• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 138 55.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 83 33.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 14 5.7%

• Total voters

Pareto Pragmatic

Didn’t, you know who, measure this line of Wharfedale and it performed better with the grille (it removes the effect of the baffle Being recessed)?
As measured by Erin (I think, I've been looking at t lot of speaker measurements lately), the Linton does measure better with grill. But if I remember the level and location of the effect correctly, I doubt it will do much to correct the issues with this speaker other than minimally.

Leo_Torres

Forum Donor
Apologies in advance for asking something not directly related to the speakers reviewed on this thread, but (in connection to Wharfedale speakers) has anybody found reliable measurements on the Evo 4.2?

Last edited:

OfficialChill

Owner requested that I measure without its grill and since I do that with other speakers, that is what you are going to see
I take it neither the owner nor Amir have seen the measurements of the Linton? Yes there is still a directivity error but the response becomes significantly more linear.
Grille off:
1706616598214.png

Grille on:
1706616533981.png

Big shame about this oversight and likely an unfair assessment of this speaker

beagleman

Major Contributor
@amirm
I have to add.....
Note that there is an "85th" anniversary version of the same speaker which uses a different tweeter. Wonder if every 5 years they are going to produce a different version!

80th anniversary has a 5" woofer

The 85th has a 6.5" woofer and a different tweeter.

Last edited:

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I take it neither the owner nor Amir have seen the measurements of the Linton? Yes there is still a directivity error but the response becomes significantly more linear.
Grille off:
View attachment 346243
Grille on:
View attachment 346242

Big shame about this oversight and likely an unfair assessment of this speaker

What oversight?

Erin reviewed the 85th edition (Linton) and this review is for the 80th edition (Denton).:oops:

Last edited:

Anthony101

Thanks for reviewing the Wharfedale Denton speaker! It isn't pleasant to hear that a speaker with such appealing vintage aesthetics might not live up to expectations, especially since it was on my list for future purchases. Wharfedale could significantly improve its offering by focusing research and development efforts on the Denton series, targeting its current flaws. The enhancement could elevate the overall performance of these speakers, making them not just a treat for the eyes but also for the ears.

beagleman

Major Contributor
What oversight?

Erin reviewed the 85th edition and this review is for the 80th edition.:oops:
Erin reviewed the larger "Linton" model, with an 8" woofer. Amir just did the "Denton", a much smaller speaker with a 5" woofer.

The names are confusing for sure, but the post you replied to was merely demonstrating Erin's differing measurements on the larger model with grill ON and then OFF., as both speakers are under Wharfedale's "Heritage line" of speakers, and were designed to be used with the Grills in place.

They both use the same style cabinet with baffle recessed about an half inch or so from the front...only similarity.

SAV1972

I had two years ago Warfedale Linton Heritage. These are very beautiful acoustics. The appearance is perfect. Designers actively exploit the feeling of nostalgia. But the tweeter doesn't work well. I heard high frequencies after two months. But they are not enough for comfortable listening to music. IMHO

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Erin reviewed the larger "Linton" model, with an 8" woofer. Amir just did the "Denton", a much smaller speaker with a 5" woofer.

The names are confusing for sure, but the post you replied to was merely demonstrating Erin's differing measurements on the larger model with grill ON and then OFF., as both speakers are under Wharfedale's "Heritage line" of speakers and were designed to be used with the Grills in place.

They both use the same style cabinet with baffle recessed about an half inch or so from the front...only similarity.

Thanks for further clarification, did notice that they are 2 different speakers. No apparent oversight though as Amir stated his test conditions.

Agree, he would have to remeasure the Denton to know the impact of the grille (though likely much different on a smaller speaker). :cool:

Last edited:

dfuller

Major Contributor
It may be worth just doing an on axis with the woofer on.

DSJR

Major Contributor
A loud pass in my book. When these speakers were current in the 1960’s, most people had experienced only AM radio quality reproduced sound, a 4-inch full band speaker with no bass below 100 Hz and no treble. It must have sound sensational. Having conquered the important lower and higher octaves in the past sixty years from source, electronics and loudspeakers, not to mention SINAD and acoustic power, it is not surprising how disappointing they sound to the discerning ears. Thank you Amir for showing us one of the most luminous advantage of historical progress.
Sorry - Look at my post above and style and basic shape apart, these 80th Anniversary models are nothing remotely like the W20 originals I've pictured... Mine sound smooth but rather bland overall (I'll get them out again and compare with the second system's Diamond 7.2SE's from the late 90's ;) which I like very much - cost me twenty five quid locally a few months ago) but the tone is safe enough and not obviously lacking until you listen for subtleties you know are there but which are underplayed. This model and its replacement would be very different I think and yes, the thinck grill cloth may well tone the mid kHz region down a bit and dispersion/directivity may be slightly better if the grille-fret is rebated...

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That's too bad. I was hoping the Linton pixie dust would have filtered down.
the denton has been around longer, maybe they found the magic of the linton's after the dentons were designed.. for a while the denton's could be had pretty cheap (about $400 iirc) ...

DSJR

Major Contributor
Thank you for this review, Amir ! It just goes to prove that a person shouldn't make assumptions about different models in a manufacturer's lineup.

Jim
I'd ask with deepest respect that they'd be re-tested with grilles on - just to be sure... The Linton Heritage tests slightly 'rough' without the grilles (see Erin's test images above) and I know of another UK based brand that is also better with grilles on (not that their tech-ignorant far eastern new wave of owners take any notice :( )

[edit] - I note that the 85th edition is almost a total re-design, but whether it's intended to fill the price gap or be a genuine replacement model, I just don't know.

Last edited:

Midwest Blade

I guess these are sold based on the "old school" looks alone. I worry that the manufacturers keep on making and marketing what they want (sales) and are paying little attention to actual measured performance. Lately subjective reviews on line or in print are just complete "bunko". Thanks to ASR and Erin and a very few others in the audio world for keeping us informed and alert.

JEarle

Forum Donor
Welp, I own a pair and thought I liked them :oops::(. Guess my hearing isn’t as good as I had hoped. I’ve never considered them bright, the opposite in fact, maybe the grills do make a large difference?

Obviously not a great speaker regardless.

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Absolutely shocking, but it's never a surprise these days sadly.

Petevid

When these were launched in 2013 or thereabouts they were billed as Pete Comeau's flagship project at that time.

Peter Comeau, head of acoustics at Wharfedale’s parent company IAG, says, “In voicing them, I had in mind the original Dentons, which sounded musical but with a touch of warmth. The ferrite magnet tweeter gives a cleaner, softer, smoother treble than Neodymium designs.”

They sounded too dull for my liking and I recall may others saying the same. With the launch of the Denton 85th Anniversary they were billed as having brighter sound.

Top Bottom