• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Welcome New Members to ASR, introduce yourself here.

Joramun

Hi all,

I recently joined the forums and looking forward to learn and contribute!

thank you

ManniX

Forum Donor
Howdy everyone,
I'm an Italian expat currently living in Germany.

Technology expert, professionally working in the last 15 years mainly with video broadcasting tech and STBs.
Not extreme, but an avid overclocker at the core. I like to optimize and push to the limits any kind of technology.
I also develop for hobby, very amateurish but doing some nice stuff at times: https://github.com/mann1x

Mostly I listen Electronic, Rock & Metal but I often do excursions in other genres including but not limited to Classical, Jazz & Blues.

Have been reading ASR forum and the excellent Amir's reviews for a long time of course.

Being an expat/nomad had to give up on most of my hobbies including Hi-Fi.
But in this post-Covid era ended up travelling much less and I'm now doing home-office 99% of the time.

I have a pair of vintage ESS AMT-5 speakers that I've setup as bookshelf speakers to enjoy some music while I'm at work.
These (and a pair of Celestion) are the speakers I've been born with, started listening to music and still enjoying it with.
I'd like to keep it doing it till my last breath :)
But of course they are aging and replacing/re-working the crossover or mod them 3-way is what I'm going to post about.

They are currently paired with a 15 years old Yamaha RX-V757 "mule" which was in the cellar.
Still works but it's really too old and is almost giving up.
Couldn't decide what to try as replacement being these speakers not exactly easy to match.
I'm currently considering a cheap 2nd hand Yamaha A-S701 or a more expensive Audiolab 7000A.

Main source will be my PC and later (have to find a way to set it up on the bookshelf) a classic Technics SL-3310 turntable.
Bluetooth as well but it's not a main source, I don't really use it much.

I've recently bought a cheap china USB DAC (XMOS XU316 & AKM AK4493S), SMSL PO100 AK, and it has been a shocking upgrade from the internal Yamaha DAC vis Spdif.
I really like the AKM DAC PCM and DSD decoding and the analog output of this little thing.

Hope to upgrade the audio quality by a notch or two in the coming months.

Cheers

Chesapeake HT

Good evening all!

I’ve joined two other known forums about a year ago, but have consistently found myself reading, researching, etc. on ASR that entire time. Not sure I can bring a whole lot to the conversations here, but I finally decided it’s kind of dumb to be on the sidelines any longer!

Over the last 18 months or so I’ve been putting together a HT / music system and am pretty happy with it overall. Here’s what we have:
- Denon x4700h
- 5.2.4 - Polk R700s, R400, R200s, R900s, SVS PB3000s
- ATV 4k / Mac mini
- Panasonic UB820
- LG C1 65”

For several months I’ve convinced myself that I need/want separate power amps and then re-convinced myself that I don’t need/want them! (I’ve read more opinions, facts, etc. on the subject and done many calculations as well: all led me through a long internal debate between practicalness and I want the power!). Well I was recently fortunate to have a modest financial improvement and decided it was time to pull the trigger on some Buckeye Amps I’ve been thinking about!

So, I am patiently waiting for my first one (6-channel Hypex NC252MP) to arrive in early June and will place an order for a 3-channel NCx500 or Purifi next. Just got a set of XLR to RCA cords from Blue Jeans Cable today. Very excited for this next phase of my system! Once setup, I plan to get started with measurements via Umik and REW. Hopefully, this will keep me busy for the next several months!

Sites like this make getting into this hobby a real possibility and a hell of a lot of fun! Thanks all for your help up to now (though you didn’t realize it ) and the help to come! I hope I can share a few worthwhile things along the way.

Cheers,
Chris

EasyC

Forum Donor
Hi, I’m Claes from Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
I’ve been a lighting designer for more than 30 years, designed large dance events, been touring with bands, produced festivals (claes3d.com). Teaching now as well.

