• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Reports say it has fair bit of hiss. Is it worth testing it with that issue at hand?
This reviewer says they didn't stand out negatively to him among a bunch of other monitors, and that if anything they were less hissy than his KS Digital C88 Reference. (That said, there's one review for the latter that says hiss on these midfields didn't really go away until 3.5 m out, so maybe that's not the best comparison point.)

It ultimately depends on what kind of range of listening distances remains, I guess. If you have to sit so far away that level handling is badly compromised / distortion plainly audible, this obviously makes no sense. (Not sure what level handling to shoot for, maybe 85 dB average / 103 dB peak?) I would guess that the FX80s would stand the best chance of working out then, given the usual disproportionate improvement in level handling between 5" and 8".

TankTop

How about the new “budget” line from Focal? Anything in the new 8XX series?

jurop

Forum Donor
Seems like F5 is discontinued.
Available everywhere in the good ol' Europe (Amazon, Thomann etc), I see a warehouse deal Amazon US pair currently on sale and them being also available @ Thomannmusic US for USD195. Didn't know they were discountinued and the official website browsed from here does not mention so. It makes sense, though, seeing new models with D amps whereas these had AB class amps.

RovenLee

Reports say it has fair bit of hiss. Is it worth testing it with that issue at hand?
I'm using fx50 and i got lot of hiss with rca.(maybe my rca cable is too chip and old). This hiss affected by speaker volume. And no matter plug-in to dac or phone or noting. But when connected with xlr, there is only hiss with power on. It's quieter than rca hiss and diappear over 60cm, and its not affected by volume level. Even xlr(fx50) to 3.5(PC).

So with balanced plug, i think test will be worth.
Sorry to my english level, have a nice day:)

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
For anyone looking to get a quick comparison of the available budget bookshelf speakers, I've created a list of budget (under US$300) bookshelf speakers (both Passive and Active). Total of 161 speakers so far. See link. :D

relmu

Krk rp5, g2, g3 or g4

dfuller

Major Contributor
Focal Alpha 50/65 perhaps? I used to own a pair of Alpha 65s and I liked them enough that I bought the Shape 65s.

Hiten

How about something different ?
Within its limitations it would be nice to see any well made wideband/Fullrange (single speaker) Speaker. Would be interesting to compare how much extension and low distortion one can achieve.
Thanks in appreciation for other reviews.
Regards.

leeroy 85032

i ditto the nht c series and wharfedale reva.. 2 "audiophile" recc'ed companies that at present aren't getting many reviews .. in the case of nht (the c series in particular) they are almost a forgotten part of the equation , despite a great rep historically...

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
This could be interesting...
Amazon just released (8 days ago, don't ask me how I found it so quick)
AmazonBasics R30Plus (Passive bookshelf)
ASIN: B07W4C16KV
US$100
amazon r30plus.jpg

carewser

I figured my $400/pair of Audioengine A5's would be ideal for the this but when you said under $200/pair you weren't kidding when you said "budget" but I think Audioengine makes a couple of smaller speakers that are $200/pair. As well, Edifier, Dayton Audio, Monoprice and Swan/HIVI make a lot of low priced speakers

Top Bottom