• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

USB audio interfaces interest

What USB audio interfaces do you want measurements made of?

• Swissonic UA-2x2

Votes: 27 9.2%
  • Midiplus Studio M

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Presonus AudioBox iOne

Votes: 17 5.8%
  • Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen

Votes: 150 51.0%
  • Audient iD4

Votes: 68 23.1%
  • Steinberg UR22 MK2

Votes: 70 23.8%
  • Roland Rubix22

Votes: 30 10.2%
  • Presonus Studio 24

Votes: 32 10.9%
  • Mackie Onyx Artist 1.2

Votes: 16 5.4%
  • Icon Cube 4nano

Votes: 3 1.0%

• Total voters

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Indeed. I was also under the impression that the 1616M was just the outboard version of the 1212. I can't recall at this point. Both worked flawlessly in use for me.

sejarzo

Forum Donor
I know this may sound like a waste of time, but a measurement of the good old E-MU 0404USB.

I was an early adopter for use simply as a USB DAC. There was no question that FLAC>Foobar2000>0404USB clearly outclassed my Musical Fidelity CDPre24 spinning CDs.

Over time, all the pots became extremely noisy. Just tapping on the top caused the input meters to jump all over the place. I did try to load the final drivers to run it on Windows 10 but that didn't work for some reason. Still sitting in my closet.

L5730

Looks like quality control is a bit sketchy on the new Motu devices.
I've seen a few comments and a couple of videos showing one pot being a bit wobbly. One poor customer had the +48v and Monitor buttons put on in place of each other - correct position to actual function, but the button covers were in the wrong place.

I suppose it just goes like with everything, buy from somewhere with a good returns policy.

cryptout

This is a long shot but I'd love to see some measurements on the Allen & Heath Xone:96. It's a DJ mixer with two internal USB DACs. It's supposed to have great sound quality but after searching the web I cannot find any specs or measurements.

Asylum Seeker

A picture is worth a thousand words:
jitter.png.46e887cc281592cd4dfde5d238f57280.png
Looks like a textbook case of 'moustache' distorsión.

KLang1

And ask them to send in a sample for review! :)
Or you ask them for measurements. We only have a System One at the moment so I'm not sure AD/DA measurements are possible, but there's a ton of stuff we could measure.
It's an older system, but it checks out ;)

Reinhold

SSL have a couple of new interfaces SSL2 and SSL 2+.
Both are USB-C, 2 input (Mic, Line, Hi-Z) devices with independently switchable phantom power, as well as MIDI I/O. But the 2+ adds a second headphone and line output. Nice big chunky knobs and looks rather industrial. Like someone took a hacksaw to a console and stole a bit to make a new interface.

I think the Moto M4 is more flexible as a home/small studio interface, but still doesn't have a pure digital I/O (ADAT, S/PDIF) connection.

RME Babyface Pro FS is looking like over 3x the price of the M4! It does seem to have just about everything one could want for future proofing and solid, reliable supported drivers for Windows.
please do a review :)
https://www.solidstatelogic.com/products/ssl2

• 2-In / 2-Out USB-C Audio Interface
  • 2 x SSL-designed microphone preamps
  • Legacy 4K - analogue colour enhancement, inspired by classic SSL consoles
  • Professional, high-current grade headphone output
  • 24-bit / 192 kHz AD/DA AKM Converters
  • Easy-to-use Monitor Mix Control
  • Balanced monitor outputs
  • SSL Production Pack software bundle
  • USB 2.0 bus-powered audio interface for Mac/PC

AllanDavidson

Please do a review from one of the new MOTUs (M2 or M4).

i've ask MOTU about the output impedance of the headphone jack and the RCA outputs. The answered very fast.

Thank you for your interest in our products! The RCA outputs on the rear of the M2 can be controlled by the monitor volume knob on the front of the unit. Only the "monitor" pair of RCA outputs can be controlled by the monitor knob on the M4. The "line out" pair of RCA outputs will output at a fixed volume.

The M2 and M4's headphone output impedance is less than 0.05 ohms. They will drive low and high impedance Headphones because of the low impedance and high voltage supply. If I can be of further assistance, please let me know.

Ryan - MOTU

I second this

The only thing preventing me from getting the Motu M4, is that I'm waiting for @amirm review of the unit he said he have.

thefsb

I second this

The only thing preventing me from getting the Motu M4, is that I'm waiting for @amirm review of the unit he said he have.
If you search here you'll find measurements that others have done that show its performance is well into the "solved problem" zone.

I've used an M4 as my main desktop ADC/DAC for a few weeks and it's really nice. In terms of features, ergonomics and build quality it's a lot more than you'd expect for $200.

BeerBear

I'd like to see the measurements of the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 2, at least the headphone output impedance (the rest was mostly measured already by Julian Krause on Youtube).

And also the headphone output impedance of the Behringer UMC202HD and/or UMC204HD (I suppose all models in this range are the same).

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was an early adopter for use simply as a USB DAC. There was no question that FLAC>Foobar2000>0404USB clearly outclassed my Musical Fidelity CDPre24 spinning CDs.

Over time, all the pots became extremely noisy. Just tapping on the top caused the input meters to jump all over the place. I did try to load the final drivers to run it on Windows 10 but that didn't work for some reason. Still sitting in my closet.

I still have my 1212M in static bag. Just a Windows 7 Machine away from getting it back up and running.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Indeed. I was also under the impression that the 1616M was just the outboard version of the 1212. I can't recall at this point. Both worked flawlessly in use for me.

It was an add-on same as the 1820m.

Thorskin

If you search here you'll find measurements that others have done that show its performance is well into the "solved problem" zone.

I've used an M4 as my main desktop ADC/DAC for a few weeks and it's really nice. In terms of features, ergonomics and build quality it's a lot more than you'd expect for $200.
Do you use a headphone amp with it or use the built in one?
I was wondering if the Motu m4 is good enough to replace all 3 devices for me.

ousi

I actually have a Apogee Quartet lying around idling for now. Wondering if anyone wanted to measure this 2013 piece of equipment?

ousi

Well, that'd give us a global idea of the brand.

This covid thing closes out most of the mailing service stores in my area. Gotta wait till it clears up a bit and will contact amirm to mail that to him.

OP
q3cpma

q3cpma

Major Contributor
This covid thing closes out most of the mailing service stores in my area. Gotta wait till it clears up a bit and will contact amirm to mail that to him.
Now that's I've seen the quite amazing official specs (-113 dB of THD+N and 123 dB(A) of dynamic range), I'm even more interested. Since the Duet has the same specs and half the price, this might be even useful.
On the other hand, I really dislike those complex devices with a screen or touch controls. Doesn't look UAC compliant and the 1 year warranty leaves me cold, too.

Top Bottom