• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

Haint

they are in the ASR forecast :cool:

Polk Audio T15 100
NHT SuperZero 2.1
Micca RB42 Reference Bookshelf Speaker
PreSonus Eris E5 XT
Pioneer SP-BS22-LR
JBL Professional 1 Series
Kali Audio LP-6

Kali LP-8
Kali IN-8
buchardt speakers s400 and possibly A500
Revel M22
KEF LS50
Harbeth Monitor 30
Selah Audio RC3R
GoldenEar AON 2
Infinity Reference R253
Tannoy System 600
JBL Studio 530

I'm sure you're aware Harmon's spins are available for the Infinity R253, so I'm assuming it's being used as a cross reference and for the additional data points and charts.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Klipsch ProMedia... Very directional with their tiny waveguides and drivers, typically what I recommend for a budget computer setup since it's a 3 way system instead of a two way.

snake3276120

snake3276120

Klipsch ProMedia... Very directional with their tiny waveguides and drivers, typically what I recommend for a budget computer setup since it's a 3 way system instead of a two way.
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1... Sorry to dissapoint you bro bu tI just threw mine away. It can't get rid of the main hum at all. On board amp is really cheap if you open the subwoofer and look at it. The two satellite speakers are OK, probaly best for its size. I drove them with my own power amp and they sounded fine, but definitely not the "make my day" level.

D

Deleted member 12179

First thing, having speakers measured, it's truly awesome. We have dac's measured and headphone amps measured. We need to stablish the holy grail of best speakers for the bang. I think 200$ passive is good, but i would add active monitors of 300-500$. Measuring the cheaper stuff is great, but i would happily spend 100$ on a headphone amp, 100$ on a dac, but hook it up to 1000$ speaker setup...

Adam T5V
Adam A5X
Adam A7X

I would love some budget active subwoofer to be measured, in particular the Presonus Temblor T10. Great price, comes with an amazing pedal for on/off sub. I think for nowadays audio, smaller monitors+sub can be better than just stereo with larger boxes... Like for smaller apartment, i think i rather go for 2x5" + sub, than say 2x7" and no sub... 8" too big for regular spaces.

I would like Adams to be measured, yamahas not good for long listen hours. Me wanna upgrade ;-)

I would also love to see on measurements, if A5X worth it really over A5T.

Thanks Amir!!!!

Update; in passive speakers, i would like the cheapish klipsh, elac, and dali reviewed. The 5-7" ones.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I would love some budget active subwoofer to be measured, in particular the Presonus Temblor T10.
There are some challenges for measuring subs. If they are down-firing, then I have to build a new platform to put them. I need to do that anyway but just not ready. That aside, I can easily measure their frequency response. Testing other factors becomes a different project. Is the frequency response useful?

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are some challenges for measuring subs. If they are down-firing, then I have to build a new platform to put them. I need to do that anyway but just not ready. That aside, I can easily measure their frequency response. Testing other factors becomes a different project. Is the frequency response useful?
Why not just lay them sideways?

Being perfectly linear isn’t important due to room modes, but the response shouldn’t be wild; max SPL and extension are main things. As I stated before, the CEA-2010 Pass chart would be welcomed.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Wharfedale Denton 80th anniversary would be cool! Always wondered about how the “vintage” sound would show on measurements.

There's not much vintage Wharfedale left in them. All IAG.

That said, they are a beautiful looking pair of speakers on their matching stands don't you think?

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Or upside down and measure from above and around? Would depend on the driver placement I guess.
Would be interesting to see if a forward facing driver placed down and if a downward facing driver placed sideways would alter the performance.

I personally don’t think there is an acoustic benefit to either; downward facing is cleaner looking and more protective, and forward facing helps with using large woofers/cabinets.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Vertically oriented drivers are likely - if not certain - to sag a bit, given enough time.

YogiN

Forum Donor
Hello everyone!
This is my first post:p I've been lurking in ASR for several months now and I gotta give a BIG THANK YOU to Amir for all his incredible work! You're changing the game with evidence based audiophilia and I feel blessed to have found this community and learned so much already.

If built correctly, DIY speakers are almost always a better value than off the shelf ones. At all price points, I think DIY speakers would be a invaluable addition to ASR’s measurement database. I have built several and would be willing to build and test them prior to shipping to ASR for testing. I own Zaph ZA5.2 TMs and have parts to build a spare. Even for DIY, the under $200 price point is a challenge. The ZA5.2s parts somewhat exceed the price point, but depends on cabinetry and how the crossovers are supplied. Unless cabinets are supplied, suggest sticking to MDF for those that do not. As am typing, realize that may need to some more thinking about costing cabinetry...

