• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm Is the JBL 708P already with you for review? If not I might be able to ship one of mine over if you are okay with reviewing it. I feel like there is enough interest here to see it measured.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
@amirm Is the JBL 708P already with you for review? If not I might be able to ship one of mine over if you are okay with reviewing it. I feel like there is enough interest here to see it measured.
Wow $4k/pair.
If reviewed, it will be the 2nd most expensive active speaker measured, only behind the Genelec 8341A in price.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow $4k/pair.
If reviewed, it will be the 2nd most expensive active speaker measured, only behind the Genelec 8341A in price.
Spin%2B-%2BJBL%2BLSR708i.png

Preference rating will be low as the Early Reflections curve is flat >2kHz.
The preference rating is meant for far-field, there is no study for preferred near-field performance.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
We won’t know until you measure them :)

The fact that the B1 was $300 and then the new B1+ came out and is better with stated improved crossover or midrange performance (baffle step compensation added?) yet they made it cheaper ($230) is very interesting. AverageJoeAudiophile measured/reviewed the B1 and he preferred it over the KEF Q100.
https://emotiva.com/collections/loudspeakers/products/airmotiv-b1-pair
Another vote for:
Emotiva Airmotiv B1+
-Ribbon folded tweeter and 5.25" woofer.
-Released on Nov 2019, and improved on the previous B1.
-$229usd is budget friendly

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
680 PLN translates to about 150€, not bad.
2 air core coils and 3 caps is slightly more than the bare minimum for a 3-way crossover... I would expect some dispersion issues in the vertical. Hard to fault them for that at this price. It's basically a 1980s level design with corresponding issues.

milus

A pair of 3-way floorstanders for the princely sum of £119.00 - what could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:

I dread to see the "crossover" (any bets on whether it's more than two electrolytics, if that?).

I'll be very surprised if these aren't a big jumbled mess either way, complete with dispersion all over the place, a rollercoaster frequency response and high driver Qts and otherwise poor performance (and let's not get started about formaldehyde in the cabinet). Skytronic is basically white van class. Even the Chinese are incapable of working wonders.

I guess seeing something like these measured may be worth it just for contrast.

Hey! What's wrong with Fenton? :D
71JBvtk+mrL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Their coaxes (e.g. the current FX50, FX80) would be interesting as well.
Reports say it has fair bit of hiss. Is it worth testing it with that issue at hand?

Top Bottom