• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

Lunafag

My main ones are seeaudio yume and audeze lcd-2 closed back, but I also have qkz vk4, tin t2, blon bl-03, nicehck hc5, shuoer tape, sony mh755, cca a10, ath-im02 and smabat st-10s. Tried like 15 other full-size headphones in a shop but they just weren't fit for my music.

LegionOfHell

Sony MA900
Hifiman HE-400
Fostex T50RPMK3
Grado SR225i
M-Audio Q40
KOSS Prodj200
Creative Aurvana Live 2
Sennheiser PX 100-II
Panasonic RP-HTF600-S
KOSS KSC75
KOSS KSC35

My Wishlist:

Sennheiser HD58x
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro
AKG K702
Audio-Technica AD900x

mjh

Sennheiser HD580 (now w/ HD600 grills and HD650 cable)
Bought these new 20 years ago. They remain one of my all-time best audio purchases. The grill mod definitely cleaned up the sound a bit. And I think they look a better, too.

V-Mode M-100
Totally overblown bass, yes, and uneven midrange, but they can be loads of fun. Pretty good when EQed. My go-to headphones for late-night music and movies. Durable, except for the headband pleather covering, which fell apart quickly.

Now pondering the addition of Sundara vs HD650, but not sure I really need either...

Past headphones include:
Etymotic ER-4S - difficult to get a good seal, weak bass... sold pretty quickly (still not an IEM fan)
Grado SR60 - cheap and seemed exciting at first, but quickly became tiring
Sennheiser HD560 Ovation II - my intro to Sennheiser back in university
Koss Porta Pro Jr. (ridiculous style, but wish I still had these!)

Last edited:

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Recently bought the AirPods max and im very impressed, it's a lot of money for headphones (for myself anyway) and despite having borrowed a friends pair back in December I was still dithering over "should I?". Very happy I did as the integration within the apple ecosystem (somewhat unsurprisingly) is so bloody good, from iMac to iPad to iPhone they just pick up on whatever is playing without interruption. Sound quality is exceptional and I'll be keen to see what the new hifi streaming codecs bring to the party in my head. Of particular note (and a nice touch) is the stepless volume adjust with the Digital Crown, very intuitive in use and far better than click buttons or touch sensitive swipes - goes plenty loud enough for myself.

To think back in 2008 I used to carry around a brick of a portable (portable my arse....!) system comprising of an iriver H340 dap connected by stiff Kimber cable to a Ray Samuels Tomahawk headphone amplifier then to Etymotic ER-4P in ear monitors and the AirPods max sound quality and convenience trounces all that unnecessary gubbins into a simple package.

Yeah im sure I could have got more "hi-fi" sound for my £550 but convenience and ease of use trumps cables and amps and dongles every time, a genuine grab n' go mentality will suit me fine.

Currently:

599SE
Grado SR60E
Q701
Denon D2000
PortaPros
Klipsch XR8i

Previously:
DT990
DT770
K701
Grado SR325i
Grado SR60i

Wish I had kept the beyers and grado 325i's.

edahl

Just got the Hifiman HE1000se. Amazing headphone! They sound great stock, but anyone got these tweaking with EQ?

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
I think I made a good move by trying the SRH840, going up against the DT770 and I think i'm starting to not be such a big fan of the Beyers. Going to order some pads next. Way back when I had the 440s and thought they were good.

Bleib

Major Contributor
I own two different AKG.
273 Pro.
Which are my favorites. First time I have been pleased with headphones..I would even purchase a pro pro version if it existed with even lower distortion. The most neutral cans I have ever used. Playing Depeche Mode Broken live studio version makes it sound like the drums are in the room. Sometimes I have to take them off because I'm not quite sure where the sound comes from, the illusion can be that great with certain sounds.

K371. Bought out of curiosity, could they possible be better than 273 Pro because they are newer? The answer is no, they don't play as cleanly but are extremely sensitive so they are very suitable for taking with during travel or using with say Quest 2 VR.

I have also previously tried:
beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro
(250ohm I believe). V shaped sound. Went back to shop after a day
AKG K701 (too bright, barely any bass. But very comfortable)
Sennheiser 560s. Said to be neutral but to me a bit on the bright side.

Always carry with me: (used with phone)
Audio Technica ATH-E40. Sound pretty terrific, I like that the cable can be replaced because they always break after some use.

Last edited:
OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Sennheiser 560S. Said to be neutral but to me a bit on the bright side.

Not just to you... it really is. There are cures for this.

innerPeace

Not just to you... it really is. There are cures for this.
Just got this, it's a bit bright but I don't really feel like I need to change it yet.

Current own:
Wired headphones:
Sennheiser 560s
Just got this few days ago, so far so good. Will probably get a shorter replacement cable.
Sennheiser 598 The oldest pair. Almost 10 years old, still comfort king.
AKG K553 MKIII Closed pair, the ears get hot after a while, also very minimal padding on headband, need to take some breaks in between for those reasons.
Sennheiser Momentem More on-ear than over-ear. Probably the best looking headset I have. Long-term loan to a family member.

Bluetooth:
Plantronics Backbeat Pro 2
Headset for laptop, comfortable, long lasing battery, noise cancelling is subpar.
Samsung Galaxy Buds Plus Outdoor for phone, comfortable.

IEM:
Etymotic ER2SE
This might actually be the best technical equipment I have. I think I get the more detail from this than 560s.
KZ ZSR When I want to use IEM but don't want the deep insertion of ER2SE. Probably the next equipment to upgrade.

