• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have not seen this issue, but I've only used the E50 with macOS and Linux. I have observed that, after a cold start, the E50 loses sync on USB for the first playback attempt. Subsequent playback attempts work fine. I'm seeing this behavior with Roon Bridge on macOS and Linux, but I've not bothered studying the logs to see what's going on. When it happens again, I'll pay more attention to the LED state and report back.

Thanks again, it hasn't happened again after a few more power on/off cycles so far. Time will tell..

Keened

Forum Donor
I'm quite happy with mine, I wish it had showed up in time to test with the pre-outs from the RZ50.

If Topping releases a 5/7 channel version of this with auto-sensing on for ~$699 they could completely turn the AV market on it's head.

BoredErica

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Oof, got an issue that I think is with PA5 4 months in. All a sudden 2 days ago, the left speaker started making noise. Used to be silent. It usually sounds like noise with intermittent popping noises. Sometimes it'll pop and all the noise will disappear for a while. Popping and noise aren't super loud but any level of audible noise is unacceptable, and I can definitely hear it from sitting position 19in away (especially the pops, even if they aren't super duper loud). Weirdly enough, 2 days ago I even got some noise that sounded like strong wind being blown through a crack.

This happens only to left channel, never to anything hooked up to right channel (even when I switch the speaker hooked up). It happens when nothing is hooked up to dac (so it's just pa5 connected to power + left channel). Nothing changes if I switch inputs on pa5 or if I turn the volume knob up or down. When I turn it off and back on, sometimes the amount of noise will temporarily increase for about 3 seconds and go back down to normal. Sometimes noise just goes away for seemingly no reason. I'd say left channel has problems maybe 25% of the time throughout the day.

Sounds like an issue with pa5 correct? If not I don't see how this only happens on one channel, and only to whatever is hooked up to left channel, even when pa5 is not hooked up to anything else but power. If my house's power is garbage and it's getting leaked over a balanced connection, why is it only the left channel that has issues?

Has anyone experience with RMA experience for Hifigo? What annoys me about such issues is A) long downtime for company located far away and B) intermittent issues that I fear sometimes RMA department won't pick up.

Last edited:

AudioArchitech

I have the exact same problem. I have disconnected sources, swapped L and R speaker wires, connected with new speaker wires to another set of speakers, plugged amp into another AC circuit…. and the noise keeps coming back. It is definitely a problem with the PA5.

edit: the noise is quite audible on my speakers, can hear it from 10 feet away. It comes from both speakers, off and on but much more consistently and much louder from the Left speaker. Strangely it's sometimes dead silent again at times, but it's getting worse all the time and more noise than silence now. It's annoying, it definitely need to get warrantied : (

Last edited:

pma

Major Contributor
My AIYIMA A07 is doing something similar. My guess is it is related to the limited space and high local temperature. These things are not to be considered serious amplifiers.

AudioArchitech

So far I regret buying from HiFiGO but maybe they'll surprise me in how this gets dealt with. When I purchased it, I paid extra for "Express Shipping" (3-7days) and it took over 3 weeks for it to arrive. I also contacted them to see if mine had an issue since I was not hearing the performance I was expecting. I even contacted Topping and had them check if mine was authentic since others on this forum were saying theirs were sounding excellent, best ever... Then this noise/hiss issue started over a month ago on mine. They sent me a list of things to check, asked me to check for loose speaker wires repeatedly. Now they are asking me to send the amp to them so they can send it to Topping for testing and repair. They are also asking me to declare $50 value, but I would much rather Insure it for actual value in case of loss. It sounds like there may be extra duty fees from China... great !?! I'm also assuming it will be gone for over 2 months based on my original shipping experience. I'll let you know how it all goes!

(HiFiGO) Below are the return details:
1. Return to our China warehouse with freight prepaid.
Pls kindly make sure the product is as complete as it was delivered.
Leave a note inside the package with order number xxxxx. Return label etc is not necessary.

2. Pls tell us the tracking number when it is shipped.(You can choose the economy post service as it will be cheaper than express shipping. )

3. Pls declare it USD50 and write the name “Amplifier”, don’t need to mention the brand and product name.

4. We will send it to the brand to test and repair it.

You will be responsible for paying the shipping costs for returning your item. Shipping costs we send the product to you are non-refundable( write us in advance how much it is)and Custom Duty when it come back to China is non-refundable too ( we will send you receipt after we get it ).
Should the Product(s) supplied by HiFiGo prove defective because of improper workmanship or material as reasonably determined by us, HiFiGo agrees, at its option, to either repair or replace the Product free of charge, excluding any shipping or handling charges.

