• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is it with the KEF Blade (meta)?

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I don't know if it's a downgrade, upgrade, lateral move or just economics, but the new Blade meta and Reference meta now use the same mid/tweeter while the previous blade had it's own uniq.
So theoretically Reference Meta+ subs could sound exactly like the Blade One Meta?

Morpheus

Forum Donor
Interesting, I thought the Genelec the Ones look kind of cool! But then again I am a geek :)

That's a different kettle of fish... I think someone that likes a KEF LS 50, and there are loads, may perfectly be ok with the smaller Gen. Ones, especially in white or bespoke finishes, particularily if you put them atop a sideboard or a media center furniture piece..The bigger 85s and 86s will struggle a lot get into your living room, their size makes them not cute any more and kind of strange, and sort of mandate the make stands wich in my view do not do them any favors. I think they needed some swooping stuff bolted from the back ( at those VESA mounting screws) think Vivid mates with Sonus Faber Liuto/Amator stands or something thereabout, to look organic and congruent.

Morpheus

Forum Donor
So theoretically Reference Meta+ subs could sound exactly like the Blade One Meta?

The dispersion and frequency smoothness that continuously curved baffle and UniQ surrounding material/waveguide plus force cancelling and apparent single source those bass drivers arrangement afford, should make them sound different I would expect... the REF is really just a most excellent monkey coffin, pardon my english, but the Blades just take it two steps further in objective acoustic design exellence.
I heard the Blades very shortly and was not floored by them, they sounded almost too clean and focused, but would love to have another go. Love or hate it, the whole design choices sure are fully science guided and validated and a few steps ahead of their current REF series.

steve59

Major Contributor
Maybe even better? The Ref comes with port plugs to tune bass to the room.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
KEF. Genelec just recently joined the coax game. Noone has the know how of KEF when it comes to KEF.
You’d be surprised. They were working on it years before they knew KEF’s patent would expire. There’s no doubt KEF has the time advantage but there is still about 20 years of work that went into the Genelec coax. It didn’t just pop up yesterday.

Having said that I too would be curious to understand what differences there are in those drivers.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
You’d be surprised. They were working on it years before they knew KEF’s patent would expire. There’s no doubt KEF has the time advantage but there is still about 20 years of work that went into the Genelec coax. It didn’t just pop up yesterday.

Having said that I too would be curious to understand what differences there are in those drivers.
Also the Genelec coaxial driver might have an advantage as it's part of an active speaker and not passive like the KEF.
But it's just a guess .
I don't know how it's possible to measure and compare only the coaxial drivers .

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also the Genelec coaxial driver might have an advantage as it's part of an active speaker and not passive like the KEF.
But it's just a guess .
I don't know how it's possible to measure and compare only the coaxial drivers .
I mean I look at that as a separate thing. We are just talking about drivers only.

There is one way. To remove the drivers and apply a DSP crossover to both hook up to identical amps and test.

Maybe use something like accourate for both.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I mean I look at that as a separate thing. We are just talking about drivers only.

There is one way. To remove the drivers and apply a DSP crossover to both hook up to identical amps and test.

Maybe use something like accourate for both.
Maybe Amir could do that;)

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
PJ5k must finally understand that there don't exist black-white answers for the questions he usually asks and a loudspeaker can be only seen as total system so most important is the total engineering and integration of the individual components. For example you can have great drivers but integrate them poorly so a loudspeaker with simpler drivers can be better as a total. Also in the end at such high levels individual preferences, room acoustics and listening distance play a role and can change the sequence of preference.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
PJ5k must finally understand that there don't exist black-white answers for the questions he usually asks and a loudspeaker can be only seen as total system so most important is the total engineering and integration of the individual components. For example you can have great drivers but integrate them poorly so a loudspeaker with simpler drivers can be better as a total. Also in the end at such high levels individual preferences, room acoustics and listening distance play a role and can change the sequence of preference.
But you must admit it's still intriguing which coaxial driver is better Genelec or KEF ;)
But yeah I agree about the rest.

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But you just admit it's still intriguing which coaxial driver is better Genelec or KEF ;)
But yeah I agree about the rest.
Is a BMW or Mercedes better? ;-) If you list a dozen of metrics there will be several where the one is a bit better than the other and vise versa. But as said in this level it doesn't really matter as more important is what you enjoy more and works better in your room and listening distance, so asking others which they prefer won't bring you even a micron further. For example when I moved few years ago I sold my Genelecs and kept my old LS50 although in more disciplines the Gens where objectively better because for the purpose I needed them the KEF worked better for me.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is a BMW or Mercedes better? ;-) If you list a dozen of metrics there will be several where the one is a bit better than the other and vise versa. But as said in this level it doesn't really matter as more important is what you enjoy more and works better in your room and listening distance, so asking others which they prefer won't bring you even a micron further. For example when I moved few years ago I sold my Genelecs and kept my old LS50 although in more disciplines the Gens where objectively better because for the purpose I needed them the KEF worked better for me.
Must be BMW because it's the ultimate driving machine, LOL.

Top Bottom