On the radar:
Wired headphones:
Sennheiser 600 / 660s
Was actually planning to get one of theses instead of 560s but 560s was 1/3 of the price.
Audio Technica R70X Might be too similar to 560s. If I get a chance, will buy this one and keep one between the two.
Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Was worried that I couldn't handle Beyer treble but if I can handle 560s, maybe I will be okay with Beyer peak as well?
Fostex T60RP Never tried Fostex or planar yet.
HarmonicDyne Zeus V-shaped.

IEM:
Moondrop Aria / Starfield
To replace the KZ ZSR.

Last edited:
OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Was worried that I couldn't handle Beyer treble but if I can handle 560s, maybe I will be okay with Beyer peak as well?

It's magnitudes worse and at a different frequency.

BaaM

Just curious ...
What headphone(s) do you currently own ?
HD6XX, I'd say that a decent pair for the price but bass freq are lacking hard, still great for any tracks without too much under 120hz...
Actually, I only use it only as monitoring headphones to post-edit some sh*tty vinyl rips.
Which one(s) is(are) used the most, or is your favorite ?
I had a Fostex 009 that I used to love, that's my favorite pick by far, I also liked the LCD-X/LCD-2 prefazor.
I sold it because speakers are better :)

Last edited:

innerPeace

It's magnitudes worse and at a different frequency.

Thanks for the info.
With 560s purchase, I think I can wait for a big discount on all the flat & analytical sounding headphones.
Probably will go for Fostex T60RP or HarmonicDyne Zeus next as something different.

faheem

Forum Donor

IEM:
Etymotic ER2SE
This might actually be the best technical equipment I have. I think I get the more detail from this than 560s.

I don't listen to my ER2 ( I have the XR) anymore but the ER2 range are great sounding iem.

Nabooh

Headphones I currently own:
-HD800S
-Focal Clear

Headphones I owned:
-Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro
-Sennheiser HD598 CS
-Denon AH-D7200
-Hifiman He4XX
-Sennheiser HD6XX
-Sennheiser HD800
-Audeze LCD-2 Fazor
-Focal Elex

.... Oh, and I'm in the Hifi headphone hobby for less than a year, just a lot of buying/testing/reselling. Now, I know what my taste in Hifi headphones are.

I sold my HD800, then got an HD800S, which I sold, to buy it again few months later. The HD800/S is really a special headphone, and no others sounds like them.

I really liked my LCD-2, Planar are just on another level for bass extension, but the high end weren't very detailed. With the Focal Clear, I still have a nice bass for a dynamic headphone, but the detail / imaging are just on another level.

RHO

Major Contributor
Current own:
Wired headphones:
Sennheiser HD6XX
Those mids ... sooooo good! Overall a very pleasing headphone for long listening sessions.
Sennheiser HD477 These are really old. They sound really warm and a bit muddy.
AKG K371 Surprisingly good for the money. Just as good as the HD6XX but in a different way (more bass and brighter, less silky smooth)
Beyerdynamic DT770pro 250Ohm with Dekoni Jerzee pads Less bright and more comfortable than with the stock pads, but the mids are lacking. Just too much of a V-shaped sound signature. Voices are too recessed. Bass is a bit too boomy.
Superlux HD668B (velour pads) Bright! But overall not too bad. For the money they are worth it. They give a flimsy impression but mine last for more than 8 years already.

Bluetooth:
Sony MDR-ZX770BT
Mediocre NC, mediocre sound, good comfort, reliable BT connection
OnePlus Bullets Wireless 2 (IEM) Bright! Ouch!

IEM:
Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk
Amazing sound quality. Very good fit for my ears. Love them!
Tin Hifi T2plus Not bad for the price. Comfort is not good for me. They just don't agree with the shape of my ears.

On their way to my house:
Wired headphones:
Dan Clark Audio Aeon RT
I just wanted a really good planar. I just wanted a really good closed back headphone. I just wanted a more comfortable one than the K371 ... I hope I got all 3 in one buy. :D
IEM:
KZ DQ6
& Blon BL-03 I did an oopsy with the Tin t2plus and damaged the right channel + fit issues. Need a new pair of IEMs to go for walks. (don't like to take the B2D outside) Couldn't make a decision so went for both (they are cheap!!!) The KZ for the fit and because it's a 3 DD design. The Blon because it's a safe bet regarding the tuning.

bloodevil

Nice thread. :)

Here is my list:

Stax headphones with three earphones and three amps. The highest end one is the Omega. The other is the Nova. The amps are both tube and transistor.

Sennheiser HD-650

Hifiman HE-400i

Sony MDR-V6

Grado SR-60e

Kz ATE IEM

Etymotic SR4SR IEM

Etymotic ER4 (?)

ISOtunes PRO Noise Isolating Bluetooth Earbuds

Most uses are my Stax Omega and Hifiman HE-400i.

Hey @amirm , now in 2021 what headphones do you own?

3125b

Major Contributor
Superlux HD668B (velour pads) Bright! But overall not too bad. For the money they are worth it. They give a flimsy impression but mine last for more than 8 years already.
Try Amirs EQ, totally transforms them.

I have recently added Samsung Galaxy Buds+ to my collection as a practical alternative on the go. They work nicely, but despite generally good FR seem to lack "resolution".
For the 50€ I paid new they are fine, good even considering their other advantages (and main selling points, honestly), but don't replace any half decent wired headphones.

Top Bottom