• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Welcome New Members to ASR, introduce yourself here.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Finally made the leap and signed up. Have been checking in here for years to learn on various topics. Have been interested in audio reproduction since the early 70’s. Have had a stereo since 1974. My son may still have that Hitachi receiver.

Was planning on venturing into subs and room correction this year and addressing things in my mancave 2 channel room… then Hurricane Ian hung out off the coast and 40” of the Gulf of Mexico visited my home. Needless to say that has altered plans. Lost most everything audio related. Clean sheet to work with though so want to do things right from the get go. Luckily we have flood insurance coverage (including excess) and have our guest cabana above a separate garage/storage building to live in. They’re hanging and taping sheetrock as I write this hello.

Also want to thank @amirm and associates and mods for all the work here creating the great resource the site has become. I followed Amir’s posts on AVS during the HD-DVD vs Blu-ray battle. Was glad to catch up finding his work here.

I’ll be looking into room treatments, new AV electronics and major decisions on speakers for MY room for two channel and room correction options.

Regards,

Scott
Welcome Aboard @Muddywaters ! Thank you for joining and thank you very much for becoming a Donor for ASR. We have many resident experts who should be more than happy to help you create your dream Audio setup. I happen to be just north of you and endured a glancing blow from Ian. I hope you are able to recover and move on comfortably with your life and Audio passion. Best of luck Sir.

AdamG

Forum Donor
Long time lurker who made extensive use of AudioScience forum reviews & discussion starting a few years ago when I had a lot of free time at home on account of the pandemic. Not actively acquiring much new gear at this point, but I spent a lot of time collecting headphones, dacs and amps for a couple years. Saw something today I wanted to respond to and was surprised to discover that I never registered for an account. Anyway, I'm appreciative for the helpful info and discussions provided by the forum participants over the last few years!
Welcome Aboard @evilted. We love former lurkers. I was one myself once! :cool:

Muddywaters

Forum Donor
Welcome Aboard @Muddywaters ! Thank you for joining and thank you very much for becoming a Donor for ASR. We have many resident experts who should be more than happy to help you create your dream Audio setup. I happen to be just north of you and endured a glancing blow from Ian. I hope you are able to recover and move on comfortably with your life and Audio passion. Best of luck Sir.
Thank you for the welcoming @AdamG247

Hopefully your glancing blow from Ian didn’t cause too much damage for you. We are on the road to recovery. Have had some stressful times behind us now. Working on this stuff for the music is good for taking my mind off other issues!

Regards,

Scott

khensu

I’ve been around for the past few months, and have posted a couple times, but never properly introduced myself, so here goes.

I’ve considered myself an audiophile* for many years, but I’ve never spent serious amounts of money on gear. I didn’t have that kind of disposable income for a long time. The most expensive piece of equipment I own is my VPI Aries Scout TT which I bought lightly used off audiogon over 10 years ago now.

Don’t get me wrong, though. I’m not some sort of analog purist. I came here when I started looking into headphones. Since then, I’ve slapped together a Roon core, bought a couple pair of cans and a couple budget-y headphone amps. I’ve mentioned it elsewhere, but the first pair I bought was the HE400se followed by what felt like a decent bargain on ebay for an Oppo PM-3. These headphones basically elevated my “personal listening“ environment by a couple orders of magnitude over what I’d used in the past. I already had a drive with about 1.5TB of mostly FLACs of my music collection. It’s been a blast re-discovering so much of what I’ve been listening to for the past few decades.

I suppose that’s enough for now. Thanks for reading, and I’ll be doing the same

* The term “audiophile“ can mean different things to different people. All I mean by it is someone who is interested in the science and the technology of audio gear and is always looking for ways to optimize the signal path to my ears (which doesn’t necessarily mean buying more expensive gear).

Hip_Fan

Hello from Ronan Montana. Don't consider myself a "Audiophile" just a music lover who strives to have gear that reproduces the intended sound that the artist recorded. Looking forward to learning from you all and maybe contribute every once in a while myself.

Last edited:

sixsixty

Hi from Brooklyn. I came across this site last fall after a friend sent me a photo of his Schiit stack, and have spent most of my free time since then learning and dispelling my own old thoughts and beliefs on audio.

I've also since acquired some new audio gear, but by far the most entertaining things I've spent my money on have been buying a UMIK-1 and sending a small donation to the maker of REW. It's wild seeing what happens to measurements when changing variables and hearing how much difference an EQ can make ... Hrm, what happens when I move the speakers this way? What happens when I block the ports? What happens when I drape a towel over this speaker? Two towels? Lol. And my family is getting a kick outta seeing dad act like a nut ...

"Okay, everyone, time to be quiet again!"
"Sigh, there he goes again, playing 'Audio Lab'."

