• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Trinnov Altitude 16 Review (AV Processor)

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I recently started communication with Danville Signal for their DSP processor dspNexus 2/8 and further products in this dspNexus series;
https://danvillesignal.com/dspnexus-dsp-audio-processor

They kindly informed me that they will release dspNexus 2/16 by the end of this year.

the information provided on the website is atrocious, nothing about price or availability, nothing about how many PEQs are allowed per input/output, nothing about how many taps are possible via FIR (if FIR is supported).

is their system automated or hands-on?

I feel like i wasted my time going through that.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I really am starting to feel like the focus on SINAD has caused some to lose the plot. Fact of the matter is that 100dB SINAD is the "doesnt really matter anymore" point. In most domestic environments on speakers, it probably comes far sooner than 100dB purely due to noise floor.

Surround processors are all about the features, and Trinnov has the best-of-the-best room correction. Nobody else I'm aware of has anything like their Optimizer/visualization setup. Let alone the 2D/3D remapping stuff that lets you change the apparent location of speakers. I don't think I could ever spend quite that much on a processor, but I understand why people buy these.

And I also really think we've reached the point where features are more important than performance in most DACs. If you gave me a choice between a $500 DAC with 120dB SINAD, and one with 100dB SINAD+a good headphone amp+Dirac, I would consider the first unbuyable and the second an unprecedented bargain.
At this price point though, most installs will go into a dedicated theater room and many would have a very low noise floor. Also, some do listen at reference level as well. So I can understand some wanting an even better than a Sinad of 100. I don’t know if it would ever matter, but it could. And at this price point, it’s ok to expect even more I think. But the stars of the show are the room optimizer, support, and upgrade ability.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
An interesting vid about Capitol Studios. They've been using their Studio C a lot as an Atmos room for remixing music. There's definitely interest in the industry. They've got a deal with Universal and Dolby.
Awesome, the Atmos part is music to my ears. Thanks so much for posting that MG..

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the information provided on the website is atrocious, nothing about price or availability, nothing about how many PEQs are allowed per input/output, nothing about how many taps are possible via FIR (if FIR is supported).
is their system automated or hands-on?
I feel like i wasted my time going through that.
I felt the same when I first visited their website, and this was the reason I started "communication" with them through e-mail.
If you would be really interested, you have communication page and their e-mail address here;
https://danvillesignal.com/talk-to-us

All limited to 2 input channels, apparently.
Yes, I agree, and for people including myself mainly interested in audio-dedicated HiFi stereo multichannel multi-driver multi-amplifier system, dspNexus 2/16 looks attractive.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Yes, I agree, and for people including myself mainly interested in audio-dedicated HiFi stereo multichannel multi-driver multi-amplifier system, dspNexus 2/16 looks attractive.
Yup. I've followed them over the years hoping for some move towards MCH but, so far, no go.

Matthew J Poes

Technical Expert
Reviewer
I doubt it. It was always going to come to this. I said it a long time ago. Hopefully, they will offer some kind of trade in program. They can, the processor itself can not be that expensive to make.
It is but it’s of their own doing. It’s a computer with a custom made power supply which is somewhat expensive and all custom video and analog boards. Those are very expensive to make. It’s made in small numbers by hand with expensive labor. If they were willing to switch to a more integrated computer platform from a company like Qualcomm and let it be made in China, then sure it could probably be sold for half that price. But as it stands, it’s fairly expensive.

As I understand you don’t need to trade it in. It’s modular so all the parts can be updated. Much like the Theta processor. They also claim it’s affordable to update it but who knows what that really means.

Matthew J Poes

Technical Expert
Reviewer
Listened to Trinnov and StormAudio in the same room with 8 subwoofers, bass was great on both, neither was better. But the bass control of M17V2 and HTP-1 is worse, more imprecise than Storm and Trinnov.
Neither the NAD or Monolith are as robust as either of those. I hate to say it because the HTP-1 measures well and has an attractive feature set for a good price. But if ultimate flexibility in the setup is what you are after, it’s a lot more limited. Many won’t care or need that flexibility. I do weird things to stereos.

but like I mentioned before, in the situations where people buy these, the price is inconsequential. It’s like asking why anyone would buy a Bugatti when they could just get a Corvette. Close enough right? But people who buy Bugatti’s aren’t going to buy a corvette. It might be about build quality, performance, features, or prestige. But in any case, that isn’t their consideration. At least the Trinnov really does have a performance advantage.

Mountain Goat

Forum Donor
It is but it’s of their own doing. It’s a computer with a custom made power supply which is somewhat expensive and all custom video and analog boards. Those are very expensive to make. It’s made in small numbers by hand with expensive labor. If they were willing to switch to a more integrated computer platform from a company like Qualcomm and let it be made in China, then sure it could probably be sold for half that price. But as it stands, it’s fairly expensive.

As I understand you don’t need to trade it in. It’s modular so all the parts can be updated. Much like the Theta processor. They also claim it’s affordable to update it but who knows what that really means.

It's the software that I would imagine as the biggest expense. And licensing all the codecs.

Matthew J Poes

Technical Expert
Reviewer
It's the software that I would imagine as the biggest expense. And licensing all the codecs.
Well yes but everyone is paying for the license and the software is there’s. So they charge what they want for that. I was really just pointing out their hardware is expensive compared to a Japanese processor.

