• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

PeteL

Major Contributor
I'd love to see this reviewed also. Double the price, but also double the power..
Here you go

Tusoli5

This will make the cheapest nice little amp when it'll be available on second hand market.
It tests better than many 60-80w products anyway.
This is a good sign for years and fun to come.
It could drive a full range / high sensitivity speaker quite easily

We'll certainly see new references of high quality sooner than we thought in this industry!

F1308

Major Contributor
Ok,
I listen to 4meter , my main speakers are 93db , I want to listen to 100db (90db average + 10db of dynamic).
I want 6db of headroom for the amplifier.

So I need 319W amplifier according the calculator.

That what you means ?
Or just a calculator without knowledge about parameters is useless ?
Make it 55-65 dB for normal listening (a bit louder than a relaxed conversation level), leave 30-20dB headroom for full orchestra passages and remain below 85dB at anytime for years to come while still able to enjoy it.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would begg to differ with this statement as well. Best performing integrated amp at 350€? Yep. All day.

Absolute best value for money is still no doubt AIYIMA A07. I bought one 36,96€ shipped during AliExpress deals (54,70€ total with PSU).
You simply added one more qualifier then agreed :)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Make it 55-65 dB for normal listening (a bit louder than a relaxed conversation level), leave 30-20dB for full orchestra passages and remain below 85dB at anytime for years to come while still able to enjoy it.
You do know that 30dB means 32 times, right?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
IEC 60320 applies to every appliance below 250V.

Abstract​

lEC 60320-1:2021 sets the general requirements for appliance couplers for two poles and two poles with earth contact and for the connection of electrical devices for household and similar onto the mains supply.

Note "onto the mains supply"

That does not cover connection to the output of a DC supply that *itself* is connected to the mains supply with a compliant connector.

And what about the million or so products that connect via an external power supply via a circular barrel connector (such as most laptops for example). None of those are compliant with 60320 either - because they don't need to be.

F1308

Major Contributor
You do know that 30dB means 32 times, right?
Just trying to make happiness happen.
It is simply another input in the equation...
It surely won't be achieved, I mean used, anytime since there is not such a sonic range available as far as I know in any recording.

Trokox

I do recall reading someone saying this was kind of an historical event. Not that far from this actual page.
Maybe you mean my post. I literally said that it was a day of celebration for the audiophile community and I keep it, Getting this performance for $ 350 is something that I personally had not seen until now. Many of us are happy that we can buy an outstanding amp for this amount of money. To give an example the Aiyima A07 is a good amplifier for the price but it is not in the same league of the greats, the PA5 is certainly not the best amplifier of all time and nobody has said that here but you can sit at the same table of heavy weights without feeling less and for a much lower price

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just trying to make happiness happen.
It is simply another input in the equation...
It surely won't be achieved anytime since there is not such a sonic range available as far as I know in any recording.
Nor in live music.

ClassicGuy

Ok,
I listen to 4meter , my main speakers are 93db , I want to listen to 100db (90db average + 10db of dynamic).
I want 6db of headroom for the amplifier.

So I need 319W amplifier according the calculator.

That what you means ?
Or just a calculator without knowledge about parameters is useless ?

I agree some people don't understand how much headroom to input there. However, I am assuming some knowledge of audio. You would go deaf listening to music at 90db.

PeteL

Major Contributor
I'd love to see this reviewed also. Double the price, but also double the power..
It's more than double the price, but it don't only have (much) more power, Its also a DAC, it have Subwoofer outs, a remote and is better behaved at high frequency. It's the better choice if you ask me.

BoredErica

Addicted to Fun and Learning
But mind the hiss, one never knows...
Budget amps that fail to deliver inaudible noise when listening at 1.5ft are unacceptable to me. The value the amp delivers me is zero because I'd rather use my headphones instead. To me such amps are not cheap at all, but rather the most expensive ones of all in the sense they deliver zero benefit for a cost, so the ratio is all wonked out. :)

F1308

Major Contributor
Budget amps that fail to deliver inaudible noise when listening at 1.5ft are unacceptable to me. The value the amp delivers me is zero because I'd rather use my headphones instead. To me such amps are not cheap at all, but rather the most expensive ones of all in the sense they deliver zero benefit for a cost, so the ratio is all wonked out. :)
I understand.
Same goes with active loudspeakers.
I long ago went trying to upgrade (hard to achieve) my floorstanders going studio monitors for keyboard playing when I learned most did hiss.
Unbearable for me.
Only when you place your ear on the woofer ?
Unbearable also.
So PA5 is such a great starting point !!!!

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I understand.
Same goes with active loudspeakers.
I long ago went trying to upgrade (hard to achieve) my floorstanders going studio monitors for keyboard playing when I learned most did hiss.
Unbearable for me.
Only when you place your ear on the woofer ?
Unbearable also.
Yet another reason that this is a great amplifier. The noise level should be inaudible even with horn tweeters.

Nango

Major Contributor

Note "onto the mains supply"

That does not cover connection to the output of a DC supply that *itself* is connected to the mains supply with a compliant connector.

And what about the million or so products that connect via an external power supply via a circular barrel connector (such as most laptops for example). None of those are compliant with 60320 either - because they don't need to be.

This is your statement. We need more details.

Top Bottom