• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it would be interesting to see how some cheap ”coxial” in-ceiling speakers would measure. I’m especially curious how they would measure when turned say 15° off-axis but pivot their tweeter to still be on-axis, as I imagine that cannot be good for the crossover region.

Micca & Polk are the most popular outside of distributor only brands like Episode.

Last edited:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
I think it would be interesting to see how some cheap in-ceiling speakers would measure.
I have a feeling we'll see *headless panther* awards for a lot of in-ceiling/in-wall speakers.

Speakercraft AIM8 One
(in-ceiling) (8" woofer) (which I've seen anywhere btw US$260 - 500/each)
Source
1602370127859.png

Bowers & Wilkins CWM7.5
(In-wall) (5" woofer) (I've seen prices range from US$600 - 800/each)

Source
1602370361841.png

Without even questioning it...Revel in-ceiling and in-wall measurements look much, much better.

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Magnat Edelstein Quantum

Here in Europe, it is around 600 euros so maybe more in the US?
the subjective opinions on this model are always very good but I didn't manage to find their measurements?

testmagnatquantumedelstein2l.jpg

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hey Amir you can test the JBL STAGE A130? They're the latest budget speakers line from JBL. They are $300 on JBL's website or you can get them from AcousticSoundDesign for $178 a pair with coupon code TV15 .
Thanks. Ordered. :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm
I wish i could see them.
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/M42-75Watt-Bookshelf-Kohlefaser-Tieftöner-0-75-Slik/dp/B077HTXCNV

Thats real low budget. And here we have a subjektive review.
https://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/3_speakers_shootout_e.html

Would be interesting at least maybe they could set a low price border? Who knows?

Edit says: Looks like this is the amazon.com link.
https://www.amazon.com/-/de/dp/B017...ds=lonpoo+lp42+speaker&qid=1602425361&sr=8-11
I think it is wishful thinking that it would be good. :) Still, if you want to cover half the cost, I will pay the other as I am sure I will be stuck with them as door stops post testing. :)

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it is wishful thinking that it would be good. :) Still, if you want to cover half the cost, I will pay the other as I am sure I will be stuck with them as door stops post testing. :)
The Dutch listing has the FR graph, funny the American one doesn’t:
8053BDBF-B892-4185-A499-7B4231958790.jpeg

Not worth the time.

The Neumi BS5 that @hardisj measured/reviewed is likely holding its crown as the best <$100 passive speakers, which before I would have said belonged to the Micca MB42X (it still is by popularity).

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I think it would be interesting to see how some cheap ”coxial” in-ceiling speakers would measure. I’m especially curious how they would measure when turned say 15° off-axis but pivot their tweeter to still be on-axis, as I imagine that cannot be good for the crossover region.

Micca & Polk are the most popular outside of distributor only brands like Episode.

To properly test an in-wall or ceiling speaker, Amir would have to build a baffle of a decent size (spec'd below). I know the NFS can support one. Klippel actually sells the an optional baffle for the NFS. Just not sure Amir would want to put in the extra time to do that.

Per the 2034 spec:

1602529910602.png

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
To properly test an in-wall or ceiling speaker, Amir would have to build a baffle of a decent size (spec'd below). I know the NFS can support one. Klippel actually sells the an optional baffle for the NFS. Just not sure Amir would want to put in the extra time to do that.
Klippel option costs 12,000 Euros so pretty expensive.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Klippel option costs 12,000 Euros so pretty expensive.

I was thinking more in the vein of DIY. IF you even wanted to.

I just mentioned they sell one because that makes it clear they account for something like being used.

Darwin

Here are some NRC measurements of it
https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153
I had them for a year, they have the typical current B&W voicing of the recessed presence region and a bit increased highs, I found them sounding better than they measure, quite nice drivers with relatively low distortions, but also typical low price range housing with side wall vibrations.

I have the 25th Anniversary 606's that just came out and like them better than my Revel M16's.

Top Bottom