• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Trinnov Altitude 16 Review (AV Processor)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
There are many wonderfully recorded-mixed Atmos pure audio Blu rays. In the last months I have bought dozens.
There is no comparison with Stereo music in enjoyment, its like comparing black and white movies with todays 4K/HDR.

As far as streaming Atmos content: I haven't tried Apple Atmos mixes, but I am not so happy with Tidal Atmos. I have stopped using it. I would rather upmix the stereo version with Auro3D (Automatic) on the Trinnov.

It might be the DD+, but there is a huge difference with Pure Audio discs.
I completely agree. The native Atmos music files on BD have been excellent.
I haven't had a chance to try the streaming options, they all require some extra hardware or whatever to get. I have gotten a few of the upmixes they use there and I can do as good or better with Auro

Dimifoot

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Senior NEET Engineer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is Optimizer any better than Dirac or Audyssey XT32 if you only need to smooth the bass response?

Bulldogger

"Good news is that Trinnov is among just a couple of companies that has promised new generation of DACs to provide better performance." So do the clients who spent $17k for that "not broken" processor get a complimentary retrofit of those new generation DACs?
I doubt it. It was always going to come to this. I said it a long time ago. Hopefully, they will offer some kind of trade in program. They can, the processor itself can not be that expensive to make.

Bulldogger

So this thing will be the limiting factor by far when paired with Ncore, Purifi or Benchmark amplifiers in both distortion AND noise?

That's horrible. :eek:

Joking aside, I assume it's possible to use this thing as a pure digital processor and just send digital out to a proper high-quality multichannel dac, like the Okto Dac8?
How would this work for 16 channels? Can you use two Okto 8 dacs? Don't think so?

Bulldogger

The existing ones are not cheap; there are more parts involved than the DAC chips itself.
Perhaps. They can't be doing that much with the other parts? Looks at the specs compared to Denon? They were just 18 bit performance from the start. It's an issue for me because Trinnov touts 24/192 processing on it's flagship and 24/96 processing on this model. If you are going to do that, then use state of the art chips at this price point.

TGB

Trinnov announced they will support AES67 this year, this will work on both Altitude16 and Altitude32 (hardware already in place). Altitude32 also support digital output for 16 channels.

Mountain Goat

Forum Donor
There are many wonderfully recorded-mixed Atmos pure audio Blu rays. In the last months I have bought dozens.
There is no comparison with Stereo music in enjoyment, its like comparing black and white movies with todays 4K/HDR.

As far as streaming Atmos content: I haven't tried Apple Atmos mixes, but I am not so happy with Tidal Atmos. I have stopped using it. I would rather upmix the stereo version with Auro3D (Automatic) on the Trinnov.

It might be the DD+, but there is a huge difference with Pure Audio discs.

An interesting vid about Capitol Studios. They've been using their Studio C a lot as an Atmos room for remixing music. There's definitely interest in the industry. They've got a deal with Universal and Dolby.

(The whole vid is good, but I've tagged it at where they start talking about it.)

Olli

Forum Donor
I am just curious about the fan noise of very nice JVC N7. Then I found this page saying "in low lamp mode the fan noise is only 20dB, moving up to 28dB in high lamp mode."

That is a real bummer. I have the N5 - that's my first projector. The noise drove me crazy, and it is one of the quitest projectors available. So investing in good amps and AVPs/DACs all becomes pointless if the SINAD is ultmately driven by projector's fan noise.

So I got rid of my expensive projector lift, cut a hole through the wall and built a Hush Box integrated into the Wall + my bookshelf:

Beamer Wakk.jpg

Beammer wall innen.jpg

Wall beamer innen mark.jpg

Top Bottom