Last edited:

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Kinda sounds like capacitor ageing. Or maybe solder joints going bad. Both problems that shouldn't happen till over 10 years into a products life.

dsnyder0cnn

No issues with mine so far, but I've only had it for a week. I guess I have up to two years of warranty coverage from Apos. Hopefully Topping will have a new PA7 or PA9 out by then.

Toku

Major Contributor
Oof, got an issue that I think is with PA5 4 months in. All a sudden 2 days ago, the left speaker started making noise. Used to be silent. It usually sounds like noise with intermittent popping noises. Sometimes it'll pop and all the noise will disappear for a while. Popping and noise aren't super loud but any level of audible noise is unacceptable, and I can definitely hear it from sitting position 19in away (especially the pops, even if they aren't super duper loud). Weirdly enough, 2 days ago I even got some noise that sounded like strong wind being blown through a crack.

This happens only to left channel, never to anything hooked up to right channel (even when I switch the speaker hooked up). It happens when nothing is hooked up to dac (so it's just pa5 connected to power + left channel). Nothing changes if I switch inputs on pa5 or if I turn the volume knob up or down. When I turn it off and back on, sometimes the amount of noise will temporarily increase for about 3 seconds and go back down to normal. Sometimes noise just goes away for seemingly no reason. I'd say left channel has problems maybe 25% of the time throughout the day.

Sounds like an issue with pa5 correct? If not I don't see how this only happens on one channel, and only to whatever is hooked up to left channel, even when pa5 is not hooked up to anything else but power. If my house's power is garbage and it's getting leaked over a balanced connection, why is it only the left channel that has issues?

Has anyone experience with RMA experience for Hifigo? What annoys me about such issues is A) long downtime for company located far away and B) intermittent issues that I fear sometimes RMA department won't pick up.
If there is noise when nothing is connected to the PA5 input, I think the cause is a PA5 failure. Please contact the shop where you purchased the product and request a replacement.
It's been 4 months since I bought my PA5, but I haven't had any trouble. During this time, the power of PA5 is almost on.

In my experience, when I returned the SMSL MA500 to Shenzhen Audio, they paid the shipping cost.

wlgreg

I have the exact same problem. I have disconnected sources, swapped L and R speaker wires, connected with new speaker wires to another set of speakers, plugged amp into another AC circuit…. and the noise keeps coming back. It is definitely a problem with the PA5.

edit: the noise is quite audible on my speakers, can hear it from 10 feet away. It comes from both speakers, off and on but much more consistently and much louder from the Left speaker. Strangely it's sometimes dead silent again at times, but it's getting worse all the time and more noise than silence now. It's annoying, it definitely need to get warrantied : (
I had the same problem after a couple of months with mine. I RMA-ed with Apos and now have a new one. I did have one instance of static with the new one, but not repeated since. I hope it doesn't happen again.

AudioArchitech

I wonder if it’s just going to eventually happen to most of them and Topping ends up having to issue a recall?

mx2

So far I regret buying from HiFiGO but maybe they'll surprise me in how this gets dealt with. When I purchased it, I paid extra for "Express Shipping" (3-7days) and it took over 3 weeks for it to arrive. I also contacted them to see if mine had an issue since I was not hearing the performance I was expecting. I even contacted Topping and had them check if mine was authentic since others on this forum were saying theirs were sounding excellent, best ever... Then this noise/hiss issue started over a month ago on mine. They sent me a list of things to check, asked me to check for loose speaker wires repeatedly. Now they are asking me to send the amp to them so they can send it to Topping for testing and repair. They are also asking me to declare $50 value, but I would much rather Insure it for actual value in case of loss. It sounds like there may be extra duty fees from China... great !?! I'm also assuming it will be gone for over 2 months based on my original shipping experience. I'll let you know how it all goes!

(HiFiGO) Below are the return details:
1. Return to our China warehouse with freight prepaid.
Pls kindly make sure the product is as complete as it was delivered.
Leave a note inside the package with order number xxxxx. Return label etc is not necessary.

2. Pls tell us the tracking number when it is shipped.(You can choose the economy post service as it will be cheaper than express shipping. )

3. Pls declare it USD50 and write the name “Amplifier”, don’t need to mention the brand and product name.

4. We will send it to the brand to test and repair it.

You will be responsible for paying the shipping costs for returning your item. Shipping costs we send the product to you are non-refundable( write us in advance how much it is)and Custom Duty when it come back to China is non-refundable too ( we will send you receipt after we get it ).
Should the Product(s) supplied by HiFiGo prove defective because of improper workmanship or material as reasonably determined by us, HiFiGo agrees, at its option, to either repair or replace the Product free of charge, excluding any shipping or handling charges.

