• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

USB audio interfaces interest

What USB audio interfaces do you want measurements made of?

• Swissonic UA-2x2

Votes: 27 9.2%
  • Midiplus Studio M

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Presonus AudioBox iOne

Votes: 17 5.8%
  • Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen

Votes: 150 51.0%
  • Audient iD4

Votes: 68 23.1%
  • Steinberg UR22 MK2

Votes: 70 23.8%
  • Roland Rubix22

Votes: 30 10.2%
  • Presonus Studio 24

Votes: 32 10.9%
  • Mackie Onyx Artist 1.2

Votes: 16 5.4%
  • Icon Cube 4nano

Votes: 3 1.0%

• Total voters

madmalkav

In this new era of remote working/streaming/podcasting, I would love to see reviews of USB mixers, as they seem more versatile for these scenarios than normal interfaces (mix minus, loopbacks and the likes).

Skeletor

Please test the Rode AI-1
I'm with artburda. Bought the Rode AI-1 as a phantom power audio interface for my XLR mic, but the headphone amp seems surprisingly capable at 210 mW (32 Ohms).

I notice an audible hiss with IEMs, but when it's driving my HD 560S and Arya Stealth the background is black, which in both cases reach ear-bleeding levels with the volume dial only at halfway.

There's some horrible channel imbalance at very low volumes, but as soon as you're up to listening levels that issue resolves itself. Curious to see what actual measurements tell us about such an affordable DAC amp option.

Last edited:

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
FYI, the AI-1 appears in @Julian Krause's test data.
jk hpout 2.jpg

Unsurprisingly, the headphone output turns out to be powerful to very powerful with lowish output impedance but decidedly average in the noise department and regarding channel balance. In return the monitor out appears to be super weak-sauce for some reason (line output level is even lower than the usual Behringers).

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
FYI, the AI-1 appears in @Julian Krause's test data.
View attachment 251271
Unsurprisingly, the headphone output turns out to be powerful to very powerful with lowish output impedance but decidedly average in the noise department and regarding channel balance. In return the monitor out appears to be super weak-sauce for some reason (line output level is even lower than the usual Behringers).

I got that one a few years ago when I bought it with a kit having the NT1 and the nice Rycote shock mount. My wife is using it on the desktop for the Genelec 8330A and for headphone usage. It's small and compact, and drives the Beyerdynamic 250Ohm more than loud enough.

While I see the RODE AI-1 on @Julian Krause list I've not found an actual review of it by him.

Trell

Major Contributor
I got that one a few years ago when I bought it with a kit having the NT1 and the nice Rycote shock mount. My wife is using it on the desktop for the Genelec 8330A and for headphone usage. It's small and compact, and drives the Beyerdynamic 250Ohm more than loud enough.

While I see the RODE AI-1 on @Julian Krause list I've not found an actual review of it by him.

I'll have to add to this as I no longer use the RODE AI-1 with 8330A, and is replaced with the MOTU M2 that I already own. The AI-1 will begin to audibly distort heavily on mains output when the volume pot is about 70% or higher.

The way I found that is when I reduced the internal volume of the 8330A (using GLM) to be able to use a wider range of the volume pot. I was worried that somehow my wife's' 8330A was damaged for some reason, but using the M2 that I had I could test that was not the case.

A bad sign is that RODE has removed some specifications compared to when I bought it, like headphone output at two impedance levels. So I suggest stay away from AI-1.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A bit off topic, but I've been using my Bluesound Node as an audio interface to tie my TV audio (via HDMI eARC) into my stereo DAC, amp and speakers. Works great.

