• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

maty

Major Contributor
About KEF Q100 measurements, here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...inimum-phase-vs-linear-phase.8762/post-225351

For now I have ruled out modifying the filter to flatten the response since the important one in my case, in the near field, is at 30º, 40º, 50º

index.php

Its main defect, as usual, is the thickness of the walls. They weigh 2 Kg less than the KEF LS50. And that new sounds very bad, without bass -> long burning. Adding mass and cushioning (viscoelastic material) greatly improves. Mine now weigh more than the LS50.

With such a good dispersion, with a pair of minimum phase equalization soft touches is enough + rePhase -> convolution filter. Well, the ideal would be to add two subwoofers ... As usual in loudspeakers with only first order crossover, the sound is better off-axis.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...inimum-phase-vs-linear-phase.8762/post-253826

To finish, the other weak, very usual in all commercial loudspeakers, is the low quality of the crossover components. Here, the resistor and capacitor of the tweeter filter. The great improvement I doubt is measurable but is undeniable.

[IMG, link] http://maty.galeon.com/WP-imagenes/...1uF-capacitor-Mills-06R8-5-watts-resistor.jpg

PS: images of KEF Q100, Q150 and LS50 drivers: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=161371.msg1779403#msg1779403

Last edited:

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer

maty

Major Contributor
After reading the measurements, a few months later I bought the Q100, June 2013. A great disgust the first hours, they sounded loud by the absence of bass, I even thought about returning them, but I waited a while and they improved. I take this opportunity to thank you.

Today they sound much better than then in my second system after eliminating / minimizing the bottlenecks I found. Spending little money can greatly improve the sound, correcting the spending cuts implemented by KEF. With the plugged bass-reflex and two subwoofers cut over 110 hz ... they would be a great system.

Now it would be with the KEF Q150 (rear bass-reflex):

index.php

50 dB scale and a 1/12th octave horizontal smoothing.

Last edited:

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
After reading the measurements, a few months later I bought the Q100, June 2013. A great disgust the first hours, they sounded loud by the absence of bass, I even thought about returning them, but I waited a while and they improved. I take this opportunity to thank you.

Was this directed toward me? Just the timing of it made it seem like maybe it was but you didn't quote me so I'm not sure. If so, you're welcome! If not, I hate your face and I hope you eat rotten tomatoes sometime this week. :D

- Erin

maty

Major Contributor

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Cool. Well, glad you found it useful. I'll be updating my new site with that info so hopefully you can use that as the reference going forward.

JohnS

My vote is for the NHT SuperZero v2.1. List at about $250/pr and can frequently be found online for under $150/pr.

I have heard these paired with a small sub and could not believe what I was hearing. Build and fit and finish also hard to imagine at the price point. Would like to know how they measure and if they really are the value I perceived them to be. If they measure decently, lots of bang for the buck. It would make a super versatile small room speaker, desktop/nearfield or surromd mini monitor.

aarons915

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Not exactly budget - but the Asccend stuff (with the RAAL tweeters) has been the subject of talk/controverse also .. It would be nice to see some 3rd party data on them.

@echopraxia has the Sierra 2 EX and Sierra towers RAAL and is also local to the Seattle area. He wanted to get them measured awhile back but I haven't seen him post in a bit so not sure he's been around lately.

Shazb0t

@echopraxia has the Sierra 2 EX and Sierra towers RAAL and is also local to the Seattle area. He wanted to get them measured awhile back but I haven't seen him post in a bit so not sure he's been around lately.
That would be awesome if those two could set that up. Can the NFS measure tower speakers?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Can the NFS measure tower speakers?
It can as I bought the extra extension for z-axis. That said, getting a speaker on the platform (at chest height) and setting it up is a challenge. I am building a larger platform to host these larger speakers as the first step.

Shazb0t

It can as I bought the extra extension for z-axis. That said, getting a speaker on the platform (at chest height) and setting it up is a challenge. I am building a larger platform to host these larger speakers as the first step.
@echopraxia Get those Ascend Sierra RAAL Towers on this man's rig :)

KozmoNaut

I'd like to see a review of the Monitor Audio Bronze 2. It has gotten almost universal praise, and since I use a pair myself in the living room, and am very fond of them, I'd like to see some detailed measurements.

Top Bottom