• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

ryanmh1

I'm 52 years old and my hearing tops out at 16kHz. THD at 20kHz is meaningless.

You're wrong. It tells you a lot. The 20kHz THD measurement is one of the single most important specifications going. Go read Doug Self or Bob Cordell's books about amplifier design. Then the lightbulb will go off and you'll understand why it matters. No serious amp designer sits there measuring SINAD at 1kHz (except to ace an ASR test). Perpetual problem with measurements. Most people don't understand what to measure, and why something that seems meaningless actually tells you very, very important things about an amplifier.

See, this is why those like PMA who understood this problem quit responding. It takes two books and years of learning to explain the problem, and no one who understand the problem is about to take the time. Go spend some time reading threads on DIYAudio with Bob Cordell if you don't want to buy his book. Doug Self has the measurements in his book to explain this stuff. But that SINAD sure is pretty, albeit somewhat meaningless most likely. To Topping's credit, they blew all of Texas Instrument's datasheets out of the water, which is commendable. Had my hopes up until I realized what it was (a TI chip amp) and how they pulled off the trick, and the problems that just can't be solved since fundamentally, it is what it is. Oh, well.

ryanmh1

THD at 20kHz is meaningless for everyone, as it is above 10kHz. Then take the spectral power density of music - I'm not remotely worried by those charts.
:facepalm: Like I said, read Cordell and Self. If you want to buy things based on specifications (which you should, in part), at least know enough not to say something like this. It's why "specmanship" got a bad name in audio. It's easy to bamboozle people who don't understand what they're looking at or why a particular specification matters.

I'll tell you right now it would be possible to design an amplifier just like this with a stinking pristine 1kHz SINAD measurement that sounded like absolute trash. What would tell you that? The 20kHZ THD number being off the chart.... This isn't off the chart, so it's probably fine, though. But still... just :facepalm:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It should be easy to explain how ultrasonic distortion products of 20KHz are a problem for audibility (taking into account that any IMD products from those are shown by the multi-tone not to come back into the audio band at any significant level).

If not - then your post is just another appeal to authority.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is how I see the discussion. The PA5 has rising distortion with frequency, this is a fact. High distortion at higher frequencies can cause intermodulation at audible frequencies, this is a fact. A two tone 19 + 20 kHz test will show this intermodulation better than a multitone test and is provided on data sheets for Purifi, Hypex, IcePower, etc.

It is questionable that this intermodulation will be audible given the lower relative level of high frequencies. Until someone brings some new data to the discussion (blind listening tests and/or 19 + 20 kHz tests) we are all just spinning our wheels repeating the same points.

The other interesting issue is that the PA5 definitely has more response variation than Hypex or Purifi and it would be interesting to see an output impedance measurement for comparison.

So overall I agree that the PA5 is not quite at the level of Hypex or Purifi but it is less expensive and seems optimized for things that are readily audible (low noise and low gain). But I can see why many hesitate to call it SOTA.

Michael

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
:facepalm: Like I said, read Cordell and Self. If you want to buy things based on specifications (which you should, in part), at least know enough not to say something like this. It's why "specmanship" got a bad name in audio. It's easy to bamboozle people who don't understand what they're looking at or why a particular specification matters.

I'll tell you right now it would be possible to design an amplifier just like this with a stinking pristine 1kHz SINAD measurement that sounded like absolute trash. What would tell you that? The 20kHZ THD number being off the chart.... This isn't off the chart, so it's probably fine, though. But still... just :facepalm:

Is this what you're concerned about? Please tell me how that one tiny IMD component at 1k is of any concern to anyone not listening to sine waves at amplitudes and at frequencies outside the range of any real recording meant for humans?

index.php

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is that a test of the PA5 - or just an example of a 19/20Khz test?

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Here is an interesting data point on the shifted sound stage. Dirac on my new miniDSP Flex pulls 1.2-1.4 dB off the right channel of my PA5 on every calibration I've ran. This is a near field calibration from my seated position at my desk, just 3' from each speaker. I agree with the calibration that the image is better centered after reducing the right channel.

EDIT: I'm striking out my above comment because I swapped speaker sides and inputs on the amp, and the dB cut applied by Dirac stayed with the same speaker and NOT the amp channel. The cut was also the same, and thus my PA5 does not have shifted sound stage, and clearly the shifted sound stage I was hearing is environmental, or one of the speakers is a little louder/quieter.

Last edited:

AudioArchitech

Any chance you tried switching the Left and Right Speaker Outs from PA5? Would be a great way to confirm if it's from the amp. I'll do some testing as well when I get a chance. Now sick with Omicron, slowing me down.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Any chance you tried switching the Left and Right Speaker Outs from PA5? Would be a great way to confirm if it's from the amp. I'll do some testing as well when I get a chance. Now sick with Omicron, slowing me down.
Damn - GWS.