Kane1972

It seems I was wrong about the Tuscan 208i line inputs bypassing the amps. It also seems, from the review of the 102i, that the specs are nowhere near to what Tascam suggest.

jure

BTW , does anyone have some info / measurements /general consensus regarding:

Behringer UMC1820

M-Audio M-track 8

ESI U86 XT

Kane1972

I'd be very interested in measurements of the Metric Halo interfaces.
Me too, as these can now be picked up at a reasonable price on the used market. However, they are Firewire I believe so not sure if Amir can test Firewire interfaces? Do you not what the 2D and 3D upgrades do? What is upgraded? Thanks

dave999z

Me too, as these can now be picked up at a reasonable price on the used market. However, they are Firewire I believe so not sure if Amir can test Firewire interfaces? Do you not what the 2D and 3D upgrades do? What is upgraded? Thanks
They're all USB-C now (and ethernet), not firewire. That's one of the things the 3d upgrade did, as well as added processing power and new modular I/O options.

I have a ULN-2 that I did the 3d upgrade on. It passes AES signal to my Genelecs flawlessly. :p I use the analog out as well to a power amp and passive monitors.

The ULN-2 is temporarily discontinued but my understanding is it will be relaunched eventually with an updated ADC/DAC and mic pres.

Kane1972

They're all USB now (and ethernet), not firewire. That's one of the things the 3d upgrade did, as well as added processing power and new modular I/O options.

I have a ULN-2 that I did the 3d upgrade on. It passes AES signal to my Genelecs flawlessly. :p I use the analog out as well to a power amp and passive monitors.

The ULN-2 is temporarily discontinued but my understanding is it will be relaunched eventually with an updated ADC/DAC and mic pres.
Oh great, thanks. So in terms of sound quality, all of the ULN-2's and 2882's will be on par? I was thinking of picking up a 2882, as I don't need mic preamps in my interface, just line ins and outs. My MBP still has firewire (as well as Thunderbolt 1) and even when I upgrade, I should be able to use a Thundebolt to firewire adapter or get the USB upgrade. I just wonder if the £300 a 2882 costs would still be worth it today as the conversion is now pretty old. The Apogee Ensemble (Firewire) can also be had for even less, under £200, but again, not sure there would be much gain over the TC Electronic Impact Twin I currently use (conversion wise). I bought a Tascam 208i (used) as the specs seemed great but after Amir's testing of the 202i, it seems the actual specs are way down from what Tascam had claimed and probably worse than the older TC interface. I really want line inputs that bypass any amplification (as the TC does).

dave999z

Oh great, thanks. So in terms of sound quality, all of the ULN-2's and 2882's will be on par? I was thinking of picking up a 2882, as I don't need mic preamps in my interface, just line ins and outs. My MBP still has firewire (as well as Thunderbolt 1) and even when I upgrade, I should be able to use a Thundebolt to firewire adapter or get the USB upgrade. I just wonder if the £300 a 2882 costs would still be worth it today as the conversion is now pretty old. The Apogee Ensemble (Firewire) can also be had for even less, under £200, but again, not sure there would be much gain over the TC Electronic Impact Twin I currently use (conversion wise). I bought a Tascam 208i (used) as the specs seemed great but after Amir's testing of the 202i, it seems the actual specs are way down from what Tascam had claimed and probably worse than the older TC interface. I really want line inputs that bypass any amplification (as the TC does).
You could ask Metric Halo; they're pretty straightforward and helpful. The ULN-2 and 2882 may have pretty dated DACs at this point. They were probably excellently implemented at the time, but I'm not sure how the measured ADC and DAC performance would compare to the current models, which are indeed pricey.

87BCE

I've been using a Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 for a number of years and have been mainly satisfied with it. The big volume knob is a nice touch, and the unit seems a good value if your headphone are not terribly power-hungry. I'd be curious to know how it measures compared to the cheaper KA 1/2 variants. I upgraded to a dedicated headphone amplifier so it doesn't get as much use, aside from occasionally needing to record something.

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've been using a Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 for a number of years and have been mainly satisfied with it. The big volume knob is a nice touch, and the unit seems a good value if your headphone are not terribly power-hungry. I'd be curious to know how it measures compared to the cheaper KA 1/2 variants. I upgraded to a dedicated headphone amplifier so it doesn't get as much use, aside from occasionally needing to record something.
Curious abt it too ngl

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As much as the Yamaha AG06Mk2. Still find it suspicious how they suddenly removed all performance related specs that were published for the Mk1 series

Top Bottom