Philipp

Forum Donor
Hello everybody,
my name is Philipp, I am from Trier (old roman city) Germany.
I am 39 years old. Married, 5 Kids. The youngest 10 month. the oldest 10 years.
So not so much time for listening quietly to my fair (old) stereo equipment.
Amp: Denon PMA 700 AE
LS: Quad 11L2
Streaming music from Qobuz becomes relevant now in our living room.
Bought a WiiM Mini for this purpose, searched for a DAC to Go with the Denon 700, found the ASR forum.
Reading since, loving it!
Not yet decided on the DAC.
Tell my please, regarding my attached Link: Is the Amp worth keeping, maybe with a Topping DAC, Toslink (from WiiM) in, RCA to Denon Amp out, all good?
Best regards, Philipp

Denon Specs

Last edited:

Trackball02

Hi everyone, I'm a long time lurker, and wanted to join the AS forum.

I'm Jay in the Los Angeles area, and I really appreciate the objective measurements and comments, great going everyone! Science rules!

I've been slowly upgrading my system, and wondering how I can get some of my gear evaluated. My next post will be regarding my newly acquired Yamaha NS-5000 speakers.

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
Welcome. :cool:

WelllitShallowIndianringneckparakeet-max-1mb.gif

JSmith

subframe

Hi. I'm Chris. I've loved music and hi-fi stuff since I was a little kid. One of my earliest memories is sitting on the floor, marveling at the towering stack of magical boxes that was my dad's stereo - in reality it was probably just an FM receiver and a turntable, but to a little kid it was like an obelisk of sound :D

I've also been making electronic music for a quarter century now.

Happy to have found ASR, there are precious few (English-language) sources of measurements for a lot of gear.

Not sure how controversial this will be, but I should say that I do not believe measurements tell the whole story, especially with transducers and tubes. Vinyl playback systems interact in ways that are difficult to predict from numbers alone. Speakers even more so, in my experience. Obviously the room has its effect, but the sum of the parts often adds up to something more or less than measurements will tell us. That said, I think it's important to stay rational about this stuff, and take measurements for their full value at all times - no $10k power cables for me.

Anyway, really enjoying all the knowledge and respectful discourse here, it's great to see!

Wizard509

Forum Donor
I found ASR a few weeks ago when I started looking for information on using a DAC with a vintage stereo receiver. I have learned much within the past few weeks and look forward to learning much more.

MANY THANKS to those who make ASR available.

hightower

Hi all,
I'm new to ASR, but a lurker for some time. My name is Michael and I'm from Germany, 51 years old. I've owned a stereo since I was 18 and have rediscovered listening to music for myself.
Just updated my 30 year old hifi sytem by replacing my Dynaudio Contour 1.3 with Neumann KH 150 (w. MA1). Still looking fo a new preamp.

Thanks!

Michael

August West

I have decided after more a long time lurking to finally join up. First thing to mention, I am an unabashed Deadhead. If you see me in the "what are you listening to forum" you will get the idea. If there are any deadheads out there, lemme know.

USMC1316

Hi ASR
I discovered this site from ASR on YouTube, and the site is great! I live in Texas, I'm pretty new to HIFi in general. Up to a year ago I was unsure what a DAC was.. Its been a quick and aggressive learning experience, thanks to this site and some YouTube people I follow. My music style is anything from DeathMetal, Techo, Delta Blues, classical and so on. I have yet figured out how to enjoy Jazz, but I trying to find a way to connect with it.

My equipment at home is not much:
  • Peachtree 125sky integrated amp
  • MartinLogan 40i towers speakers
  • Pro-Ject P1 turntable with a Rega mini A2D phono
  • SMSL SH-8s headphone amp
  • Geshelli Lab J2 (AKM), on order. No idea when it will show up
  • Schiit Hel gaming amp with Drop x38 headphones
  • Wiim pro for streaming
Thanks
Jeff

August West

Been around for a week or so. Its time to "explain" myself. I'm a life long Deadhead and it plays a big part in music for me.
The first concert I went to my brother taped it with a small Craig reel machine 5" reels. To cut a long story I'm cutting 2 years into
this folly. I heard the Grateful Dead on KSAN FM play in the closing week of the Fillmore West. And I was hooked. A month later I
saw my first show. (and I taped it) I've been collection live shows ever since. I will leave it here for now, there are many chapters.
Lemme know if you want to read more.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have yet figured out how to enjoy Jazz, but I trying to find a way to connect with it.
Try JazzRadio.com to sample various sub-genres of jazz. Free is 64kbit w/ads, paid is $80/year. I stream via bluetooth from the tablet I use for a bedroom alarm clock/music player to a pair of small active bedside speakers (Edifier 180BT). I use that system for going to sleep music and background music since it opens to my little living/kitchen room.

For "serious" jazz listening, I have hundreds of ripped albums on a NAS.

AdamG

Forum Donor
Been around for a week or so. Its time to "explain" myself. I'm a life long Deadhead and it plays a big part in music for me.
The first concert I went to my brother taped it with a small Craig reel machine 5" reels. To cut a long story I'm cutting 2 years into
this folly. I heard the Grateful Dead on KSAN FM play in the closing week of the Fillmore West. And I was hooked. A month later I
saw my first show. (and I taped it) I've been collection live shows ever since. I will leave it here for now, there are many chapters.
Lemme know if you want to read more.
Welcome Aboard @August West. You are more than welcome to start your own Dead Head Thread! Where you can talk all things Dead all day and night with all the other Dead Heads here. Have fun and enjoy ;)

Top Bottom