I’ve entered this business because of my love for music - all kinds. Have seen hundreds of bands through working in the Melkweg (concert venue) for 15 years. Have been making music in the early 90’s with Cubase on an Atari. Have recently picked up the hobby again, and got sucked into the audio rabbit hole. It’s amazing what you can do with software nowadays, compared to all the hardware you needed 20-30 years ago.

So, learning more and more about audio, besides what I picked up over the years from sound technicians I worked with in music and theatre. Funny thing is, most (live)sound technicians I know have crappy audio at home…
Anyway, I upgraded my home theatre to Kef/Denon/SVS, got Logic Pro, an audio interface (Motu M4) and monitors (KRK RP G4), recently a little sub (Eve Audio TS107) and was quite happy with the result.

Meanwhile reading on ASR which quickly became my goto place for reviews that mean something instead of all the subjective youtube stuff. Thank you, @amirm and all other pro’s here, for this wonderful science-based site without all the audiophile nonsense. I learned a lot already.

I discovered EQ’ing headphones (have been using Audyssey with my AV receiver for years of course) and have recently bought Sonarworks.

Wow.

So now I’m looking at upgrading (of course), and am thinking about the Kali IN-5 (and WS-6.2) to replace the KRK’s. I’m in a small room (3.6x3.4m) so bigger is not better in my case. There’s almost no limit to what you can spend of course but I’d like it to remain a hobby (famous last words ;-)…

So thanks all for the informative and fun content!

rickmurphy

Forum Donor
I'm a retired computer scientist, now with time available for music and audio engineering.

I've used the reviews here to identify new hardware, like the original Kadas Tone Board which I used without a case for many years. I upgraded it with a case a while back and its still in use today.

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
Is there any forum thread here were people display their audio systems?
Yep... and welcome to ASR. :)

JSmith

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
There's also:

#2 sticky in 'Member Area' ;)

MusicMan77

Hey y'all. Been reading this site for a year or so. So great to meet a like-minded group of audio-nuts!

Victoria

Sup everyone!~ Baaaaaccckkkkkkk!! Haha it’s been a while. Busy with life. Busy with depression. Busy with the world seemingly falling apart. How’s everyone been? Seems like my last post was almost two years ago. Whoops! Haven’t really had the need to post here much; housing issues meant I sold most of my gear but I still run around with my BeoSound Balance wherever I go (honestly can’t think of a better all-in-one wireless speaker with this much low frequency oompf in such a tiny — albeit heavy — package).

Man there’s so much to catch up on, but it does occasionally feel pointless knowing I don’t have the space for any new kit… and by the time I have settled down there’s probably going to be so much new stuff anyway deprecating old knowledge.

Anyway I’ll try to be a little more active again if anything catches my eye. Hope everyone’s doing decent or better though!~

UltraTay

furry audiophile gaming
was the hd800s a waste of money?
introduction text goes here

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sup everyone!~ Baaaaaccckkkkkkk!! Haha it’s been a while. Busy with life. Busy with depression. Busy with the world seemingly falling apart. How’s everyone been? Seems like my last post was almost two years ago. Whoops! Haven’t really had the need to post here much; housing issues meant I sold most of my gear but I still run around with my BeoSound Balance wherever I go (honestly can’t think of a better all-in-one wireless speaker with this much low frequency oompf in such a tiny — albeit heavy — package).

Man there’s so much to catch up on, but it does occasionally feel pointless knowing I don’t have the space for any new kit… and by the time I have settled down there’s probably going to be so much new stuff anyway deprecating old knowledge.

Anyway I’ll try to be a little more active again if anything catches my eye. Hope everyone’s doing decent or better though!~
Welcome back - though your last post was not long after my first :)

Victoria

Welcome back - though your last post was not long after my first :)
Thank you!~ You've been busy since then, though :p >4,600 posts in two years? Ouch. I've always been kinda on-and-off though depending on my random interests of the week/month/year. Think my attention span has drifted a little over the years, lol.

Top Bottom