• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What amp/DAC should I get for k712 pro?

Scanjet1000

Hello
I've recently bought the k712 pro and have no knowledge on amp/DACs. I mostly play games followed by music and movies.
I've been told I need something that can do 1w into 320 ohms. I doubt really know what that means but some dude said it when I posted I was buying the k712s.
Ye suggestions needed thanks

AudioStudies

Addicted to Fun and Learning
With regard to 1w the "w" is an abbreviation for Watt. The Watt is the unit of measure for electrical power, just like the Foot is the unit of measure for distance. "Ohms" is the unit of measure for electrical resistance (that opposes electric current) within an electrical circuit, such as circuits within headphones. What is your budget for DAC/amp? Also, do you want the DAC and Amp combined in a single enclosure, or separate from each other?

Last edited:

flipflop

I've recently bought the k712 pro and have no knowledge on amp/DACs.
An amp makes the sound louder. An external DAC makes noise disappear. If your mobo is adequate, you might not need either of them.
I've been told I need something that can do 1w into 320 ohms.
Great advice if you want to go deaf.
100 mW into 300 ohms is a much better target.
Amp:
JDS Labs Atom
Monoprice Liquid Spark
Amp+DAC:
FiiO K5 Pro

AudioStudies

100 mw = 100 miliwatts = one tenth of a watt = 0.1 watts.

For standalone amps, I like the JDS Labs products, as mentioned by flipflop. A step above the Atom would be the El Dac II (by JDS), I have one and I love it. Only caveat is switching between low gain and high gain is done with a button on the back of the unit, and no display to indicate which you are in.

OP
S

Scanjet1000

I have K712 pro, and I test these Asus MAXIMUS XI HERO built-in soundcard and Topping MX3pro, difference its zero. If you have good built-in soundcard you don´t need any DAC/Amp.
This is my motherboard ASRock Z370 Extreme4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

zermak

It says NE5532 Premium Headset Amplifier for Front Panel Audio Connector (Supports up to 600 Ohm headsets), so it should be capable of driving your headphones but you have to use the output jack on your case (if connected, or you have to connect it) to have the benefits of the intergated amplifier.
If they didn't mess up the output impedence you should have a flat frequency response too (if not, just some sub/bass missing) and well if the K712 Pro reacts to higher impedence like the K7XX, tested by @solderdude, then you have no problem at all even if the output has high impedence.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Hello
I've recently bought the k712 pro and have no knowledge on amp/DACs. I mostly play games followed by music and movies.
I've been told I need something that can do 1w into 320 ohms. I doubt really know what that means but some dude said it when I posted I was buying the k712s.

You've received incorrect info or misinterpreted/misread it or there was a typo.
Your headphone is 62 Ohm and rated for 200mW.
The efficiency is 105dB/V so your amp needs to be able to reach 5.6V to reach 120dB peak SPL (= not the same as the average dB numbers you often see)
This happens to be 1W in 32 Ohm.

So the info you got would be correct if he said 1W in 32 Ohm which is an often mentioned spec (in 32 Ohm)
Higher impedances would be 300 Ohm and not 320.
In 300 Ohm the amp would have to be specified as 0.15W BUT some amps can reach that but cannot supply 1W in 32 Ohm.

So yes, look for an amp that can reach 1W in 32 Ohm = (0.5W in 62 Ohm).
I know this is higher than the 0.2W maximum rating but this is 0.2W continuous power. Music is anything BUT continuous so it can handle 0.5W without any problems.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I dont believe anyone has asked, but I am assuming you have the 'phones and have listened to them. Im gathering powered by your PC?

How do you think they sound?

Or, put another way, why do you think they need further amplification?

(Im not saying they dont, or do, it all depends on your use and demands of them)

BTW- per @solderdude above, 1W into 32ohm is exactly what the JDS Atom amp does. $100 if you are in the US. There are others similarly affordable and even higher powered and very clean (Schiit Magni 3+/ heresy) and some others that will do the same job, But you definitely dont need to spend good money on a very powerful amp- in v simplistic terms you pay $$ for every clean fraction of a watt over the amps mentioned.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Most folks will never play above 100dB peak level, in that case you only need 0.8V = 0.01W (10mW) which is equal to 0.02W in 32 Ohm.
Something your MoBo may be able to reach (10mW in 62 Ohm = 0.8V = 2.2Vpp). This means you may well not need 'super powers'.
Only when you want it to play really, really very loud (for very short moments) or EQ in many dB's of bass you would be needing an amp that can do 1W in 32 Ohm.

zermak

And well if you use the rear output on the motherboard than he can try the front output (on case) to have the benefits of the intergated amplifier on the motherboard and listen if there are any differences and then make your decision to get an external amplifier.

edit: writing while solderdude were :)

OP
S

Scanjet1000

I dont believe anyone has asked, but I am assuming you have the 'phones and have listened to them. Im gathering powered by your PC?

How do you think they sound?

Or, put another way, why do you think they need further amplification?

(Im not saying they dont, or do, it all depends on your use and demands of them)

BTW- per @solderdude above, 1W into 32ohm is exactly what the JDS Atom amp does. $100 if you are in the US. There are others similarly affordable and even higher powered and very clean (Schiit Magni 3+/ heresy) and some others that will do the same job, But you definitely dont need to spend good money on a very powerful amp- in v simplistic terms you pay $$ for every clean fraction of a watt over the amps mentioned.
I haven't received them yet. Only ordered a day or so ago. When I asked for suggested headphones they mentioned them and said I would need a amp/DAC to fully power them. Also said plug them into your pc first and the use the amp and continue to never plug them directly into your pc again. Ahha. Should arrive next week I'll hold off till then to decide if I need a amp

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another vote for a JDS Labs Atom amp if you decide to get an amp. The Atom worked great with my AKG K7XX, which are similarly difficult to drive as K712.

AudioStudies

The JDS Labs El Amp II costs more than the Atom, but it has a metal case, rather than plastic, and it has this wonderful large volume knob.

zermak

I think that works fine, and what @zermak wrote is a good idea to use the motherboard rear connectors.
I said otherwise. If he wants to benefits from the integrated headphones amplifier in his motherboard then he sould use the front panel output jack on his case (if he even connected it) because he is probably using or will sue the rear one which is not connected to it and it is just a standard line-out that bipasses the amplifier circuit.

joe hues

I have asrock a320m-hdv r4.0 as my MOBO, i just bought an amp and a nice pair of headphones? should i get a dac too? id really appreciate any and all help!

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have asrock a320m-hdv r4.0 as my MOBO, i just bought an amp and a nice pair of headphones? should i get a dac too? id really appreciate any and all help!

Quite impossible to say. Headphones very widely in how hard they are to drive.

What make / model do you have?

Top Bottom