• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrade DAC from Yamaha R-N303

halfastro

I am considering buying the Bluesound Node X as an upgrade to my beginner audio system. I have tried and failed to find to find information about the DAC in my Yamaha R-N303. Would the DAC in the Bluesound Node X be a noticeable improvement?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably not an audible difference let alone much technical difference. What do you think is lacking with your Yamaha?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am considering buying the Bluesound Node X as an upgrade to my beginner audio system. I have tried and failed to find to find information about the DAC in my Yamaha R-N303. Would the DAC in the Bluesound Node X be a noticeable improvement?
You will probably never hear a difference whether blind testing or not. The differences between decent DACs is tiny and miniscule. If you will hear a difference it will be probably be with headphones but like I said before I highly doubt you can hear a difference.

OP
H

halfastro

Probably not an audible difference let alone much technical difference. What do you think is lacking with your Yamaha?
My Yamaha sounds good to me but I’m new at this and don’t have a lot of experience with a variety of HiFi equipment. I’m also considering the Bluesound Node because I would like to use Roon. Maybe I should save money and get the WiiM Pro since it’s now Roon ready. I could run digital out from it into my Yamaha. Thoughts?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My Yamaha sounds good to me but I’m new at this and don’t have a lot of experience with a variety of HiFi equipment. I’m also considering the Bluesound Node because I would like to use Roon. Maybe I should save money and get the WiiM Pro since it’s now Roon ready. I could run digital out from it into my Yamaha. Thoughts?
Yes, I have thoughts. Are you using PEQ (Parametric Equalizer.) If you are not then you should the difference is night and day.

OP
H

halfastro

Yes, I have thoughts. Are you using PEQ (Parametric Equalizer.) If you are not then you should the difference is night and day.
Okay help me here. Is the PEQ additional hardware or is it like the equalizer in the WiiM and Bluesound apps?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay help me here. Is the PEQ additional hardware or is it like the equalizer in the WiiM and Bluesound apps?
It might be like the EQ in those apps but a parametric EQ has more adjustments and crossfeed and maybe another 20 interesting features for the one I am suggesting.
z Screenshot 2023-04-08 230137.png

Overseas

Major Contributor
Try to test a very decent DAC like, say Topping E50. If you feel no difference, then dont bother. If you feel an upgrade, it is not that expensive.

Snoopy

Major Contributor

The Yamaha supports airplay. He could just use roon with PEQ + AirPlay for now.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If using the PC as a source. Install EQ APO and then install Peace Equalizer. Open Peace Equalizer and setup as required and then start adjusting the EQ and if you look there is a EFFECTS button. Clicking that will open another window of effects.
I also suggest if you install Peace EQ to disable the auto updates because the DAC settings can be forgotten when a update occurs. It's easy to fix and requires several seconds if one knows where to go on the PC but it's easier to just disable the auto update.

Top Bottom