• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Meze 99 Classics came today, they are great for rock and metal, easy to drive and very comfortable.

IMG_1458.JPG

KeithPhantom

Forum Donor
@solderdude I have a question for you. Since you have measured both the HD 560S and the HD 600, i would like to know the perceptual differences between them. They measure pretty close with the HD 560S being better in bass response, but in terms of subjective performance, what is your opinion about these headphones?

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Personally I prefer the HD560S (with treble filter) but am sure there will be others that will prefer the HD600.
HD560 feels a bit flimsier and to me stereo imaging is better.
Bass extension is also better, 5dB at 40Hz is an audible improvement. Don't expect a bass monster it isn't a bassy character at all. Very similar to HD600 but deep bass isn't rolled off.
The elevated treble around 7kHz should be addressed where the HD600 only needs the lows extended by EQ.
hd560s-vs-hd600.png

bracko

I love headphones. My headphones are in my signature ;)

Marmus

Been reading this site for a year bought, perhaps, an ASD stack? Topping D50s, A50, drop HD6xx with Fiio M9. STEVIE Ray lenny,crying, Santana Black Majic Woman , Carmon Gomes , Kenny Burrell, cowboy junkies are Intoxicating. No sound room needed. Then for fun (really) listen with Grado SR80 for fun. Often move to Fiio FA7, or etymotic EX3XR. All fine. 6xxx BEST

Thalis

Just got the Philips SHP9500. Quite impressed by the build for such a lower cost pair of headphones. The bass is actually quite good considering its open back. Using EQ from Oratory and metal571. Without EQ there's a hint of mid bass bleed.

Phantomuser

Forum Donor
Still have the Sennheiser HD580 Precision open back cans I bought in 99..Ive replaced the foams and pad twice ,the 580s are
Great and I still love them.I drive them with a E1DA powerdac or topping a50s or a hidizs S9 amp.. all balanced connections.
Some AKG k712s I got last year..the sealed back is useful sometimes and they do sound pretty good especially eqd with wavelet app and hidizs s9 or my little meizu .
Thinking about trying some planars out but in no hurry..maybe I should be haha.
Edit ment to say AKG K371 not 712

Last edited:

SimoF

- Focal Utopia: for critical listening
- Hifiman HE-560 with dekoni elite leather pad: for relaxed listening
- Audeze Sine: for office
- RHA CL2 Planar IEM: for office in the summer

Ufasas

akg 702 (since February, and instantly - my top 2 headphone of all time) with pleather, and sony ma900 (since 2013) with pleather, both for online FPS games whoring, and works very good in rock/jazz/drum and bass

beyerdynamic custom game - night cans, movie cans, anything that is loud at late times, that could still give some joy in gaming

both work great, over the years settled over such like hyperX, se598, shp9500, game ones, akg550s, those upper ^ cans slayed them all by a big margin, with every more powerful DAC sounding even more engaging and clearer

Attachments

• 20210218_204019.jpg
    20210218_204019.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 105
  • 20210406_162857.jpg
    20210406_162857.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
akg 702 (since February, and instantly - my top 2 headphone of all time) with pleather, and sony ma900 (since 2013) with pleather, both for online FPS games whoring, and works very good in rock/jazz/drum and bass

beyerdynamic custom game - night cans, movie cans, anything that is loud at late times, that could still give some joy in gaming

both work great, over the years settled over such like hyperX, se598, shp9500, game ones, akg550s, those upper ^ cans slayed them all by a big margin, with every more powerful DAC sounding even more engaging and clearer
I had to give you a like for that because K702 are my favourite headphones too, but I'm a little weary about you using different pads on them which will change the frequency response, plus those pads you've put on don't look like angled pads which is likely to decrease the soundstage. Plus, Oratory will be measuring my K702 soon, and you wouldn't really be able to use the EQ with confidence because it won't be applicable to your modified K702, but that doesn't matter if you know you don't like the Harman Curve. But yeah, K702 is my favourite too, nice choice! (which I use for gaming too).

(You could send your modified K702 to Oratory for measuring though, he'd probably be interested in measuring it, especially if the pads you've chosen for it are common easily purchasable pads).

Ufasas

I had to give you a like for that because K702 are my favourite headphones too, but I'm a little weary about you using different pads on them which will change the frequency response, plus those pads you've put on don't look like angled pads which is likely to decrease the soundstage. Plus, Oratory will be measuring my K702 soon, and you wouldn't really be able to use the EQ with confidence because it won't be applicable to your modified K702, but that doesn't matter if you know you don't like the Harman Curve. But yeah, K702 is my favourite too, nice choice! (which I use for gaming too).

(You could send your modified K702 to Oratory for measuring though, he'd probably be interested in measuring it, especially if the pads you've chosen for it are common easily purchasable pads).

Thanks, right now when i am doing quick swap k702 to ma900, bullets sounds seem harsher in fps games, but in movies youtube music still enjoyable especially with shanling DAC. One thing i remember clearly I loved sound with default k702 pads on, but they were worn too much. Not really sure how perforated pads (they are really cheap) changed the soundstage, still hear lots of steps, bullets and grenades far from me, and sometimes i just think i heard steps in one corner, but apparently it was in different corner, lol, maybe just my own brain fog... Also pleather does help to block a bit of outside noise too, so I don't need closed back headset everytime i want to fully focus on the game. Who is Oratory? Is he in UK? Maybe, I could give a go at helping to measure them. These Pads are dirt cheap - ten quid a pair. Should I try angled pads? Will it really be noticeable for my stage of years (30+, lol)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, right now when i am doing quick swap k702 to ma900, bullets sounds seem harsher in fps games, but in movies youtube music still enjoyable especially with shanling DAC. One thing i remember clearly I loved sound with default k702 pads on, but they were worn too much. Not really sure how perforated pads (they are really cheap) changed the soundstage, still hear lots of steps, bullets and grenades far from me, and sometimes i just think i heard steps in one corner, but apparently it was in different corner, lol, maybe just my own brain fog... Also pleather does help to block a bit of outside noise too, so I don't need closed back headset everytime i want to fully focus on the game. Who is Oratory? Is he in UK? Maybe, I could give a go at helping to measure them. These Pads are dirt cheap - ten quid a pair. Should I try angled pads? Will it really be noticeable for my stage of years (30+, lol)
You can get genuine K702 pads from Thomann, which is where I got mine from, but they are ridiculously expensive, but I love my K702 enough to get them, and note this is just the price for 1 pad, and of course you need to buy 2 of these:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/akg_k_702_ear_pad.htm

Oratory is a well-known guy in headphone enthusiast spheres. He works in the audio industry as his profession, involved in the design of transducers for headphones & speakers. He has access to headphone measurement gear which is the best in the industry, in terms of it being the industry standard on which the Harman Curve is based. He measures headphones in his spare time, headphones that people send to him, and then he publishes those measurements along with EQ's that he does, EQ'ing the headphones to the Harman Curve:
https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index/list_of_presets
He should be adding our K702 to that list quite soon, because he has my headphone for testing at the moment, he lives in Austria, and it cost me £13 to send them to him. He measures them free of charge, I'm assuming I'm gonna have to pay for return postage too, but not sure how he organises that yet! In fact, you can see if you have any headphones that are on his list, then you could apply his EQ and see if you like it (don't use K702 Anniversary Edition, as that's a different headphone to our standard K702).....if you do like it then you can count yourself as one of the majority that like the Harman Curve, most people like the Harman Curve. If you find you like the EQ's he does, then it could be worth sending in your K702 with non-standard pads for measuring, as the pads will change the frequency response....I recommend you use angled pads for best soundstage, which will allow you to better judge where sounds are coming from when you game for instance, as well as increasing your music listening enjoyment. Yes, you're fine with your 30+ ears!

wired

Sundara
6XX
DT 770 PRO 250 (w/ balanced XLR mod for power)
E-MU Teak (in the mail)

I'm currently daily-ing the Sundara, they are great.
The 770 are rough, but a little EQ does wonders :)
6XX is nice when I'm chillin.
I'm hoping the Teaks will be my chill close-backs.

PXL_20201105_033012859.PORTRAIT.jpg IMG_0785.jpg PXL_20210316_233025532.PORTRAIT.jpg

Malfunkt

Focal Utopia - expensive detail monster yet still immensely enjoyable. The most realistic spherical soundstage when using binaural, spatial audio, 3D game audio.

BLON BL-05S - truly remarkable for their low price of ~$40, may prefer their target curve over the ER4SR for lifelike natural presentation. Under-appreciated gems from 2020. helps to recable for aesthetic and so it doesn't tangle. Somewhat shallow fit, but comfortable. may require tip rolling.

Sennheiser HD8 - bass cannons. a bit loose in the bass, but the driver quality matches/exceed HD650. Mid-range is classic Sennheiser. Takes a while to get used to, good for electronic and the sound profile works well outdoors.

Etymotic ER4SR - a classic reference. Good isolation. Neutral, flat signature. A bit dry, good detail, a bit compressed in total dynamic range.

brbsnacks

I'm still early in this hobby. In the order I got them in. AKG k240 Studio >> DT770 80 Ohm >> Sundara.

K240s I hated for years until I hooked them up to an amp. They actually sound really good for 60 dollars.
I use the 770s when I record drums, guitar or need to block out noise. I'm really happy with them.
Sundara for everything else.

odyo

KeithPhantom

Forum Donor
Update on my neutral-island of sonic experience:

HD 600: pretty much any upgrades aren’t possible without sacrificing at least one thing they do right, bust if they had about 4 dB more around 40 Hz they will be perfect. They are truly special, that in my search of headphones have killed and surpassed every single alternative (regardless of price). These have being judged pretty harshly, but can’t really find more faults other than bass extension and level.

QC 35 II: only if I could have their lows and the HD 600 response from 100 Hz up, only just. Pretty darn balanced and the ANC is pretty impressive. Use them mainly as my audio device in my computer in passive mode (no music). But when I go back to going on trips, these will be with me even more

ER4SR: new addition. I’m impressed, these rival my HD 600 (maybe surpass them). These only reinforce my love of DF-based targets. Never thought that IEMs could get this close to full-sized headphones. I also don’t know if there is an upgrade path for these. They are under my critical microscope right now, and they are faring as well as the HD 600, if not a bit better.

Upgrades from here: nearfields and I’ll be done.

Top Bottom