• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upcoming Tom Danley Hifi speakers

gnarly

Major Contributor
TBH, I think it's going to be harder physically setting the speaker on the stand than it is to accurately measure it. This sucker is HEAVY. :D :eek:

Hi Erin, I had to get a hydraulic lift table to move my heavier speakers around. Can't do without it now...

And thank you (and DSL) for the video on your Hyperion impressions.

(Currently enjoying your Klippel NFS discussion with Christian Bellmann........super stuff :)

best, mark

Last edited:

gnarly

Major Contributor
In making the crossover etc, was able to use an FIR filter to correct the phase of the sub woofer to around zero a good ways down in F (dependent on DSP Taps and how much correction down low is needed). This then allowed the sub woofer to mate seamlessly without phase shift to the upper section.

Hi Tom, may i ask how much latency did you ended up with?
Thx, and best, mark

tomtoo

Major Contributor
TBH, I think it's going to be harder physically setting the speaker on the stand than it is to accurately measure it. This sucker is HEAVY. :D :eek:

Pro region, muscels are your friend. ;)

Wait when it comes to measuring pro subs. :)
At least we could ask @icansolvetheproblem about his tiny pc subs and then extrapolate. ;)

Last edited:

kyle_neuron

I'm talking about where I set the acoustic origin, physically. I want to make sure the system doesn't run in to the speaker. Should be no problem at all. But I'm gonna hang around while the measurement runs just to make sure everything is OK. ;)

It’s definitely ‘behind the box’ as a starting point. On some of the bigger Danley products, it’s actually much farther back than you’d think. The first, second and third time I measured an SBH10 I threw away all the data because it just didn’t make sense :)

@hardisj once you’ve managed the SH50 solo, try and tackle a J7-95 back at the factory. They’re not massively larger than the SH50 physically, but I’m pretty sure there are neutron stars with less density. It’s always fun watching the hired help try to unload the truck with those…

@Tom Danley hello buddy! I’ve also been very curious what filter length you ended up with on the Hyperion FIR if HQ will allow you to share?

I never cease to be impressed with how open you’re allowed to be with these things. The other speaker design whizz kids have to be pinned down at a trade show and plied with good food or booze before they spill the beans!

q3cpma

Major Contributor
@hardisj once you’ve managed the SH50 solo, try and tackle a J7-95 back at the factory. They’re not massively larger than the SH50 physically, but I’m pretty sure there are neutron stars with less density. It’s always fun watching the hired help try to unload the truck with those…
After reading the website description (six 10” woofers, four 6.5” mids and eight 1” highs), one may wonder just how much magnet weight there is in those 265 lbs.

Tom Danley

Technical Expert
Audio Company
@Tom Danley so the Hyperion low frequency section is not a tapped horn - were there any challenges with cabinet vibration? Doubtful you built that enclosure in any way flimsy - heh - I admit I have uttered a few invectives your way Tom, a few times actually - usually while loading your boxes after a show - I had a TH412 drop a couple inches onto my finger and crush it. My wife calls it my Danley finger to this day. View attachment 136660
Oh man I am sorry, this stuff is always bigger and heavier than on my computer screen.
I still have 3 scars on my stomach from Hernia Surgery from making some "heavy" speakers.
Nice job though!
Best,
Tom

Tom Danley

Technical Expert
Audio Company
@Tom Danley: can you tell us a bit about the drivers in the Synergy horn part of the Hyperion. Some people were put off using the SH50s for domestic use because of the perception that its drivers were chosen for high SPL capability rather than high fidelity. How good are the drivers in the Hyperion?

In the 90's I had a friend who was a writer for a old magazine The Perfect Vision and he (Dan Sweeney) said something that stuck in my head. He said There are speakers that go loud and speakers that sound good but none do both well. I thought ok, there is something to think about.

An observable property was that harmonic distortion or "free sound" and noise the speaker produces on it's own, increases in SPL at a faster rate than the SPL related to the actual signal with increasing level. All of those considerations point at "headroom is your friend"
On the other hand, some things you hear are time and space related, sounds the speaker radiated at a different time or location than the main radiation and so on.
The idea of the geometry is taking care of that part and while the drivers are loafing in a living room, that is where loudspeaker drivers are the best normally.