BoredErica

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Here is how I see the discussion. The PA5 has rising distortion with frequency, this is a fact. High distortion at higher frequencies can cause intermodulation at audible frequencies, this is a fact. A two tone 19 + 20 kHz test will show this intermodulation better than a multitone test and is provided on data sheets for Purifi, Hypex, IcePower, etc.

It is questionable that this intermodulation will be audible given the lower relative level of high frequencies. Until someone brings some new data to the discussion (blind listening tests and/or 19 + 20 kHz tests) we are all just spinning our wheels repeating the same points.

The other interesting issue is that the PA5 definitely has more response variation than Hypex or Purifi and it would be interesting to see an output impedance measurement for comparison.

So overall I agree that the PA5 is not quite at the level of Hypex or Purifi but it is less expensive and seems optimized for things that are readily audible (low noise and low gain). But I can see why many hesitate to call it SOTA.

Michael
I understand being paranoid. I might be the most paranoid person you've met when it comes to noise coming out of a speaker with ear <1in from tweeter in a sound treated house and especially sound treated room (which I fully intend to work on later in life!). But I know this is one aspect I'm a stickler for and to trash amps with high gain or noise most people honestly cannot perceive that perform better than pa5 in some ways is unfair.

The problem is perhaps due to backlash from the first few pages of comments in this review of people suggesting it's SOTA, people keep coming in here insisting the pa5 is crap. There are people who are generally technically experienced like pma who call pa5 a 'toy' for people who will 'replace their amps every 6 months to fit in with their group'. They are so rude and their language so over the top that I can't trust them on these matters. And they don't have consensus among the technical minded either.

I think almost every person criticizing pa5 isn't being fair and balanced in their criticism. Some people have very interesting takes on how measurements work, or very negative visceral reactions to the idea that their 50lb+ class A amp does not destroy an amp in a relatively small enclosure like pa5. There's the many people who give their subjective takes on the sound. (I too can give my impressions but they wouldn't trust mine.)

Last edited:

Gio

Forum Donor
There was a time when high fidelity devices were essential: everything useless was eliminated because, it was said, everything must be put to improve the sound. No frills. This is what I find in the PA5: a small container, an almost invisible light and two switches, one to turn on/off and one to select the outputs. For my taste there are "too many". Welcome back High fidelity.

rbachl

I think almost every person criticizing pa5 isn't being fair and balanced in their criticism. Some people have very interesting takes on how measurements work, or very negative visceral reactions to the idea that their 50lb+ class A amp does not destroy an amp in a relatively small enclosure like pa5. There's the many people who give their subjective takes on the sound. (I too can give my impressions but they wouldn't trust mine.)

Yes, I also find some of the discussions in this thread weird, e.g. saying that PA5 is only 20W while this is clearly not the case.
Anyway, the review from Amir is to be trusted and very clear. With some technical background one can discard much of the criticism in this thread.
I have bought PA5 and replaced my old amplifier, and I love it. For me, PA5 is all what is needed for a power amplifier.

jjmanda

Yes, I also find some of the discussions in this thread weird, e.g. saying that PA5 is only 20W while this is clearly not the case.
Anyway, the review from Amir is to be trusted and very clear. With some technical background one can discard much of the criticism in this thread.
I have bought PA5 and replaced my old amplifier, and I love it. For me, PA5 is all what is needed for a power amplifier.
I agree. I've had my PA5 for about 6 weeks now. I switched out a pair of vintage amps (with modern upgrades done by Peter Williams) that I ran in a 150w left/right bridged mono setup for the PA5. While I don't think I'll permanently get rid of the previous amp setup, I can't find any faults with the PA5 and I still have it in my setup. Sounds great.

Last edited:

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree. I've had my PA5 for about 6 weeks now. I switched out a pair of vintage amps (with modern upgrades done by Peter Williams) that I ran in a 150w left/right bridged mono setup for the PA5. While I don't think I'll permanently get rid of the previous amp setup, I can't find any faults with the PA5 and I still have it in my setup. Sounds great.

While my PA5 isn't going to replace the 180lbs of 200W, all class-A mono blocks I have in my system, I find it amusing to think that it can, considering it's 1/20 the size, 1/200 the weight and 1/40 the price and about 10x (20dB) better SINAD :)

ryanmh1

Thanks for doing that, and obviously for understanding WHY it was important. I couldn't find where the power level was given for the CCIF, but if that is at full power, it's impressively clean, and would to an extent alleviate some of the concerns that the bad THD20 creates. If it was at 5W like the THD+N, it suggests it is impressively clean at lower power levels.

For those who still doubt why any of this 20kHz THD stuff matters, here you go:

from Doug Self.

