• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEM Review

Rate this IEM

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 21 3.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 73 12.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 495 82.2%

• Total voters

lordhumungous

For those who have heard the Moondrop S8"s , i'd be interested on their comparison to the Truthear in terms of clarity .

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For those who have heard the Moondrop S8"s , i'd be interested on their comparison to the Truthear in terms of clarity .
I haven't, but the measurements suggest the Truthear Zeros will have more "clarity" (less at 200 Hz and more beyond 4 kHz).

graph.png

However, the S8 will sound a little less edgy.

oleg87

My question to the group is: in light of my some how limited experience with IEM in general, particularly with the “high end” IEM, is it always like that for all of them? Very finicky to get them to sit to sound right? Or are the Zero particularly sensible to how they are positioned in the ears?
I don't think they're more or less sensitive to positioning than any other IEMs, they all need a good seal but I think your individual ears are a major factor here. Using these is pretty effortless for me with the right tips, especially since the wires hook behind your ears and stabilize the IEMs.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't, but the measurements suggest the Truthear Zeros will have more "clarity" (less at 200 Hz and more beyond 4 kHz).

View attachment 237202

However, the S8 will sound a little less edgy.

@lordhumungous I do have both and have just done a quick comparison. There sure is no night and day difference and certainly not anything that merits the price difference (no surprise there).

The S8 is far more pleasant to wear (same tips on both btw) - that shell shape fits my ear perfectly.

Take any comparison of sound with a huge pinch of salt given I couldnt level match EDIT- nor of course can you quickly A/B (they arent that far apart in terms of how loud they get for any given position on my amp). The Zero has a bit more punch to the bass (the kick drum feels more solid) but the overall sound is a tad more boom-tizz than the S8. After EQ- forget it,all bets are off. If the S8 was $100 I might be tempted to get the S8 over the Zero if I were starting afresh as it is nicer to wear. But at $600 for the S8 and if you only want one IEM- the Zero is a no brainer. Lose no sleep over any sonic differences.

Last edited:

holicst

I just received these. After a quick listen (10 minute) using a 9038D, I am very impressed. I'll have to have a very focused listening session so I can find the $950 difference between this and my Monarch MkII... Fit is fine for me.

Georgeadv

What I fail to understand is why people bash these.

Frequency response illustrates that they adhere to the harman target.

How would another, more expensive, IEM harman tuned sound better?

If you dont like the harman target thats another story

Alexium

Do all headphones with reasonably "flat" (Harman) frequency response sound the same? I would think not, there's still difference in the swings in the upper-mid and high frequencies, difference in the distortion level and profile.

delta76

Major Contributor
Ordered this IEM last month but then cancelled because of long delivery time. now it's available again for Prime delivery.
Anyone regretted their purchase? if yes, which one would you have ordered?

Georgeadv

Do all headphones with reasonably "flat" (Harman) frequency response sound the same? I would think not, there's still difference in the swings in the upper-mid and high frequencies, difference in the distortion level and profile.
What if you equalise distortion or play less loud?

Alexium

What if you equalise distortion or play less loud?
I don't know. Two ideal transducers should of course sound the same, but are modern IEMs / headphones ideal enough?
With speakers there is the matter of off-axis response which makes them more different, with headphones you might indeed be right.

Georgeadv

I don't know. Two ideal transducers should of course sound the same, but are modern IEMs / headphones ideal enough?
With speakers there is the matter of off-axis response which makes them more different, with headphones you might indeed be right.
I agree.
i believe that these comments bashing this iem are purely subjective on the sound each reviewers prefers and not their technical performance.

Also i dont believe a 1000€ iem with harman target at medium listening volumes sounds much better than this

Phantomuser

Forum Donor
I know, I just ordered a second pair ...just in case I lose these ...they are too good!

Georgeadv

@amirm Would be so kind to comment on the below statement?

“What I fail to understand is why people bash these.

If you dont like the harman target thats another story”

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm Would be so kind to comment on the below statement?

“What I fail to understand is why people bash these.

If you dont like the harman target thats another story”
Suspect that isnt high on his list of priorities. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...d-participation-for-the-next-few-weeks.38323/

Plus he has offered his view on these IEMs in post 1. Not sure his job is to advocate for or defend any product from bashings

Georgeadv

You can't equalise distortion, only frequency response. And if a listening test isn't volume matched then it's not a real comparison.
I meant theoretically, if they had the same distortion. Say if the distortion and other variables were out of the equation

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I meant theoretically, if they had the same distortion. Say if the distortion and other variables were out of the equation
If distortion is the same, fit is the same, driver angle and position is the same, sensitivity and impedance is the same, and then frequency response is the same, or more or less the same, well then, they will sound more or less the same. ;) You can try, with your favorite headphones, applying small changes to FR using EQ. With pink noise it's also a nice exercise, as no all music responds the same to EQ changes, because of course each track has a different amount of energy by frequency, so some EQ profiles make no difference in certain tracks and make a lot of difference in others.

Edit: Add group delay if you want to the previous list...

Top Bottom