• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Toslink switch and TosLink/Coaxial SPDIF converter - Review and measurements

OP
R

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's the RME or the Topping receiving the signal through SPDIF (TosLink or Coaxial, depending the path) and outputing in analog.
The RME is used to measure the analog signal.
It's similar to what @amirm is doing in similar cases.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've run the J-test in full digital.
Everything is perfect, whatever of thise devices you insert.

In digital domain you'll need much more specialized equipment to measure clock differences/jitter. J-Test is only useful once digital is converted to analog, where timing variations can be viewed as FM modulation sidebands.

OP
R

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In digital domain you'll need much more specialized equipment to measure clock differences/jitter. J-Test is only useful once digital is converted to analog, where timing variations can be viewed as FM modulation sidebands.
I know

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Thanks for the test, very interesting. Two comments: these boxes are too cheap to have serious 192 kHz capable TOSLINK receivers. You should try that test again with a least 5 meter optical cable length. Would be astonishing for me if they still work.

And the reason they can do ADAT is because they don't do anything internally. The input signal is just fed identical to the output. Therefore they also don't add serious jitter (no clock, no PLL inside). Using DigiCheck with the UCX II you could also see that the Channel Status does not change when inserted.

Last edited:
OP
R

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for th test, very interesting.
Thanks
You should try that test again with a least 5 meter optical cable length. Would be astonishing for me if they still work.
I don't have one at hand.
My TOSLink cables are 1m long.
Let me try and get one.
Using DigiCheck with the UCX II you could also see that the Channel Status does not change when inserted.
I'll give it a try

quimbo

I bought this Amalink 3 Port Optical Switcher Splitter 3 in 1 Out, with 1 Way Spdif Toslink Optical Splitter/IR Remote Control Optical Switcher Splitter, 3 Port Spdif Toslink Optical Switch at amazon 2 weeks ago, looks the same, different company listed on the top of the device. Works well for my use case, replaced a larger 4x1 SPDIF Digital Audio Switcher

How I currently use it

Port 1 is fed from my computer USB into a Luxury Precision W2 Portable USB DAC/AMP Headphone AMP into a Analog to Digital Audio Converter. Port 2 is fed from the DSD Tech mentioned above which can be connected to any USB-C OTG input such as my phone (for podcasts) and my tablet (for movies). Port 3 is fed from my Cowan PLENUE 2 MK2 DAP

Last edited:

MCH

Major Contributor
serious 192 kHz capable TOSLINK receivers.
Can you recommend any?

And the reason they can do ADAT is because they don't do anything internally. The input signal is just fed identical to the output. Therefore they also don't add serious jitter (no clock, no PLL inside).
And no issues with trample rate changes... perfectly fit for purpose. The problem is to implement some sort of additional functionality like signal sensing.
It would be interesting to test one based on a proper spdif transceiver.

Last edited:

ocinn

I use a toslink switcher and splitter to send PC audio to my headphone DAC/Amp, my MiniDSP and my TC Electronics Mastering Analyzer. Happy to take a couple sinad hit to avoid having to mess around in Windows every time I want to re-route audio.

TNT

"After further look and check with the more Jitter-sensitive (and way cheaper) Topping E30 II Lite, this is not absolutely true.
There are measurable performance degradations."

So if one uses a worse performing DAC, the jitter in the DUT increases? Or did you switch test object on the fly?

I think you have some way yet to go.... my young Padawan...

//

Swtoby

quimbo

I'm curious about what prompted you to replace the Inday switcher, apart from the size difference?
The size and all the cables. None of the 3 devices used on this switch are used for my main listening

BiFrost 2/64 DAC --> Lokius --> LYR 3 --> gjallarhorn --> AV123 ELT525M speakers

DCA Aeon Closed, AKG 240, Sennheiser 250 and 540, a few others

USB Input - Allo UsBridge Streamer, moode front end, NAS with 17 TB and growing of flac

Coaxial Input - Shanling PCD300B Hifi CD Player (I still have about 500 commercial CDs, most will be ripped and given away)

Optical Input - The device in this review

I also have 2 backups of all my music, 1 at home, the other at work

Last edited:

MrOtto

Is it possible to measure delay on the cox-toslink conveter? Problems with lipsync on a TV for example.

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
There is no delay, because the data is not processed. Or more precise: the delay is below one sample aka microseconds. Lip-sync is several milliseconds.

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
Lovely work, thank you.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
I would suggest to call the connector a 'cinch connector' instead of a RCA connector, when dealing with digital signals and maintain 'RCA connector' when analog signals are at play.
The same plug, isn't it? Any suggestion for a correct name in video applications? +

Top Bottom