• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vintage amplifiers that could challenge or approach current state of the art amplifiers

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is my old setup (actually in boxes in the garage with extra amps and tuners) sounds good but ...
No "buts" were needed...:( but that is a "he-man" system and not a wrinkly beauty queen..
What speakers were used with this system and where did your voyages take you after this?

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What speakers were used with this system and where did your voyages take you after this?
I built my own with KEF drivers and crossovers with help of Db Audio in Berkeley '79. Then in the mid '90s went to Theil S2.4s but soon after switched amps ~ yr 2000.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anything made by Accuphase or some premium TEAC and Sansui (and others) stuff still sounds pretty glorious. But weights a ton and will take up quite a bit of space. I seem to recall on this site a vintage NAD amp was tested and did pretty well.
Especially if you used the LAB INPUTS (Which Amirm did at almost the end of the test). That was one of my NAD 2200's resto-modded by Peter at QuirkAudio.
Here is that part of the results (HINT: a SINAD of 95 throws it into the BLUE section of the chart):
Lab Input Measurements
I was surprised that the frequency response was not flat but was relieved to see later in the thread that this is due to insertion of low and high pass filters. So here is the frequency response with Lab input that doesn't have such a filter:

NAD 2200 stereo power amplifier frequency response audio measurements.png

Response now (in green) as it should be, ruler flat to below 10 Hz, and well extending past the 40 kHz limit of this measurement.

I figured the filters may be adding some noise/distortion so re-ran the dashboard again:
NAD 2200 stereo power amplifier Lab Input audio measurements.png

Distortion doesn't change but if you look at the noise floor at 20 Hz, it is down by some 10 dB. That improves SINAD a couple of dBs, making the amplifier stand out even more!
Best vintage stereo amplifier review measurements.png

Zoomed:

1591750335920.png

And signal to noise ratio:

NAD 2200 stereo power amplifier SNR Lab input audio measurements.png

Conclusions
Nice to see innovation like this from equipment that is over 30 years old! Shame on manufacturers that produce amplifiers for much less power, more distortion and higher prices these days. No, you don't get a fancy case here and sheet metal is strictly budget category. But you are not going to sit on the amp. The guts are where it matters and NAD 2200 delivers.

NOTE: the output relay on stock 2200 gets corroded and fails over time. There are videos and DIY threads on how to upgrade the relay there to fix the problem. The unit tested here has that fix. Other than that, there are not reports of many other reliability issues even though NAD products are often said to be less reliable than other brands.

Overall, I am happy to recommend the NAD 2200. I almost gave it the highest honors but given the upgraded nature of the test unit, and the fact that used amps may have issues, I avoided that. But you could have easily pushed me to give it the golfing panther.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Speaking of vintage NADs. NAD C 320BEE is on the verge of vintage, around 20 years old. 67W and 95 dB SINAD if you only use the power amp part. Incidentally, you can get a used one for around $110-140. About what a cheap little class D amp costs today. I would have chosen the NAD C 320BEE any day of the week in that case. A lot to avoid worrying about load dependency, which many small cheap class D amps have problems with. Plus it's a good class AB design so it manages to keep the distortion low in the higher registers. Disadvantage, compared to small class D, is that it is then, well in comparison, not physically small. Plus as usual with used and older electronics. No guarantees how long it will last.

I have one but with the tuner section in , that is NAD C 720BEE. I use it sometimes. For those watts a rather physically large and (I think) ugly looking receiver BUT it does what it's supposed to in a good way.:)

low_art

The Yamaha A-1 integrated from the late 1970s is a fine piece of gear. It's my favorite amplifier for use with a Stax passive transformer box (SRD-7/SB) and in that setup I feel confident saying it is an essentially transparent amplifier. I had my A-1 restored- I want to be sure it is in good repair for many years to come.

DanielT

Major Contributor
The Yamaha A-1 integrated from the late 1970s is a fine piece of gear. It's my favorite amplifier for use with a Stax passive transformer box (SRD-7/SB) and in that setup I feel confident saying it is an essentially transparent amplifier. I had my A-1 restored- I want to be sure it is in good repair for many years to come.
It seems good, according to Amir's measurement. It probably makes sense that you restored it. Especially if there was a review and recap of the power supply part of it. It's still old electronics.

This may make sense to keep in mind:
"FYI, 1 volt is the maximum usable input on this amp. Going beyond that severely clips. Rated input is actually much lower than this and being before the CD era, this is understood."

This was great! ::)
Yamaha A-1 Stereo Amplifier THD vs Frequency vs Level Audio Measurements.png

low_art

It seems good, according to Amir's measurement. It probably makes sense that you restored it. Especially if there was a review and recap of the power supply part of it. It's still old electronics.

