• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEM Review

Rate this IEM

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 21 3.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 73 12.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 495 82.2%

• Total voters

DanielT

Major Contributor
e1JJvvS-768x510.jpg

That is what crinacle is using.
Aha, I suspected that the measurement takes place in that way, but FR in regard to:

"Ear canal volume
Fowler & Shanks [1] define ear canal volume as “an estimate of the volume of air medial to the probe, which includes the volume between the probe tip and the tympanic membrane if the tympanic membrane is intact, or the volume of the ear canal and the middle ear space if the tympanic membrane is perforated.”

On average, children from 3-5 years of age have an ear canal volume of 0.4-1.0 cc, while the range is 0.6-1.5 cc for adults."

That, the picture, looks as if you took the speaker driver out of the speaker box and measured FR. Yes, I know extreme comparison that certainly cannot be made directly, BUT the ear canal must have a certain, or large, impact. Or?:)

Loudspeaker, volume:

SeriousSam70

About the low sensitivity measured by @amirm, I'm a bit confused because on Shenzhen Audio site, the sensitivity of Thruthear x Crinacle Zero is stated as: 117.5dB/Vrms (@1KHz). It doesn't seem that low at all.

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
A rather simple question from a non-headphone guy like me,.. though I couldn't resist ordering these (maybe there will be more headphone listening now). :)

How has Amir measured FR on these?
I know, very basic question. But still I'm curious:)
I think it is a GRAS ear simulator.

Post in thread 'I know harman research is based on KEMAR, but which pinna?'
https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/i-know-harman-research-is-based-on-kemar-but-which-pinna?.36240/post-1270731

Edit. Here you can see crinacle’s GRAS

Last edited:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Aren't they reproducing a recording rather than reproducing reality? What if the recording doesn't sound like a real Steinway? #circleofconfusion
Put your mind at ease: all you have is the source, good, bad or whatever. If the devices accomplish their task well, you will have whatever is in the source. You don't like the result? Apply EQ. Still not like the sound? Change the source.

We are talking about earphones, luckily you don't have to deal with the damn room.

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
I think it is a GRAS ear simulator.

Post in thread 'I know harman research is based on KEMAR, but which pinna?'
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...-on-kemar-but-which-pinna?.36240/post-1270731
Exactly, some type of standard variant of ear probably even then standard ear canal ?

On the other hand, what else should you do? There are very few on this earth who have measured their own volume on their ear canal and based on that bought headphones that fit. Even less likely, therefore, that headphone manufacturers would label their headphones like this: Model X is a fit for ..S, ..or M, L or XL ear canal.:)

HiFi sound, we are probably not as sensitive to how it differs compared to, for example, buying too small or big pants.;)

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Exactly, some type of standard variant of ear probably even then standard ear canal ?

On the other hand, what else should you do? There are very few on this earth who have measured their own volume on their ear canal and based on that bought headphones that fit. Even less likely, therefore, that headphone manufacturers would label their headphones like this: Model X is a fit for ..S, ..or M, L or XL ear canal.:)

HiFi sound, we are probably not as sensitive to how it differs compared to, for example, buying too small or big pants.;)
See my edit and the added link to crinacles measuring setup and explanations.

RJO

All,

I see there's a lot of impulse buying going on, and it may be well-deserved. But let's not ignore the fact that these lack sub-bass due to using cheaper parts. I might try them out of curiosity but I'm not sure if they will be better than my FH3.
All,

I see there's a lot of impulse buying going on, and it may be well-deserved. But let's not ignore the fact that these lack sub-bass due to using cheaper parts. I might try them out of curiosity but I'm not sure if they will be better than my FH3.
This!

I've had the Zero for over a month now and let me just say that it doesn't hold a candle to my Fiio FD7.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
About the low sensitivity measured by @amirm, I'm a bit confused because on Shenzhen Audio site, the sensitivity of Thruthear x Crinacle Zero is stated as: 117.5dB/Vrms (@1KHz). It doesn't seem that low at all.
Amir doesn’t state what frequency (or average).

Using 74 mVrms for 94dB, that means 7.4 Vrms for 114dB, so yes, less sensitive than 1 Vrms for 117.5dB.
Then you also have to discuss if there is any weighting.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is the cable microphonic at all, is the cable stiff and kinky or soft and pliable, like silicon cable or plasticky? What is the length?

Garrincha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No idea, it's from his twitter:

I can only assume about another IEM he is involved with. Judging by the response maybe a refined or perhaps 3-driver version of the IEM discussed in this thread? I will also assume this one would be more expensive, so there may still be a reason to buy the one reviewed in this thread if someone was still after Harman. Maybe Red will be lower price competitor to Variations? Either way, convenient marketing/hype?
Looks promising. (Un)fortunately I have a lot of IEMs already that are close to Harman or have at least a pleasant tuning and then there is EQ, so I will pass on this one, but the "Project Red" one seems very nice, a cheaper Variations is much welcomed, as I think the package for $520 (cheap cable etc.) is not worth it, that would be really interesting and another reason to wait.

Nango

Major Contributor
This is the very very last IEM I purchase without testing after sooooo many many blind hype purchases starting with Meeaudio's P1 years ago ........

RJO

Oh dear, oh dear - who to believe? :facepalm: o_O

@amirm, or the guy who wrote the three-star review on Amazon reviewer with these comments:

or the guy who gave them two stars and said this:
Those pretty much sums up my impressions of the Zero. It's like comparing a very good cheap bookshelf speaker to a hi-end one where it doesn't match the sound depth, resolution and detail in the mids and upper registers...I mean it's not bad as I was truly impressed when I first listened to it. But when I wore back my FD7 it was just not in the same league. The instruments sounded more true and natural; suffice to say, Vladimir Ashkenazy wanted his piano to be heard using an FD7 :)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
All,

The bass looks pretty good on them to be honest, you could EQ up 20Hz by 5dB with a peak filter, but apart from that they're matching Harman.

Garrincha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Those pretty much sums up my impressions of the Zero. It's like comparing a very good cheap bookshelf speaker to a hi-end one where it doesn't match the sound depth, resolution and detail in the mids and upper registers...I mean it's not bad as I was truly impressed when I first listened to it. But when I wore back my FD7 it was just not in the same league. The instruments sounded more true and natural; suffice to say, Vladimir Ashkenazy wanted his piano to be heard using an FD7 :)
Seriously? You mean because of the Beryllium and the price or because the FD7 is much more off from Harman? I seriously doubt that the FD7 sounds in any objective way better.

Zim

Forum Donor
??? I don't think there is a variation with tips. Anyway, i used the medium sized one.
I’ve got the Zero and there’s a difference in the inner diameter of the ear tip sets of the two sets. Not sure if you can see clearly in the photo but the bottom set of ear tips have the larger inner diameter
??? I don't think there is a variation with tips. Anyway, i used the medium sized one.
my set of Zero’s came with two sets of silicone ear tips with different inner diameters. I’ve attached a photo to show the difference. Unsure if yours did. I noticed a sound difference between them.

Attachments

• A31CBB2F-14F5-4104-95E8-504B55BC82A8.jpeg
    A31CBB2F-14F5-4104-95E8-504B55BC82A8.jpeg
    529.3 KB · Views: 71

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Sure everyone is entitled to their opinion.
I usually don’t know what to do with another person’s opinions or preferences, as these most certainly differ from mine and vice versa.

That’s why Harman conducted controlled, unsighted ABX tests to determine what the average listener of a large test group prefers. Of course, as there is also some standard deviation from the average, it might very well be, that some individual people have different preferences than average. So what, EQ is your friend.

Edit. Typo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom