• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TP RA3 Rackmount Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 12 4.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 94 33.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 165 59.4%

• Total voters

Sokel

Master Contributor
Do we know it's input impedance (RCA/XLR) ?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It does NOT! I already explained and have said it in other reviews. The issue is the testing protocol. The amplifier is doing the right thing going into protection once pushed beyond clipping. The problem is that the automated test script that goes through all the load variations is dumb and keeps going even though the amp shuts down during the first test when it is pushed beyond its operational limit.

Are you seriously shouting at me with capitals and bold text? Really, seriously...? Wow.

You are, yet again, making excuses for poor performance with a Topping product.

I know what amplifiers that are built and designed properly can do. They don't shut down when pushed into clipping, they don't overheat and die, and they don't fail/shutdown after one minute into a difficult load.

Last edited:

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Are you seriously shouting at me with capitals and bold text? Really, seriously...? Wow.

I know what amplifiers that are built and designed properly can do. They don't shut down when pushed into clipping, they don't overheat and die, and they don't fail/shutdown after one minute into a difficult load.
Sorry, but isn't this a little bit too harsh? Regarding amplifiers I am a layman compared to you, but I can't see a poor performance in this product when used within its limits. This amplifier has enough clean power (at least with 4 Ohm speakers) to fit my (and others) bill and whoever intends to strap bad designed speakers with low efficiency, low impedance and weird phase shift to this amplifier to listen at 100 dB+ should look elsewhere for a matching amp.

And btw: your thoughts about price performance ratio? This thing is 229 Dollars and perhaps less in a few months or with a special offer....i have to pay more for gasoline in one month to reach my office!

Peace

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i feel people here reckon $229 is like all they have and they're expecting an end game amp.

like what? again i keep saying... emotiva and others up to audiolab make 50w class a/b shitters that seemed to be tuned for the "English ear" (ie. 'gentle performance') and no one seems to think this is 'bad' but when someone from china makes a $229 amp the whole world comes crashing down asking why they didnt do better...

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor

We need you on this forum, even if don't agree with you most of the time. Peace and Love. That's the way.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
We need you on this forum, even if don't agree with you most of the time. Peace and Love. That's the way.

Peace and love to you too, mate :)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
forgive me for laughing but all I can picture is an old couple arguing...

You're right. I totally respect the old guy, but I don't have to agree with him all the time... ;)

Last edited:

PuX

Lol you don't ask much
:)
in a way I am asking for less than Topping is doing now. to compete it does not need to be an integrated amp or have a DAC. it just needs to have reasonable power.

B.A.T.

i feel people here reckon $229 is like all they have and they're expecting an end game amp.

like what? again i keep saying... emotiva and others up to audiolab make 50w class a/b shitters that seemed to be tuned for the "English ear" (ie. 'gentle performance') and no one seems to think this is 'bad' but when someone from china makes a $229 amp the whole world comes crashing down asking why they didnt do better...
I think here is the key, what lots of us are missing. It's an $229 amp, we should be happy about it's performance, for it's price it's exceptional.

badspeakerdesigner

These seem like a good option for my active 3 ways to sit on top of an xli800. I wish there more options with digital volume controls though. Despite my best efforts to dial in amp gains, one stray paw from a cat is enough to knock some of my knobs out of balance and then I've gotta get the measurement mic out again.

gab

I think this product might be a candidate for those LX521 builders/users. Linkwitz specified/used an ATI AT6012 (12 channel 60W) amplifier for his Orion and LX521 designs. One could mount the amplifiers and ASP crossover close by each speaker and eliminate lots of speaker wire and interconnects running all over the room. Six of them (3 amps per side) at $229 = $1374. I am curious about the shut-off spike however especially since the amp output would be connected directly to each individual driver.

Tovarich007

Well, I agree with you concerning the average performance/power/value for money of this amp, which is very good at Sinad indeed (but I don't care about a super measured Sinad, above 100/105 it's largely above the level of auditibility), but this amp has nothing else extraordinary, nothing justiying extatic comments. One can find as competent and more powerful amps at this price level.

But I disagree when you assert that amps don't go into protection when they clip too much. In these cases, in general after a certain time, the protection system lowers the power for a few moments, or in some more basic implementations, the protection will shut down the amp. Of course, the amp doesn't "die" nor explode in bursts and smoke, but protections against overpower and overheat are useful.

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Couple quick things:

- This probably could have been half-rack size and given the power output may have been more appealing that way
- I don't know about you guys but I don't keep my rack (and its cooling fans) near my listening position, I would've liked to see other (software) means of volume control, although maybe that's more an issue for the upstream device (i.e. the future DAC companion)
- Also for rack-mount I'd want locking connectors, i.e. Speakon. It's a pain going in the back of the rack for a loose connector
- I understand Euros live in shoeboxes but for US applications 60WPC is OK for nearfield, rather light for farfield apps, if you're putting it in a rack you're probably not listening nearfield (maybe some hipster apartment music producer)

And as stated this really isn't intended for any commercial use, which is good, because it's not usefully portable (no locking connectors), needs more power and/or channels per rack U, and competes with a zillion dime/dozen used lead sleds, even at an attractive-for-new price point.

Congrats to JohnYang for a neat new product but beyond looks I'm not sure what this is bringing to the table

ocinn

I think here is the key, what lots of us are missing. It's an $229 amp, we should be happy about it's performance, for it's price it's exceptional.
I think the point a lot of us are making is that there are ~140W@8R TPA3255 implementations for less money, and no performance losses that would actually be audible.

For example anyone with the most basic of DIY skills could assemble a 3E PFFB TPA3255 amp, and something like a Meanwell SE-450-48, and have a -104 SINAD @5W, 130/230w capable tiny desktop amplifier, for <$200.

Shame they do not sell pre-built as this would be the de-facto amp recommendation I beleive. But putting it into a box with a SMPS is a trivial 1hr job that I think even my mother could do after watching one soldering tutorial on YouTube.

85DF1FEF-9225-4B08-968F-C5DFE57423D3.jpeg

JRG

As far as I have understood, it is basically an integrated amplifier (since it has a preamp for volume control) with two selectable inputs, one balanced XLR and one RCA.

Well, what can I say, I think it is an impressive amp for $230 with a 105 SINAD that also has a remote control and volume control :cool:. I'll buy it without hesitation... and if there was another more powerful version it would be even more awesome.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Who uses pro audio for a small bar or a restaurant?
Anyone who is a professional! Please check the dictionary for the word professional.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The chassis seems pretty large for the amp, I bet there are lots of empty space inside. But hey, it "looks professional", right?

Top Bottom