• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Unofficial Review - Sonos Roam

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I have to check if there is a new firmware update or not. Right now, the home theater setups can use dual subs but the Fives cannot. That’s a weakness of the Five.

In stereo mode, you can run them vertically (where the side firing tweeters are disabled) or horizontally (where the side firing tweeters are present).

The Five’s don’t go low enough for the sub to work great solo, so I really wish they would allow dual subs.

The other issue is that if you have high res music in your local network music library, the Sonos cannot play it and more importantly, it can see the file and try to play it which causes an error. It would be better to hide the incompatible files or do real time downsampling.
Interesting. I wouldn't necessarily be interested in the home theatre so if it were possible to just setup the 5s like I have the Moves now, and with a dual sub, that would be great.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
yeah, I joined a Sonos Beta program to give feedback
1) give us dual sub option for regular setups not just home theater
2) filter out incompatible high res audio on local libraries in the search or downsample in real time or even auto-remove incompatible files from playlist and move to the next track without requiring user input

Still, if you want volume and playback controls on the speaker, there are fewer options.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
yeah, I joined a Sonos Beta program to give feedback
1) give us dual sub option for regular setups not just home theater
2) filter out incompatible high res audio on local libraries in the search or downsample in real time or even auto-remove incompatible files from playlist and move to the next track without requiring user input

Still, if you want volume and playback controls on the speaker, there are fewer options.
Do they not have the option for non home theatre dual sub? I have two Moves, an Arc and a Sub 3. I see the option to add another sub. I haven't done it as I don't currently have a second Sub 3 which is sad because on my main system I rock to SVS SB2000 Pro subs so absolutely want dual Sonos subs.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do they not have the option for non home theatre dual sub? I have two Moves, an Arc and a Sub 3. I see the option to add another sub. I haven't done it as I don't currently have a second Sub 3 which is sad because on my main system I rock to SVS SB2000 Pro subs so absolutely want dual Sonos subs.
To clarify. You can playback music with an Arc and two subs. I believe you can also use a Sonos Amp and two subs. You just cannot use dual subs with dual Fives.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
To clarify. You can playback music with an Arc and two subs. I believe you can also use a Sonos Amp and two subs. You just cannot use dual subs with dual Fives.
Really? That would so suck as I would like dual subs and Fives. Makes no sense to me, not that I doubt you.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Really? That would so suck as I would like dual subs and Fives. Makes no sense to me, not that I doubt you.

Yeah, preaching to the choir. They clearly have the software know how to do it.

The other annoying thing is when I play a high res flac and it says that my 88kHz file is incompatible and it stops until I say, ok move to the next track. It knows it’s incompatible yet doesn’t skip it !

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Yeah, preaching to the choir. They clearly have the software know how to do it.

The other annoying thing is when I play a high res flac and it says that my 88kHz file is incompatible and it stops until I say, ok move to the next track. It knows it’s incompatible yet doesn’t skip it !
Have you provided them this feedback? The good thing is that Sonos have the resources and organizational will to improve the user experience. These all sound like very solvable problems.

Top Bottom