So they're asking you to commit customs fraud? :O

vkvedam

Forum Donor
So they're asking you to commit customs fraud? :O
It could be an issue with how the Chinese Post and Customs deal with these I suppose than Topping committing to a fraud :D

jools

Forum Donor
I don't think it's exactly fraud. If you have imported something and paid duty and taxes then you are entitled to send it back for service without paying again but... when I tried that with a couple of watches going to Switzerland I didn't realise that I had to take them in to the customs office first to have them officially recognised as mine and do some other paperwork to try and get them allowed into Switzerland as a temporary import. When I failed to do all that I ended up with a four figure duty bill for getting my own watches back. So the Topping dealer is trying to avoid all that unpleasantness - albeit by slightly dodgy means.

JeffGB

My PA5 continues to work fine but summer is coming and it does run very hot. I have an Aiyima a07 that I THOUGHT ran pretty hot, but, by comparison it is super cool. I had sun through a window on the Topping one warm day and it got even hotter so I am considering replacing the Topping power supply with one of a lower voltage. I don't need the maximum power and would prefer longevity.
The reason I am considering a lower voltage is the ratings for the chip in the Topping. The PA5 appears to be the TPA3251 from TI, whereas the Aiyima is using the TPA3255. The TPA3255 is rated at a maximum voltage of 51 volts with the Aiyima power supply being 32 volts. The TPA3251 is rated at a maximum of 36 volts and the PA5 runs it at 38.5 volts. Clearly the chip is being pushed for maximum power.
The Aiyima is running FAR cooler in it's sealed small enclosure than the Topping in it's slightly larger, vented enclosure. When the temperatures soar this summer in my listening room, I don't have confidence in the durability of the PA5.

I don't have any issues with the performance of the PA5 at this point but I like it enough that I want it to last as long as possible. I'm now thinking about changing the PA5's power supply connector to the Aiyima's power supply to see how much cooler it runs.

Eldus

My PA5 continues to work fine but summer is coming and it does run very hot. I have an Aiyima a07 that I THOUGHT ran pretty hot, but, by comparison it is super cool. I had sun through a window on the Topping one warm day and it got even hotter so I am considering replacing the Topping power supply with one of a lower voltage. I don't need the maximum power and would prefer longevity.
The reason I am considering a lower voltage is the ratings for the chip in the Topping. The PA5 appears to be the TPA3251 from TI, whereas the Aiyima is using the TPA3255. The TPA3255 is rated at a maximum voltage of 51 volts with the Aiyima power supply being 32 volts. The TPA3251 is rated at a maximum of 36 volts and the PA5 runs it at 38.5 volts. Clearly the chip is being pushed for maximum power.
The Aiyima is running FAR cooler in it's sealed small enclosure than the Topping in it's slightly larger, vented enclosure. When the temperatures soar this summer in my listening room, I don't have confidence in the durability of the PA5.

I don't have any issues with the performance of the PA5 at this point but I like it enough that I want it to last as long as possible. I'm now thinking about changing the PA5's power supply connector to the Aiyima's power supply to see how much cooler it runs.
Interesting. My PA5 has only ever gotten "warm" to my hand. Do you listen at high levels at a far distance and/or with low sensitivity speakers? For reference I am pretty close to my speakers.

Selkirks

Interesting. My PA5 has only ever gotten "warm" to my hand. Do you listen at high levels at a far distance and/or with low sensitivity speakers? For reference I am pretty close to my speakers.
My PA5 at most is warm to the touch as well. I am using it with 94 dB speakers, 11 ft from my listening postion. Sessions rarely exceed 70 dB. No issues to report so far.

Last edited:

JeffGB

I'm using my PA5 on my desktop, at low volumes, so I'm definitely not pushing it. I would normally not push any chip beyond it's maximum values and I have to say the PA5 makes me nervous for it's longevity. I might just swap the PA5 power supply to the Aiyima and the a07 power supply to the Topping...

dsnyder0cnn

Same here. I have the volume set to max on my PA5 (levels managed in Roon). I only have it switched on when I'm actually listening (around 83 dB from 6 ft away with speakers that are relatively inefficient…87 dB), but it barely exceeds room temperature.

Adis

I'm using my PA5 on my desktop, at low volumes, so I'm definitely not pushing it. I would normally not push any chip beyond it's maximum values and I have to say the PA5 makes me nervous for it's longevity. I might just swap the PA5 power supply to the Aiyima and the a07 power supply to the Topping...
Can you do that? Do the connectors match?

Top Bottom