• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Could Use Some Help with Yamaha WXC-50

Sloppy Joe

I screwed up, I tried everything, but my Yamaha WXC-50 does no longer communicate with my iPad (both an old one and a brand new iPad) or iPhone. All with the same results.

It started with replacement of my old Synology NAS (wich had all my music on it). At first it did not show up on the WXC-50 screen on my iPad. It had worked brilliantly for over the last three years with the old NAS. It turned out I had to install the Media Player on my new Synology NAS and it work for a few days – as before. I have the WXC-50 connected with a coax cable to my RME ADI-2 DAC. The analog outputs of the DAC goes to two avtive studio monitors.

So I am using the WXC-50 just as a streamer, with most inputs connected.

Then all of a sudden, the WXC-50 stopt communicating with my iPad, just the purple wavy screeni with a turning thingy looking for a Yamaha MusicCast device.

Same with a newer iPad and my iPhone.

The screen on the bottom showes at one point two bars “Set up” and above that “Demo”.

Demo does absolutely nothing and SepUp lets you choose a device. Once I put in “WXC-50” it tells you to push a button for 5 seconds and the next screen tells you to find (wirelessly) a “MusicCastSetUp”in your wifi settings. It shows up indeed, but it does not let you doe anything with it. According to Set Up from Yamaha one should be able to put in a password (12345678).

But no indication whatsoever on the Wifi side of things. So a complete dead end!

More things I tried:

1. Accessing the WXC-50 through my network (ethernet) with “Web Control Center”. That does show up on my PC, but I can't do anything with it regarding the communication with my iPad.
  2. Resetting the WXC-50 to the factory setting, no results.
  3. Re-installed the App, no results.

In the mean time (I have to listen to music) I bought a WiiM Pro Plus. It all works fine with the new Synology NAS, so the problem is defenitely not with the NAS. It is a nice cheap replacement for the WCX-50, but it does not have the same connectivity.

Does anyone of you had this problem, or anyone come up with something I did not try?

Thanks in advance!

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
There are two ways to access a NAS: file mounting via SMB, 2 access via UNPNP / DLNA.

You might find the new NAS is more up-to-date from a security point of view and you may need to change the access policies and add devices.

OP
Sloppy Joe

Sloppy Joe

There are two ways to access a NAS: file mounting via SMB, 2 access via UNPNP / DLNA.

You might find the new NAS is more up-to-date from a security point of view and you may need to change the access policies and add devices.
I would like to do that, but first of all, the main problem is, that I cannot reach the WXC-50 with the app.
So far the WiiM Pro Plus plays fine off the server. Again the NAS is not the problem.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Looks like you are stuck in the phase of adding the WiFi password into the WCX.

I've seen this quite a lot, with this "temporary AP" approach. The WCX temporarily becomes a WiFi Access Point, you connect to it with a phone that knows your WiFi password and passes it to the WCX or (better) hosts and offers you a "web site" to enter your password into. It then reboots and logs into you normal home WiFi hub with the WiFi password it now knows.

One solution is to try a different browser (the WCX may be using "incorrect" HTML structures relative to modern browsers). Since you are using Apple devices, you are stuck with WebKit. Do you have Windows/Linux laptop you can try?

Once the WCX has learned the password and relogged in, the apps should see it

OP
Sloppy Joe

Sloppy Joe

Thanks MaxwellsEq,
I tried with a laptop with W10.
Unfortunately again the "MusicCastSetUp" wifi shows up, but no further steps to put in the so called password 12345678.
I have a friend who has Ubuntu on his PC, so I will have to try that later this week.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Thanks MaxwellsEq,
I tried with a laptop with W10.
Unfortunately again the "MusicCastSetUp" wifi shows up, but no further steps to put in the so called password 12345678.
I have a friend who has Ubuntu on his PC, so I will have to try that later this week.
That's frustrating! Is there any other way to enter your WiFi password into the WCX? Does it allow an Ethernet wired connection that you can use to set it up?

OP
Sloppy Joe

Sloppy Joe

That's frustrating! Is there any other way to enter your WiFi password into the WCX? Does it allow an Ethernet wired connection that you can use to set it up?
yes it is frustrating! I tried hardwire Ethernet too with the laptop, nothing.
In the original post I forgot to mention, that I also did a Firmware update, Version 2.86. Didn't help either.
I also sent a message to Yamaha Support, but haven't heard back from them, yet.

