• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgraded My Ears

mcdonalk

A few weeks ago, I was listening to a symphony, when I heard a reverberant effect. "I've never heard THAT before [on that recording]," I thought to myself. Hours passed, and bass began taking on a stronger tone, but less defined. At its most pronounced, it actually sounded like it was coming from inside my head. These sensations came and went, with large absences. But it did not subside permanently. I felt intuitively that it was an allergic reaction, and I had had enough. So, I called my allergist. The nurse recognized the phenomena immediately. It was an allergic reaction characterized by fluid backing up in my Eustachian tubes and pressing against my tympanic membrane (ear drum) from the inside. The solution was rather simple, using OTC medications: fluticasone (Flonase) nose spray applied with a specific technique that directed the fluid to my Eustachian tubes, and a ceterizine antihistamine tablet. Within 12 hours, the phenomenon had cleared up, and my stereo system sounds better than I recall it in some time.
I have an history of allergies, and I wonder whether this has been creeping up on me for some time. My allergist says that the allergy season here (Phoenix AZ USA) is worse than ever. My reading indicates that allergens are going to increase with global warming.

hyperplanar

Man, allergies are definitely a pain in the ass. I get overly sensitive in the 3 kHz area when my Eustachian tubes are blocked.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
A few weeks ago, I was listening to a symphony, when I heard a reverberant effect. "I've never heard THAT before [on that recording]," I thought to myself. Hours passed, and bass began taking on a stronger tone, but less defined. At its most pronounced, it actually sounded like it was coming from inside my head. These sensations came and went, with large absences. But it did not subside permanently. I felt intuitively that it was an allergic reaction, and I had had enough. So, I called my allergist. The nurse recognized the phenomena immediately. It was an allergic reaction characterized by fluid backing up in my Eustachian tubes and pressing against my tympanic membrane (ear drum) from the inside. The solution was rather simple, using OTC medications: fluticasone (Flonase) nose spray applied with a specific technique that directed the fluid to my Eustachian tubes, and a ceterizine antihistamine tablet. Within 12 hours, the phenomenon had cleared up, and my stereo system sounds better than I recall it in some time.
I have an history of allergies, and I wonder whether this has been creeping up on me for some time. My allergist says that the allergy season here (Phoenix AZ USA) is worse than ever. My reading indicates that allergens are going to increase with global warming.
It’s not the pollen, it’s the heat!

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Here in Scandinavia this spring has been very cod cold, but now we have had a few warm days - and huge amount of pollen from trees! Birch is the worst for me most people, and timothy grass in the summer. I have had hyposensibilization, but still I must use asthma inhalators and eyedrops in springtime.

Hearing and balance problems come and go frequently, that's why I can't trust my ears for evaluating hifi!

Last edited:
Top Bottom