• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

Wirrunna

Michael there is something in my setup that the connection of the PA5 to the miniDSP does that all but eliminate the miniDSP hiss. The passive level control between the miniDSP and the amplifiers, PA5 and the Audiophonics MPA-S125NC, allows the output of the miniDSP (signal + noise) to be set so the noise is acceptable, then the gain in the miniDSP is set to bring the signal way above the residual noise.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am using Topping D70s with Rega IO.
Is it worth to change to Topping PA5?
I would say no - unless your IO is not performing for you in some way you need. Sure it doesn't measure as well as the PA5, but you are unlikely to hear the difference. The PA5 doesn't give you significantly more power. You'd also lose the input selection you get with the IO.

Sengin

I'm considering picking this up, but my DAC's single balanced outputs are currently plugged into my headphone amp. What would be the best approach to also plug my DAC to the PA5? I have the option to split the balanced output in two (which results in half the volume to each if I'm understanding right) and THEN convert to a TRS to plug into the PA5. Or I could convert the DAC's RCA outputs to TRS (also at a volume loss if I'm understanding right?) and plug those into the PA5. I'm leaning towards the latter since it only requires one conversion, but I haven't done RCA -> TRS (unbalanced to "balanced") before and don't know if there's any gotchas here.

Rosautomatic

Bought the PA5 based on this review. 3 weeks in and developed a fault with the right channel. Theres an audable noise comming from it even if theres nothing plugged in. The noise is not affected by the volume pot. Been in touch with SA where i bought it from and followed couple of suggestion to fix the issue but nothing seem to work. Anyone has any ideas? I will prabably end up returning it and loosing a few quid but thought i check here first, knowing the designer of the PA5 is active on this forum.

AudioArchitech

I'm considering picking this up, but my DAC's single balanced outputs are currently plugged into my headphone amp. What would be the best approach to also plug my DAC to the PA5? I have the option to split the balanced output in two (which results in half the volume to each if I'm understanding right) and THEN convert to a TRS to plug into the PA5. Or I could convert the DAC's RCA outputs to TRS (also at a volume loss if I'm understanding right?) and plug those into the PA5. I'm leaning towards the latter since it only requires one conversion, but I haven't done RCA -> TRS (unbalanced to "balanced") before and don't know if there's any gotchas here.

Best option between the two is to use XLR Splitter Cable From DAC to Headphone Amp and PA5

bsas

Bought the PA5 based on this review. 3 weeks in and developed a fault with the right channel. Theres an audable noise comming from it even if theres nothing plugged in. The noise is not affected by the volume pot. Been in touch with SA where i bought it from and followed couple of suggestion to fix the issue but nothing seem to work. Anyone has any ideas? I will prabably end up returning it and loosing a few quid but thought i check here first, knowing the designer of the PA5 is active on this forum.

Can't you request it to be checked and fixed under warranty? Where did you bought it?

mocenigo

Major Contributor
I seem to remember seeing the word Science here somewhere. Got any of that? Experience is fine, but flights of fancy and imagination unsupported by facts or science are not.

Science (well, Engineering... the word "science" here is abused a bit) tells us that DAC output stages can have differing, non-flat responses depending on their designs and the impedance of the load. So two DACs with perfect SINAD can still sound different because SINAD is just measured on a resistive load at 1Khz.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Science (well, Engineering... the word "science" here is abused a bit) tells us that DAC output stages can have differing, non-flat responses depending on their designs and the impedance of the load. So two DACs with perfect SINAD can still sound different because SINAD is just measured on a resistive load at 1Khz.

I keep seeing this mentioned, so I have to ask: did somebody actually say that the same SINAD numbers guarantee that two devices sound the same?

