• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Compatibility of Olympus DM-520 Digital Voice Recorder with Larger Capacity MicroSD Cards

virtuoso

Hello fellow audio enthusiasts,

I have an Olympus DM-520 Digital Voice Recorder that I purchased back in 2009. This device has served me well over the years, and I'm now considering upgrading its storage capacity by using a larger MicroSD card. However, I'm unsure whether my recorder can support larger capacity cards, and I'd appreciate any insights or advice from the community.

According to the manual for the Olympus DM-520 (Page 124), the official specifications state that the device can support SD cards ranging from 512 megabytes to 16 gigabytes in capacity. However, I've read that FAT32 theoretically supports capacities of up to 2 terabytes (TB), and I'm aware that practical limitations can come into play, especially with older devices.

My specific questions are:

1. Can the Olympus DM-520 support MicroSD cards with capacities beyond the specified 16 gigabytes?
  2. Are there any known issues or limitations related to using larger capacity cards with this recorder, even if they fall within the FAT32 specification?
  3. Should I expect any performance differences or potential data corruption when using larger cards?
If anyone has experience with this particular recorder or can provide insights into the compatibility of older devices like the Olympus DM-520 with larger MicroSD cards beyond the official specifications, I would greatly appreciate your input. Additionally, if you can share any best practices or recommendations for upgrading storage in older devices, that would be helpful too.

Thank you for your assistance!

Best regards,
virtuoso

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A 128 GB SD card is below €$£ 7 nowadays. Should be simple and cheap to test…

OP
V

virtuoso

Hello,

Thank you for your response. You bring up an excellent point – testing it out with a 128GB SD card is an affordable way to confirm compatibility. I was just curious if someone in the community had already tried it and could share their firsthand experience.

Nonetheless, I'll take your suggestion and give it a try with a 128GB SD card. I'll report back with my findings to contribute to the discussion.

If anyone else has insights or has already tested larger capacity cards with the Olympus DM-520, I'd still appreciate hearing about your experiences.

Thank you for your assistance!

Best regards,
virtuoso

Top Bottom