time and if you don't manage to break the diamond off the cantilever and the cantilever suspension doesn't collapse, you'll get this type of lifespan. And no, I'm not living in a dream.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, you go to a restaurant and tell them their salad is overpriced, since it has about 15 cents worth of lettuce and dressing?

I certainly don't sell based on my cost in my business...I charge based on value offered. I'm not about to go bust.
no but I'm aware that the restaurant has overheads so needs to charge ten to twenty times the cost of ingredients.

You could also argue that expensive restaurants are selling Veblen goods. High prices keep the riff-raff out.

Most businesses compete primarily on price. Why would I buy from you if I can get the exact same goods or services for ten percent less elsewhere?

Obviously I'm over-simplifying as there are other factors, for example I might like you so be willing to pay you the extra ten percent, but essentially the cost of supplying will set a minimum as to what you can charge and still make money. The price your competitors charge will set a maximum as to what you can charge and still attract custom.

Reactions: VQR

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Why would I buy from you if I can get the exact same goods or services for ten percent less elsewhere?

My job as a businessman is to show that there is value built into my higher price. If you are selling piles of rocks, or commodities/commodity services, there isn't much room to add value. In many businesses the real money comes from breaking out of that model and selling on value added, not lowest cost.

In my business almost everyone is cheaper than I am, yet we are only limited by how fast I can hire and train people.

Top Bottom