This may make sense to keep in mind:
"FYI, 1 volt is the maximum usable input on this amp. Going beyond that severely clips. Rated input is actually much lower than this and being before the CD era, this is understood."

This was great! ::)
View attachment 299135
Yes, Amir's review was one of the reasons I mentioned it in this thread since there are some test results to back up the subjectively good performance.
Since I've used it in conjunction with a PC which also has two volume controls via Windows and Itunes, maybe that along with the additional analog volume control of the A-1 helps to circumvent what might otherwise be an issue with the usable input level before clipping. I've never driven it to audible clipping anyway.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
From Peter Aczel's My Legacy, written sometime in the very early 2000's
"Amplifiers have been quite excellent for more than a few decades, offering few opportunities for engineering breakthroughs. There are significant differences in topology, measured specifications, physical design, and cosmetics, not to mention price, but the sound of all properly designed units is basically the same. The biggest diversity is in power supplies, ranging from barely adequate to ridiculously overdesigned. That may or may not affect the sound quality, depending on the impedance characteristics and efficiency of the loudspeaker. The point is that, unless the amplifier has serious design errors or is totally mismatched to a particular speaker, the sound you will hear is the sound of the speaker, not the amplifier. As for the future, I think it belongs to highly refined class D amplifiers, such as Bang & Olufsen’s ICEpower modules and Bruno Putzeys’s modular Hypex designs, compact and efficient enough to be incorporated in powered loudspeakers. The free-standing power amplifier will slowly become history, except perhaps as an audiophile affectation. What about vacuum-tube designs? If you like second-harmonic distortion, output transformers, and low damping factors, be my guest. (Can you imagine a four-way powered loudspeaker driven by vacuum-tube modules?)"

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Speaking of vintage NADs. NAD C 320BEE is on the verge of vintage, around 20 years old. 67W and 95 dB SINAD if you only use the power amp part. Incidentally, you can get a used one for around $110-140. About what a cheap little class D amp costs today. I would have chosen the NAD C 320BEE any day of the week in that case. A lot to avoid worrying about load dependency, which many small cheap class D amps have problems with. Plus it's a good class AB design so it manages to keep the distortion low in the higher registers. Disadvantage, compared to small class D, is that it is then, well in comparison, not physically small. Plus as usual with used and older electronics. No guarantees how long it will last.

I have one but with the tuner section in , that is NAD C 720BEE. I use it sometimes. For those watts a rather physically large and (I think) ugly looking receiver BUT it does what it's supposed to in a good way.:)
Easy to repair (or modify with newer style caps with more, ahhm, capacity [and other items] while keeping the excellent circuit design the same) & making it good for another 50 years is another big advantage

DanielT

Major Contributor
Easy to repair (or modify with newer style caps with more, ahhm, capacity [and other items] while keeping the excellent circuit design the same) & making it good for another 50 years is another big advantage
You mean a recap on the receiver NAD C 720BEE?I do not know. Don't think it's needed, yet.

Pros: 67 fine watts. Can be used as a pure power amp. Then with a SINAD of 95. Good, I think.

Cons: Physically large and ugly.

Speaking of size, as amp guru Bruno Putzeys said about class D:
The big advantage is the class D efficiency and thus the possibility of being built physically small, with a lot of power. Otherwise, there is no direct reason to design class D amps according to Bruno Putzeys. :)

Edit:
Nothing wrong with the NAD C 720BEE on the contrary BUT it is like no receiver that is or will be a classic. It's more like a good standard car, roughly. No item to "hot up". Ok, if I had some new good electrolytic capacitors at home I could replace them in the power supply but I won't do more than that with it.:)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 48726

You mean a recap on the receiver NAD C 720BEE?I do not know. Don't think it's needed, yet.

Pros: 67 fine watts. Can be used as a pure power amp. Then with a SINAD of 95. Good, I think.

Cons: Physically large and ugly.

Speaking of size, as amp guru Bruno Putzeys said about class D:
The big advantage is the class D efficiency and thus the possibility of being built physically small, with a lot of power. Otherwise, there is no direct reason to design class D amps according to Bruno Putzeys. :)

Edit:
Nothing wrong with the NAD C 720BEE on the contrary BUT it is like no receiver that is or will be a classic. It's more like a good standard car, roughly. No item to "hot up". Ok, if I had some new good electrolytic capacitors at home I could replace them in the power supply but I won't do more than that with it.:)
It's a Toyota Corolla.

Top Bottom