And a Q&A with Bruno Putzeys (designer of the Purifi/Hypex modules): https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/bits...eaders-qa-with-lars-risbo-bruno-putzeys-r815/

Bruno: I like the way you put it, “unmeasured”. Because that’s really the point when measurements and ears diverge. Measurements are scientific experiments: to test a hypothesis. Remember that you can’t ever prove a hypothesis, the best thing you can do is try very, very hard to disprove it. Every time you fail to prove your hypothesis false, it becomes more solid. So if your hypothesis is that “this is a good amplifier” you try to make it do things you don’t want it to do. It’s not enough to run a handful of standardised tests, you have to invent all sorts of tests that you target specifically at weaknesses you expect.

Lars: Like a 20kHz THD test in its own right is not very useful because the harmonics are inaudible. So you do an IMD test with 20kHz and 19kHz tones and all of a sudden the whole audible spectrum clutters up with distortion. The silly thing is that the standard CCIF test that this signal came from then ignores all of that and only looks at the lone second order product at 1kHz… You have to look at the whole spectrum and that’s really enlightening. It’s one of the major tests that really tell you which is the better amp. Probably a reason why this test isn’t commonly included in amplifier data sheets.

Bruno: The nice thing is that this high frequency IMD test is about the worst thing you do to an amp with an input that’s still technically an audio signal. Of course you can make an amplifier go completely mad by feeding it radio frequency signals but that’s not going to tell you anything about the sound. But to come back to your question, I’m always looking for test methods that are within the remit of audio and that somehow make amplifiers do unexpected things. Admittedly that well has dried up a little. Even a class D amplifier is simple enough that with two sine waves you can pretty much probe all there is to probe. The only real surprise we had recently was to do with the output choke. Magnetic materials have something called hysteresis, but there is precious little information about what this really does. If you test a magnetic core with a sinewave the distortion looks a little like soft clipping, perfectly benign. But what came out of tests on iron parts in loudspeakers was that hysteresis has a long term memory so you can get intermodulation between things that happen now and things that happened 10 minutes ago. With music this distortion sounds like half correlated noise.

Yet, the closest thing ASR generally will test which comes even close to telling us whether "this is a good amplifier" is a 15kHz THD+N sweep. All the standard tests are doing is telling us whether this might be a good amplifier. As Putzeys says above, though, it just is not enough to do a "handful of standardized tests". Yeah, there's a multitone. Which is good for, um, frequency response. https://www.ap.com/technical-library/multitone-analysis-with-apx500/. Now, that's a little uncharitable, since it can show more than that, but why this isn't a terribly difficult test was pointed on here more than three years ago: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...odulation-distortion-testing.4769/post-105899. Still, it persists. Two minutes more effort doing a high power and a low power two tone up front and there would be far, far fewer doubts, and frankly, more than double the information currently being presented about whether an amplifier is really good, from a perspective of technical superiority. The theory, of course, being that if an amplifier can pass this worst-case test with flying colors, it's unlikely to perform worse when less stress is placed on it. Whether any of this is all that audible unless the results are really bad is highly debatable.

Case studies: https://www.stereophile.com/content/mytek-hifi-brooklyn-amp-power-amplifier-measurements. Now go down to Fig. 7. Recognize that wild rise in distortion at high frequencies? It's what the Topping does, except that Topping is an even more comical rise since the THD+N at 1kHz is maybe an order of magnitude lower. Now go here: https://www.stereophile.com/content/classé-delta-mono-monoblock-power-amplifier-measurements. No rise in high frequencies, and a very clean CCIF. And here's a Parasound which is more typical: https://www.stereophile.com/content/parasound-halo-jc-1-monoblock-power-amplifier-measurements-0. Same THD20 rise, bad CCIF. And a McIntosh: https://www.stereophile.com/content/mcintosh-laboratory-mc462-power-amplifier-measurements. Some rise, but much less, and 20dB lower on the sideband and the 1kHz difference component is quite low (and this is at 100W). Is it necessarily guaranteed that a poor showing on a frequency sweep will lead to bad results on the CCIF IMD test? No. There are some contrary examples, particularly with Purifi or Hypex modules where people have done stupid implementations. But that's why it matters to do the test, and why that 20kHz distortion rise is a big, flashing red WARNING sign.

Like it or not, Stereophile is still doing one of the better jobs out there of doing the proper tests to characterize an amplifier's performance. ASR still does not do them, which leads to a litany of people who care about technical performance thinking they do not matter, and refusing to believe they might. It's depressing on a site dedicated to audio science. It's like testing a Bugatti Veyron and running it through a 0-60 and a top speed test, and refusing to go around a corner because you think corners just don't matter. I suppose if you just drag race and flying mile your Veyron or just listen to 1kHz tones and no cymbals on your amplifier, both would be enough. Anyway, thanks to pkane for filling in some gaps. If this was at a higher power than just 5W, Topping deserves a lot of credit for making a silk purse out of a sow's ear. The nasty THD20 might not be causing the problems it usually does.

Last edited:
Top Bottom