• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Decent cheap ADC with spdif?

DarthShader

TL;DR - need a decent, low latency ADC to convert from line-in to SPDIF for <$50, available in North America.

I have an RME ADI-2 DAC. I got myself a keyboard synth with analog line out as the only way of getting sound out of it. I'd like to mix it with some VSTs I have, meaning I need to hook it up to my ADI2. The reason why it has to be hooked up to the ADI2 is because I'm using it as my primary audio out, and the low latency ASIO audio API limits you to one device for both input and output. The only audio input my ADI2 has is the optical and coax SPDIF ports.

I saw a review of the Swissonic Converter AD 24/192 here on ASR and it looks pretty good. The shipping price to North America will double the total price, so I'm curious if I can get anything better for that money.

MCH

Major Contributor
I think there are some legacy interfaces with spdif outs that you can program to route input to spdif and then use standalone. Maybe if you find one used for very little money.... Problem is that the really super cheap are the FireWire ones
I cannot remember any model in particular but maybe someone can chime in.

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello,

I am also looking for a cost effective ADC to coaxial or optical.

OP
D

DarthShader

Yes, I have an analog input, but it only has a balanced analog input with an XLR interface and a sampling setting. Up to 96k. But there are only AES/EBU output and coaxial output interfaces, and there is no optical fiber output interface.
Coax output is fine. Would you have a picture & name of the device? The pics you posted show digital in analog out, not the other way around.

Top Bottom