BitPerfect_

More things I tried:

1. Accessing the WXC-50 through my network (ethernet) with “Web Control Center”. That does show up on my PC, but I can't do anything with it regarding the communication with my iPad.

Did you changed the IP address in WXC-50 Web Control Center?
Wire the unit with network cable to your laptop / PC to do this operation > Access the WXC-50 Web Control Center.

Try to look in your router interface first to see what address allocate to your other devices (eg. phone) via wifi and, use the same type of internal address to your WXC-50 changing the last number. For example if your phone is using 192.168.1.8, for WXC-50 use 192.168.1.9 or whatever, just be sure that is not allocated to another device.

In the WXC Web CC > Settings 1 > Network > Network connection select: set to "Wired LAN" > DHCP: "OFF" > IP Address as I've mentioned above and then the rest of the settings according to your router > Save.

Unplug the unit and router from the power socket for 10 seconds, restart all the devices connected to the router incl. the router.
Then, access the Web Control Center again using the new address in your web browser on PC, just to make sure the address is saved and try to access the unit via MusicCast App.
Let me know if you are able to pass through these steps.

Last edited:
OP
Sloppy Joe

Sloppy Joe

Wire the unit with network cable to your laptop / PC to do this operation > Access the WXC-50 Web Control Center.

Try to look in your router interface first to see what address allocate to your other devices (eg. phone) via wifi and, use the same type of internal address to your WXC-50 changing the last number. For example if your phone is using 192.168.1.8, for WXC-50 use 192.168.1.9 or whatever, just be sure that is not allocated to another device.

In the WXC Web CC > Settings 1 > Network > Network connection select: set to "Wired LAN" > DHCP: "OFF" > IP Address as I've mentioned above and then the rest of the settings according to your router > Save.

Unplug the unit and router from the power socket for 10 seconds, restart all the devices connected to the router incl. the router.
Then, access the Web Control Center again using the new address in your web browser on PC, just to make sure the address is saved and try to access the unit via MusicCast App.

thank you so much for these suggestions. For now I cannot perform the above, because last Friday I sent the unit to a local repair shop. I used them a couple of times, they did a fantastic job on my old Tascam DAT recorder. Hopefully they'll succeed again.
Thanks again, also thanks to MaxwellsEq, the Ubuntu fix did not do it either.
Cheers!

BitPerfect_

No prob. Imho it’s not a hardware issue but config procedure. Been there :)
All the best,

BenjaminB

thank you so much for these suggestions. For now I cannot perform the above, because last Friday I sent the unit to a local repair shop. I used them a couple of times, they did a fantastic job on my old Tascam DAT recorder. Hopefully they'll succeed again.
Thanks again, also thanks to MaxwellsEq, the Ubuntu fix did not do it either.
Cheers!

Hi Joe,

sorry I did not see this before. I have had similar problems with WXC-50 some few times. Most ofte due to me doing something with my LAN, which sometimes have consequences. If your WXC-50 doesn't show up on your iPAD then
- remove the power cable from the WXC, wait some seconds (~30) and replace.
- restart the WXC and start the Musiccast app on your iPAD. And wait. most often the WXC appears on the app again, or ... the app search and searc and finally finds the WXC on another LAN, just saying that (this has happened me). In this case the LAN tables are incorrect for some reason.
- worst case, try to re-register the WXC - follow the manual.

Is your WXC connected to the LAN with WiFi or ethernet cable? Try to use the other one .... WXC uses WiFi on 2.4 GHz band which sometimes is very crowded, which can have many interesting consequences. Generally, it is more safe to use ethernet cable; if there is no problem with WiFi then that works fine.

BenjaminB

tread carefully with using static address on WXC-50, that has caused me many problems. I do reccomend using dynamic allocation (ie DHCP ON).
While on this, I recommend using an app mapping the LAN. On Android I use an app named "Net Analyzer" (probably also available on for Apple pad/phones).

Using Net Analyzer yoou should be able to get the ip address for the WXC on your LAN, then you use that ip address to enter WXC web interface - just type in the ip address in the browser address field.

It may work connecting the WXC directly to a pc, but later on it has to be connected to a router anyhow.

BitPerfect_

Good to know thanks for sharing. For me it was the other way, problems with DHCP On, it works smooth using defined IP and wired at ethernet.
It may work connecting the WXC directly to a pc, but later on it has to be connected to a router anyhow.

Of course, you're right.

Top Bottom