AudioArchitech

Best option between the two is to use XLR Splitter Cable From DAC to Headphone Amp and PA5
To answer your question about sharing the Output voltage. It's not really a concern, especially in your case as I would imagine that you would be listening to either the PA5 or Headphone amp, not both at the same time. Even if you were it's unlikely that both would be cranked to max volume at the same time. Also, the PA5 only needs 2.6V for max volume. Most Balanced Outputs are 4V-5V

Gio

Forum Donor
I have the same problem and I've just taken a DoukAudio "3 IN - 3 OUT" splitter/selector. The model "1 IN - 3 OUT" is used by ASR. Check for the model MC03. In this blog you can find also the review and measure made by ASR. You will be able to use the balaced output of the DAC with the headphone amplifier and with PA5. Of course you need more cables.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
I keep seeing this mentioned, so I have to ask: did somebody actually say that the same SINAD numbers guarantee that two devices sound the same?

Nobody here. This is a myth spread on some sites such as SBAF, that this is claimed here.

However, it is often maintained that two DACs with very high SINAD will be indistinguishable (so, not two DACs with SINAD = 80, but two DACs with SINAD at around 96 or above (never seen the exact number quoted)).

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
However, it is often maintained that two DACs with very high SINAD will be indistinguishable (so, not two DACs with SINAD = 80, but two DACs with SINAD at around 96 or above (never seen the exact number quoted)).

While that's more likely (say at SINAD of 100 or better), it's not a guarantee. I can't imagine anybody knowledgeable saying that this is true with any certainty.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nobody here. This is a myth spread on some sites such as SBAF, that this is claimed here.

I believe the limit of audibility for SINAD is stated as 115dB AND with flat FR also needed. (96+ is probably fine for those of us with non bionic audio augmentation :))

EDIT : someone posted a link recently for an ABX distortion test. Those of us who took it couldn't hear the distotion when it dropped below around -45dB, and that is 1000x bigger than -105dB.

Last edited:

mocenigo

Major Contributor
I believe the limit of audibility for SINAD is stated as 115dB AND with flat FR also needed. (96+ is probably fine for those of us with non bionic audio augmentation :))

That is probably overkill. 96+ is for humans, I guess. I agree with you.

EDIT : someone posted a link recenetly for an ABX distortion test. Those of us who took it couldn't hear the distotion when it dropped below around -45dB, and that is 1000x bigger than -105dB.

Not surprising. Definitely can't be better than that if listened through loudspeakers, which are considered super-duper-extraordinary when the distortion is at -60Db when 1W is through them (like my modified Beyma TPL-150H AMTs, and only in some frequency ranges), and often have THD at -40Db, i.e. 1% if I am not mistaken.

As for listen through headphones, it may be a bit better, but I am not sure.

We do not actually listen to the DACs and amps, at least not in a pure way, they are mostly masked: 99% of what we hear are the transducers.

Last edited:

AudioArchitech

My Topping PA5 finally showed up today, will be picking it up after work. Can’t wait to test it out with my PecanPi and it's great sound quality, and SNR of 130dB !

PecanPi​

XLR Output (including headphone driver):
Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR): 130dB (A-weighted)
Residual Noise: 1.6uV (A-weighted)
Dynamic Range (DNR): 125dB
Total Harmonic Distortion + Noise (THD+N): -110dB or 0.0003%
Frequency Response: DC (0Hz) to 22kHz @ 48kHz sample rate
Frequency Response: DC (0Hz) to 44kHz @ 96kHz sample rate
Frequency Response: DC (0Hz) to 88kHz @ 192kHz sample rate
Output Voltage: 5Vrms (+16.2dBu)

mocenigo

Major Contributor
My Topping PA5 finally showed up today, will be picking it up after work. Can’t wait to test it out with my PecanPi and it's great sound quality, and SNR of 130dB !

PecanPi​

XLR Output (including headphone driver):
Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR): 130dB (A-weighted)
Residual Noise: 1.6uV (A-weighted)
Dynamic Range (DNR): 125dB
Total Harmonic Distortion + Noise (THD+N): -110dB or 0.0003%
Frequency Response: DC (0Hz) to 22kHz @ 48kHz sample rate
Frequency Response: DC (0Hz) to 44kHz @ 96kHz sample rate
Frequency Response: DC (0Hz) to 88kHz @ 192kHz sample rate
Output Voltage: 5Vrms (+16.2dBu)

I know this is a bit off topic here, but the PecanPi is a Raspberry Pi and a DAC in a box? Which DAC?

Top Bottom