I suppose they sell a lot less processors a may not get as good a deal on the per processor codec price. I used to have a sheet that listed the licensing cost for Atmos at different volume levels but I have no idea what I did with it. I am also sure I am probably not supposed to share. In any case, yes those are expensive.

but to really consider the cost of this. Cut the price in half for dealer markup. That’s typical. Let’s say that gets us to $8500. Then subtract about $500-$1000 (I actually think that is very high) for the codecs. ~$8000 left. I would guess the hardware portion of that $8000 is around $2000. $6000 is probably their software development costs, licensing to themselves, overhead, and profit. The core of this product is the software so hard to say what that is worth. That supports your point most is in the software I suppose. But knowing what I know about the hardware costs of other good processors, most don’t cost anywhere near $2000. I remember a manufacturer once showing me the landing costs of a piece of hardware without the corporate or licensing costs for a $3500 piece of equipment. It was a really high end and well thought of product. Looked and felt fairly luxurious. The landing cost minus all of that other stuff was less than $500. I nearly fell over. Or headphones. OMG. A lot of fairly expensive ANC headphones only cost a tiny fraction of their sale price. Most hardware is really pretty cheap.

complete speculation. I have no special knowledge here. But I know they have robust training system and a somewhat complex distribution model. With most companies I work with, the company either makes the product themselves or has it made by an OEM/ODM. It comes into the US and goes out to warehouses. From their it goes to regional or local reps/dealers. With Trinnov, I got the impression that there are regional reps that work with the dealers and they act as an intermediary. Maybe that is more common than I realize. But the reps would certainly add cost.

Mountain Goat

Forum Donor
I'm amazed that these boutique programmed electronics producers can sell enough to cover everything. This ain't no DAC. There's entire companies devoted to room correction and these guys write their own. And it owns.

It's impressive, but no way am I in the economic demo for this. Although the "It's only $1k a channel for a grail processor. And it's upgradeable." does make a certain demented sense. Nope, I'm happy with what I've got. I'm happy with what I've got. Serenity now.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

mant

Neither the NAD or Monolith are as robust as either of those. I hate to say it because the HTP-1 measures well and has an attractive feature set for a good price. But if ultimate flexibility in the setup is what you are after, it’s a lot more limited. Many won’t care or need that flexibility. I do weird things to stereos.

but like I mentioned before, in the situations where people buy these, the price is inconsequential. It’s like asking why anyone would buy a Bugatti when they could just get a Corvette. Close enough right? But people who buy Bugatti’s aren’t going to buy a corvette. It might be about build quality, performance, features, or prestige. But in any case, that isn’t their consideration. At least the Trinnov really does have a performance advantage.
You can clearly see that Trinnov and Storm have more power reserves than the others, the dynamics and nonchalance with which the two play is simply stunning.

Bulldogger

Conclusions
. We have our answer that high-end AV processors as they exist today do not bring better measured performance in their basic DAC pipeline.
Appreciate any donations using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Not yet. Theta Casablanca V with Xtreme D-3 dacs is using chips with over 2 bit better performance than Trinnov. If there is a chance, it would be the one to test. Trinnov dacs are like 118db SNR ratio to start. Theta D-3, uses PCM1792 which have a SNR of 132db. I think every 6db of increased SNR amounts to a bit more resolved? I doubt it would actually test that well but likely much better than Trinnov.

Bulldogger

Good! They need to match Theta with either ES Saber dacs or TI PCM1792. That would be awesome. Come on, Oppo did it right?

Trdat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
With the Marantz your getting around 8db sinad less with 2.4 volts out compared to the above Trinnov and I reach near maximum volume with my Hypex NC502 at around 2.5- 3 volts, well at least to what my speakers can handle around 120 watts.

Comparing the Marantz Pre Pro as a whole didn't look significantly different. It does get beaten in every section of the measurements but not by $15000 worth. On top of that I can use a computer based DSP which should manage the same DSP performance as the Trinnov.

Am I missing something or are we just happy that it got a passing grade?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Not yet. Theta Casablanca V with Xtreme D-3 dacs is using chips with over 2 bit better performance than Trinnov.
Are they still around? I thought this line was fading out. Is the video subsystem up to date for example?

sondans

Forum Donor
@dualazmak
[QUOTE="dualazmak, post: 805312, member: 13740"
Yes, I agree, and for people including myself mainly interested in audio-dedicated HiFi stereo multichannel multi-driver multi-amplifier system, dspNexus 2/16 looks attractive.[/QUOTE]
@Kal Rubinson

I’m in the market for a multi-channel music streaming device as well as an avp. Based on Kal’s recent review of the exaSound s88 I had considered buying the s88, a Coleman switcher, and perhaps the new Marantz 8805A. The cost of the above equipment would be about ¾ of the cost of the Trinnov Altitude 16. The Trinnov appears to be a one box solution with much better room correction and a track record of high reliability and bug free performance. Other than additional initial cost, do you see any disadvantages of the Trinnov for streaming music?

Kishore

Are they still around? I thought this line was fading out. Is the video subsystem up to date for example?

Yes the CB V is available/upgrades are being offered now. On video 4K is supported but it is video bypass anyways. Latest Dirac versions and Auro3D is a work in progress- but given their meager resources-I am impressed that they continued to slog it out to bring it to current specs - slow but steady

Top Bottom