• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What components have you gotten rid of from reading ASR?

rgpit

Forum Donor
A lot of vinyl and the associated hardware.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Nothing.

G|force

Forum Donor
Furman rack mount AC mumbo jumbo receptacles.
I do miss the horizontal row of LEDs to indicate wall voltage in a glance. It's not as important with SMPS gear to know.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Adcom, Bryston, and VTL amps.

Graham849

Forum Donor
Fosi BT30d and Fosi Dac q4

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sold all my expensive cables I got with bundles of stuff and keep the cheap ones. Also sold all gaming sound cards since seeing measurements on affordable stacks.

Vovgan

Forum Donor
B&W 702 sold >> Revel f208 x2 pairs bought
Sennheiser HDVD 800 sold, Chord Qutest sold >> Sabaj A20d & FiiO Btr7
+
bought NAD m28 amp
+
I too sold all my expensive Acrolink cables
+
Audioholix measurements made me switch from 2 Revel S510 subs to 2 SVS PB pro 2000

Soria Moria

My Schiit Bifrost 2 to buy an RME ADI-2. Would have sold my Singxer SA-1 to fund it as well but it stopped working sadly.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The scales fell when I conducted my first unsighted level matched dac comparison, Weiss versus Benchmark couldn’t hear any difference, from that point I couldn’t recommend ‘hi-end’ gear, ASR and it’s contributors have explained to me why the dacs sounded the same, why better measuring loudspeakers are more transparent the list goes on and on, without ASR there is just puerile film flam .
Keith

Sound12

Forum Donor
I am considering if I should copy Amir and buy Mark Levinson amps :)

Last edited:

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
ASR has given me a more balanced view on my AVI ADM9.1 speakers. This forum has taught me how to measure them, how to evaluate these measurements, and how to turn them into sensible EQ correction filters. This has basically given the speakers a second life which they are now happily living. They have recently entered their 15th year of daily service. The longer they keep going the more my appreciation for the product seems to grow and the harder I find it to let them go.

To still answer the question, even though it is not a component, one thing I definitely got rid of because of ASR is the idea of leaving speakers uncorrected.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Rega Io integrated amplifier.

I found ASR because of the shocking review of my beautiful new (5 star) amp. Really got me thinking and reading and learning.
I know that the Io would have been audibly fine, but I was happy to sell it (for what I paid) and move up. Win, win the buyer was delighted too.

Edit: oh yeah, sold a bunch of cables too :)

Fledermaus

Forum Donor
Bunch of esoteric streamers, DACs, preamps and cables. Kept my 35 yo tube amp and some other vintage electronics in the closet, out of misplaced sentimentalism.

Top Bottom