• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

VMV D2R and VMV P2

gizmo90

I got the VMV D2R today. I listened about 20 track. Its voice is still likely to change (burn in period).
First impression after SMSL VMV D1SE DAC:
- Sound of D1SE has some bright/sharp component. This is missing from D2R sound so its sound more natural.

- D1SE has stronger/deeper bass. I hope it will change at D2R DAC. Now the D1SE has better bass.

(I have been using the D1SE DAC for 2 years. I didn't change anything. Same streamer (Pi4+Volumio) and cables. I tried with the D2R factory settings).
For what its worth my D2R sounded better after a month. I had the D1se2 and yes, it was sharp at times while still being an excellent DAC.
D2R reminds me of the Phillips tda based DACs, but better!

Rotel

For what its worth my D2R sounded better after a month. I had the D1se2 and yes, it was sharp at times while still being an excellent DAC.
D2R reminds me of the Phillips tda based DACs, but better!
Yes, the D2R is the better DAC. Only the usual D1SE sub bass is missing. I will use it and probably the sound will changing. It's a good DAC, worth the price ($850) to me.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I got the VMV D2R today. I listened about 20 track. Its voice is still likely to change (burn in period).
First impression after SMSL VMV D1SE DAC:
- Sound of D1SE has some bright/sharp component. This is missing from D2R sound so its sound more natural.

- D1SE has stronger/deeper bass. I hope it will change at D2R DAC. Now the D1SE has better bass.

(I have been using the D1SE DAC for 2 years. I didn't change anything. Same streamer (Pi4+Volumio) and cables. I tried with the D2R factory settings).
There isn’t such a thing as burn-in (see the plenty of threads here). You are the one adapting. Enjoy.

Peternz

Thanks for sharing, but of course everyone listens to it through their own DAC. Nice setup.

Potion9

I've also had the D1se for a year and half than move to SU-10 early this summer. At first my ears/brain is telling me D1se has a smoother sound than SU-10 which was a bit of disappointment. Fast forward 2 weeks later while I was messing around with Audacity recording and playback. Well, this is where I start to notice songs that was recorded using SU-10 have richer sound quality than D1se during playback on my Arya SE. It must be the brain adapting and adjusting thing, I guess. There is a filter setting on both DAC, and when set to Tube on D1se it sounded pretty good but not on SU-10. I'm not entirely sure why and could be just me.

I was thinking same thing as Rotel and getting a R2R but while browsing last night I saw SMSL just release D400 PRO that had AK9944. There's a YouTube video with sound demo from Thamar where he compared D400EX a higher model to SU-10. Using my Arya SE headset and D90 amp, Grace Mahya voice sounded like she was singing through a tin can, but fine with SU-10 in that video. I thought I was just having hearing issues again, so I put in that same CD (last recording at dug) and play the same track with my SU-10 and it was perfect. So, that was a bit disappointment.

Came across this VMV D2R with no review on YouTube except for 1 but in Japanese, and when I heard the sound demo is where I pull the trigger. Just like Rotel here. LOL - It just WOW!!! I hope it will sound 9/10 as good in my main rig and HP when it arrived, I will be fine. :)

Rotel - You may want to change your video title and put VMV D2R in front so when people do a search your vid will come up. I didn't see your video while searching YouTube until I came here and saw your post. Thanks for posting that video by the way.

Enjoy listening everyone!

Last edited:
Top Bottom