I would need some help to offset the cost and would limit finishing to a coat of Duratec, but if ASR members want DIY speakers tested, am willing to make it happen. :)

Ww

Awesome! I agree with your point on the value of DIY speakers. Thank you for generously offering this! There's been this video that some of you may have seen on YouTube "World's Best Speakers" that's captured my imagination ever since I saw it earlier last year. I've wondered how well they actually rank relative to other speakers and Amir's speaker testing project seems like the perfect opportunity to separate fact from fiction. They appear to be relatively easy to fabricate and best of all is at the time of video being published the cost of the materials was less that $115. I'd be happy to buy the materials and have them shipped to you. I'd also cover the cost of shipping to Amir.

Yogi

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Internet Direct brands is what I would like focused on; as it’s usually not possible to demo them before purchase and they usually charge return shipping during their “free” trial (it’s logistics, I get it).

Not all are super budget, but <$1000:
HTD (especially Level 3)
Chane
RBH
Aperion
Ascend Acoustics (they have measurements on their site, so you could check validity)
Fluance (especially Signature)
Wavecrest
Axiom
HSU (Audioholics measured their coaxial, but their bookshelf is a mystery)
NHT (their C3 isn’t “budget”, but measurements from others look amazing)
RSL

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello everyone!
This is my first post:p I've been lurking in ASR for several months now and I gotta give a BIG THANK YOU to Amir for all his incredible work! You're changing the game with evidence based audiophilia and I feel blessed to have found this community and learned so much already.

Awesome! I agree with your point on the value of DIY speakers. Thank you for generously offering this! There's been this video that some of you may have seen on YouTube "World's Best Speakers" that's captured my imagination ever since I saw it earlier last year. I've wondered how well they actually rank relative to other speakers and Amir's speaker testing project seems like the perfect opportunity to separate fact from fiction. They appear to be relatively easy to fabricate and best of all is at the time of video being published the cost of the materials was less that $115. I'd be happy to buy the materials and have them shipped to you. I'd also cover the cost of shipping to Amir.

Yogi

Welcome Yogi and thanks for sharing the Interesting and educational video! Watched the second best speaker video too. Had not seen the ”best speaker” video before but PE has sold the transducers for a while. I really did not have a good wall to try them on and my wife would not tolerate the wire on the wall either! Using ceiling panel material as a diaphragm and turning it around makes it a bit more palatable. :)

Have you built some of these? They seem a bit delicate and you live much closer to Amir than I. Keep in mind, he is swamped with speaker testing requests and these are rather unconventional. For that matter, given their nature, not sure the spinorama would be meaningful?

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1... Sorry to dissapoint you bro bu tI just threw mine away. It can't get rid of the main hum at all. On board amp is really cheap if you open the subwoofer and look at it. The two satellite speakers are OK, probaly best for its size. I drove them with my own power amp and they sounded fine, but definitely not the "make my day" level.

I listened to them for movies in Hawaii with all the windows opened, that's too bad there is crazy hiss.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks for the kind words. On that video, commercial versions of those speakers have existed for a long time. They are OK if you don't push them in bass. Their main use is to build "invisible" speakers where they are blended into drywall, or wood cabinets. There is an AES paper where they computed their preference scores and they were really bad.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is an AES paper where they computed their preference scores and they were really bad.
For regular dipole (rear-facing tweeter like original Revel Salon, or rear-woofers for Dutch&Dutch 8c), I wonder how that would effect the predicted in-room curve; if you ever have one like that in for review, it would be interesting to do an averaged real in-room response and see how they compare.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
For regular dipole (rear-facing tweeter like original Revel Salon, or rear-woofers for Dutch&Dutch 8c), I wonder how that would effect the predicted in-room curve; if you ever have one like that in for review, it would be interesting to do an averaged real in-room response and see how they compare.
They are put in there to help with that so would be good to measure.

D

Deleted member 12179

Thanks Amir. I would personally purchase a sub with front facing driver, and front bass reflex port. For some reason, this setup makes me think that it would bother less the neighbours (I might be wrong easily here), and then the front bass reflex makes it easy to be placed near a wall too. So if you can measure a couple of these type, like the Presonus mentioned and an say an 8" Adam, would be cool, just to have a reference of these. Regular stereo speakers more important than this though. Frequency response would be very interesting.

Question: A sub setup, as it liberate the main stereo speakers from lowest frequencies, will then those speaker have a "better" sound ??

Top Bottom