Tom Danley

Technical Expert
Audio Company
It’s definitely ‘behind the box’ as a starting point. On some of the bigger Danley products, it’s actually much farther back than you’d think. The first, second and third time I measured an SBH10 I threw away all the data because it just didn’t make sense :)

@Tom Danley hello buddy! I’ve also been very curious what filter length you ended up with on the Hyperion FIR if HQ will allow you to share?

I never cease to be impressed with how open you’re allowed to be with these things. The other speaker design whizz kids have to be pinned down at a trade show and plied with good food or booze before they spill the beans!

Hi Kyle
The low end takes the most taps and about 2000 has been good down to 30-40Hz depending how much phase correction you do. The amplifiers now (the one in front of me) can have up to 10,000 @ 96k but that's not needed.
I have tried to answer questions partly because of a promise i made to a mentor who sort of put my train back on the rails in the 70's. What can i say, it was a confusing time.
I think there are a lot of people that have figured out how the speakers work by now, some have built their own so there isn't much to hide anyway.
I hope things are picking up over there, take care!
Best
Tom

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I forgot I posted this in the video 3 months ago. Wishes do come true! :D

A7D0311C-A032-454A-ADF9-947BD8980375.jpeg

MHZ2120BH

Everything I've heard from Danley has been fantastic. Like, "whoa". Maybe one day we can have another DIY build from Mr. Danley. I would rather pay for the design and engineering and provide the labor and finish. Anyway - standing by for more info on the Hyperions!

Kravi4ka

Oh, that would be amazing, something like Sigffried Linkwitz(RIP) did - sell the actual intellectual property with the plans, I built both the Pluto and the LXmini and those are one of the best speakers I have had among more than 30 pairs built.

D

Deleted member 12642

Everything I've heard from Danley has been fantastic. Like, "whoa". Maybe one day we can have another DIY build from Mr. Danley. I would rather pay for the design and engineering and provide the labor and finish. Anyway - standing by for more info on the Hyperions!

I've gotten to hear some danley rigs a few times, and while the tops are nice I'm always underwhelmed by the tapped horns. So far I've heard the TH118 and 115, with the 118's being something I actually got to mix on. Wasn't remotely impressed. My criticisms lined up with the problems I had with my own tapped horns. Lots of low end behind the cabinet, too early of a roll off.

Dichotome

@Tom Danley: Tom, if you are not already planning on it, I would strongly recommend demoing the Hyperion at the Munich show next May. I think you would get a lot of attention!

JonathanB

Are there any demos or distributors in Canada?
I've emailed the contacts on the website a couple times but haven't gotten a response yet.

Stu Pidasso

Forum Donor
I've gotten to hear some danley rigs a few times, and while the tops are nice I'm always underwhelmed by the tapped horns. So far I've heard the TH118 and 115, with the 118's being something I actually got to mix on. Wasn't remotely impressed. My criticisms lined up with the problems I had with my own tapped horns. Lots of low end behind the cabinet, too early of a roll off.

The TH118 and TH115 were specifically designed to be simpler to transport while still providing 140db output at 39hz - which is downright impressive for such a small box. If you want to go lower you need look no further than right here, however. Remember, to go super low with lots of output be prepared to $pend. In an installation I did, I replaced two JBL dual 18" front loaded cabs with a single Th118 and the difference was sick. Painful - but not in the ears, more in the chest. In another installation I found that a single TH412 outperformed FOUR front loaded JBL 18" cabs - and did it with ease both in output and frequency response. I think this has something to do with the single point output of from the TH412 vs the two dual 18" boxes stacked on either side of the stage some distance from one another (obviously, some cancellation.)

A friend of mine who liked to play music - specifically loved low frequency - put a TH221 on his boat which was super awesome to experience. He bought another one for his jam room. It was super cool there because the room was large enough to really experience the low rumble. I think he paid something like $11.5k for the passive one and $15k for the powered one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom