• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upcoming Tom Danley Hifi speakers

Tom Danley

Technical Expert
Audio Company
It's a novel theory but I have to say that it doesn't seem to matter the speaker I listen to; after a while ear fatigue sets in. Even with very wide radiation patterns as well as more narrow radiation patterns. The thing this speaker clearly does differently is high output with no (or very little) distortion. I'm of the mindset that it has something to do with distortion and/or compression ... Geddes - I believe - mentioned that group delay is a culprit. Though, I'd need to double check my "interview" with him to verify his stance on this.
It's a novel theory but I have to say that it doesn't seem to matter the speaker I listen to; after a while ear fatigue sets in. Even with very wide radiation patterns as well as more narrow radiation patterns. The thing this speaker clearly does differently is high output with no (or very little) distortion. I'm of the mindset that it has something to do with distortion and/or compression ... Geddes - I believe - mentioned that group delay is a possible culprit. Though, I'd need to double check my "interview" with him to verify his stance on this.
Hi Erin

That distortion / compression issue maybe true but I have nothing to compare to.

My hunch with the Synergy horn was partly based on having developed Servomotor driven subwoofers in the 80's in Live sound (including the folks on your Tee shirt).

People were often resistant to the idea of needing low bass, in fact the president of a very large speaker company told me there was no need for anything below 75Hz.

The reason was because if you asked 9 out of 10 sound people, adding low bass stuff in a sound system "muddied up the mid range and mid bass".

How can you argue with something you can observe? It really did that....because the bass speakers were grossly distorted producing any VLF and all those harmonics fell in the mid bass and mid range range.

IF you have low distortion bass, it was separate from the mid bass and mid range.

So here i was thinking ok, exploit the acoustic low pass filters, shoot for the lowest harmonic distortion where ears would be most sensitive to harmonics and those fell where the ears greatest sensitivity would be (in an equal loudness curve). This is the job of the mid range drivers and woofers. Anyway, it will be interesting to see what you get, man you really need two.

Best,

Tom

Stu Pidasso

Forum Donor
@Tom Danley so the Hyperion low frequency section is not a tapped horn - were there any challenges with cabinet vibration? Doubtful you built that enclosure in any way flimsy - heh - I admit I have uttered a few invectives your way Tom, a few times actually - usually while loading your boxes after a show - I had a TH412 drop a couple inches onto my finger and crush it. My wife calls it my Danley finger to this day. Danley Finger.jpg

Stu Pidasso

Forum Donor
Do you mind if I use a few of those for my review (when/if I wind up publishing it)?

Yeah sure, you have to pay shipping to and from your review.
(edit) Ah I'm dumb. You meant the photos. Sure man, anything you need.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They make fairly good computer speakers too…

I do need to make time to go back and ‘fix’ those visible t-nuts sometime.

Ha! That's even more ridiculous than my JTR setup in my office. I know it actually works well, though. The narrow dispersion keeps the image from blurring terribly when the walls are super close to the speaker edges like that.

Dichotome

@Tom Danley: can you tell us a bit about the drivers in the Synergy horn part of the Hyperion. Some people were put off using the SH50s for domestic use because of the perception that its drivers were chosen for high SPL capability rather than high fidelity. How good are the drivers in the Hyperion?

Dichotome

@kyle_neuron: Hi Kyle, this is Ian from over the Pennines ;) - by coincidence I sent you an email today about the Hyperions. Those SH50s look pretty good. I should come over some time and have another listen.

kyle_neuron

Just imagine you feed them with 1Kw rms each.
No..nono....nonono..nono :)

Dont think that tom had this picture in his mind while developing them? :)

That Apex Audio CloudPower amp does 4 channels of 3000 watts with a 32-bit ADC and 64-bit internal DSP capable of 1024 taps of FIR. It was very nice, I might add!

I love this - did you apply a layer of laminate over the horn to get that effect? You had to remove the drivers certainly. My speakers are far more plebian in appearance. Here's a link to photos of disassembly of my powered and unpowered pairs of SH-50's. I'd love to modify my passive set for better WAF. You're using the pair of inverted TH-115's for your low end, too bad you're not with a DTS-10 for super low extension. I'm sitting mine on a pair of ContraBass. I'm looking to build a DTS-10 from kit, I just have to see if I can talk Danley into selling me a kit.

The subs are actually a prototype 20 Hz tuned reflex cabinet, each with dual Volt RV3863. This system was pretty much put together on a whim by myself when I had a lot of CAD work to get through, but it's still there over a year later which certainly says something.

The SH50 cabinets are a prototype too, of sorts. It is a laminate, but the horn behind it wasn't the same as the normal ones you'd buy to allow for the custom finishing work. We've worked with Danley for a fair few years and they've been kind enough to 'bend the rules' a little for some of our ideas for custom units or finishes.

A couple of examples are these bare wooden and neon blue SH46 for a client, with invisible staples instead of screws. These ended up having a lovely Danish oil finish, which sadly I don't have good photos of . Plus what I believe to be the only hot pink Synergy Horns in existence, which are installed in a very pink live music venue.

@kyle_neuron: Hi Kyle, this is Ian from over the Pennines ;) - by coincidence I sent you an email today about the Hyperions. Those SH50s look pretty good. I should come over some time and have another listen.

Good to see you here Ian, and hear from you! I had a feeling you'd be keeping your eye out for Danley home kit :) I'm actually goofing off from my master's thesis here, so I'm not actually in the office or Manchester right now. I'll drop you a reply sometime this week if that's ok? I think we're a little ways off being able to demo in the UK yet, but I'm sure we can plan some fun soon enough.

Back on topic, knowing the work that's gone into the Hyperion is one thing, but I'm more interested in the metronome looking fella on the left. Especially having heard some of the heritage.

Attachments

• Clipboard Image (1).jpg
    Clipboard Image (1).jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 281
  • Clipboard Image (2).jpg
    Clipboard Image (2).jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 306
  • Clipboard Image.jpg
    Clipboard Image.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_0196.JPG
    IMG_0196.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 290

tomtoo

Major Contributor
That Apex Audio CloudPower amp does 4 channels of 3000 watts with a 32-bit ADC and 64-bit internal DSP capable of 1024 taps of FIR. It was very nice, I might add!

Its ok. 4*Volt RV3863 as subs for pc speakers says a lot. ;)

Edit says: Jo toys for the big boys. btw, pink is ok but that bathroom blue is..sry my english is not good enough to find the right word. ;)

Last edited:

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Anyway, it will be interesting to see what you get, man you really need two.

I'll be happy to rent a U-Haul and come pick up any speakers you'd like me to test out. I'd also be happy to bring home the Hyperion speakers.

By the way, if I do pick up those speakers, you may never hear from me again. I may leave the country... one that doesn't extradite to the US. :D :D :D ;)

On a serious note, I'll be in touch when I start the measurement process for the SH-50. I expect I'll probably have a bit of a learning curve given the atypical design and how I'll need to set it up in the Klippel software so it may be a while.

OP
TimVG

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On a serious note, I'll be in touch when I start the measurement process for the SH-50. I expect I'll probably have a bit of a learning curve given the atypical design and how I'll need to set it up in the Klippel software so it may be a while.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but seeing as it behaves as a perfect point source it would be fairly easy for the NFS to measure as there are no multiple expansion points.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Perhaps I'm wrong, but seeing as it behaves as a perfect point source it would be fairly easy for the NFS to measure as there are no multiple expansion points.

I'm talking about where I set the acoustic origin, physically. I want to make sure the system doesn't run in to the speaker. Should be no problem at all. But I'm gonna hang around while the measurement runs just to make sure everything is OK. ;)

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Where would you aim the microphone, though? Inside the horn? I would imagine he would have to position it at the midpoint of the mouth just outside the enclosure.

It would be interesting to figure out how get the system to do field separation measurements inside the horn.

Top Bottom