• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wiim Pro Plus + Fosi V3/BT20a Pro OR Yamaha R-N303?

lerp

Hello everyone!

I just picked up a pair of Definitive Technology BP-9020 speakers for a killer deal and am trying to decide which route to go with regards to amplification/interface. Budget is around the $300-350 USD range. I was planning on going with the Yamaha R-N303, but am wondering if combining something like a Fosi Audio V3 with a Wiim Pro Plus might be the better option.

Things that are important/relevant for me:
  1. Amp must have enough power. These speakers recommend minimum input of 50 watts, max of 200 watts. Essentially the more power I can get at this price range, the better.
  2. Wifi. This setup will be used for streaming music (spotify, youtube, etc.), listening to records via turn table, and ideally plugged into the TV for movie watching/youtube. I want the wifi capability to listen to music at higher fidelity (compared to bluetooth).
At first I liked the Yamaha because it puts out 100W into 8 ohms, though at 0.2% THD, and SNR of 100dB. It also has built in wifi. The Fosi setup, however, can put out 89W @ 8ohms (per Amir's review on this site), SNR of 110dB, and only 0.003% THD. So even though the Fosi would put out less power, it would technically be more efficient due to the much lower THD. Right?

I have also read that the Wiim app is pretty good, easy to use, while the Yamaha wifi setup can be tricky for some people. What setup makes more sense? They are about the same price. Is there any other setup that I should consider?

Appreciate any input and guidance!

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
It may be paranoia, but my inclination is to keep "smart" products separate, those things are internet connected with app controlled, firmware and software. It seems that too often that these things can be abandoned by the manufactures and stop receiving updates, etc.. and sometimes cease to function completely.

How many people have "smart" TVs that no longer work: https://www.choice.com.au/electroni...d-projectors/articles/op-ed-smart-tv-lifespan

Whereas an amplifier is an amplifier.

While there are some very nice looking "all-in-one" products available, my inclination would be to go for separate amp, which might last decades, whilst you're at the mercy of the manufacturer when it comes to "smart" products.

OP
lerp

lerp

After doing hours more research, I am now considering a Yamaha R-N602 (which I found for the same price as the R-N303), OR, I could shell out a little extra money for a Yamaha A-S501, and then add a Wiim Mini. From what I am seeing online, it seems the A-S line from Yamaha are better built and have improved sound quality over the R-N line.

Any input on this? I want my speakers to sound good, and I really like being able to hear the clarity of different sounds and instruments, but is that something I will actually notice between the R-N303, R-N602, and A-S501? I am also wondering if the internal components are much better in the 602 compared to the 303.

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
After doing hours more research, I am now considering a Yamaha R-N602 (which I found for the same price as the R-N303), OR, I could shell out a little extra money for a Yamaha A-S501, and then add a Wiim Mini. From what I am seeing online, it seems the A-S line from Yamaha are better built and have improved sound quality over the R-N line.

Any input on this? I want my speakers to sound good, and I really like being able to hear the clarity of different sounds and instruments, but is that something I will actually notice between the R-N303, R-N602, and A-S501? I am also wondering if the internal components are much better in the 602 compared to the 303.
I doubt I would hear a difference between the three choices you mention. Consider choosing the option that provides the functionality you desire with the most convenience.

Another option is to use the analog line output of a WiiM 'Pro' or WiiM 'Pro Plus' streaming device be a source for the unbalanced, RCA inputs on a Fosi Audio ZA3 speaker amplifier. Either WiiM has a 12 volt trigger output that can signal the 12 volt trigger input on the Fosi ZA3. A 'balanced' DAC - with or without built-in headphone amplifier - could be added between a WiiM and the ZA3 at a later date to create a system with protection against hum from AC power ground loops.

Pep2020

If the Wiim Pro Plus is used as a source for RCA connections on Fosi ZA3 you will be using the Wiim to perform volume changes. Will this have a performance degradation??

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Will this have a performance degradation??
Yes but in practice it's a very small one and generally not audible. Digital volume attenuation will only cause audible problems if you're using 16 bits, you turn the volume down digitally and then amplify it quite a bit. With 24 or 32 bit, the extra noise won't be audible unless you intentionally abuse your system to hear it.

Pep2020

Thanks. I guess the issue is that most of my digital content is 16 bit.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. I guess the issue is that most of my digital content is 16 bit.
Even if the content itself is 16 bit, the WiiM *probably* (I haven't checked) will use 32-bit processing, including for volume control. In 2024 16-bit DSP is antique. Anything where quality is a factor has been using 32-bit internally for quite some time.

So it's probably fine anyway.

BenjaminB

The N602 is superior to N303, thus for the same money the choice is easy. Can you hear the difference? Maybe not. Still N602.

The A-S501 is clearly better then N602. But it does not have exactly the same functionality! So, yes you would have to ass eg a Wiim mini/pro/+. More money as well.

The R-N series are stereo receivers, as such you get all in a packet. With the A-S things you have to set up your own system, which will cost you in time and money.
Thus, this is for you to decide what you want now and in the future.

Pep2020

Even if the content itself is 16 bit, the WiiM *probably* (I haven't checked) will use 32-bit processing, including for volume control. In 2024 16-bit DSP is antique. Anything where quality is a factor has been using 32-bit internally for quite some time.

So it's probably fine anyway.
In the user manual for the Pro + it states the following so looks like it's a non-issue

"Analog Audio Output: It supports up to 384kHz, 32-bit with its internal DAC. You won’t lose precision when using volume control with analog output for 16-bit or 24-bit audio."

Top Bottom