• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can not hear nothing at 20 kHz now but it is a important paramenter to me, the phase curve. With Class A and A/B it is never a problem (< 6º at 20 kHz, usually).

I think your 6º at 20khz requirement is way too restrictive! Here's PA5 frequency/phase response (phase in blue, lower trace):

EDIT: manually adjusted time delay
1640901130190.png

Attachments

• 1640894320684.png
    1640894320684.png
    101.4 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oops, thank you, I thought, that you only lowered the output level of your preamp, but the volume knob of the PA5 was fixed at max. level by that measurement.
No, for that one I lowered PA5 volume control by 10dB, then raised input level to get the original 5W out of it.

Reactions: nhs

bsas

OK, I am not the one that likes to talk small about something just to cause discussion, but, I just received my PA5 and I listen to it, and compare it to other amps, and here are my impressions:

1) The unit is definitely underpowered for my use, unfortunately. My room is not too big and my speakers are not super sensitive but they are not crazy (8 ohms, 87db sensitivity). Any music with a deep base passage it struggles, like A LOT, to represent the bass properly and I honestly think it is a fact of power alone. Example: Angel, by Sarah McLachlan, the lower notes in the piano are very "dead" and muted. Another example: Space Lion by Seatbelts (Cowboy Bebop soundtrack).

2) It is definitely dead silent. It is scary, when the music is on mute it almost feels like it is not on at all.

3) Looks like this unit was definitely designed for near field listening and more sensitive speakers. In that sense, it is a very nice unit.

The problem for me was comparing to other stuff, let me go one by one:

1) Compare to my Purifi 1ET400A EVAL1 kit: Not even close. The Purifi sounds miles better, the bass is more powerful and more defined. The mids and highs are more clear and soundstage is more open. Anyone saying that this amp competes with the Purifi doesn't know what they are talking about, sorry :(

2) Compare to my DIY JLE SYLPH-D200 with a Mean Well LRS-350-48 PSU: Also, not even close. The JLE sounds so much better than the PA5, specially on the bass region. It makes the PA5 sounds more "compressed" (maybe because the power on the PA5 just cannot articulate bass notes as good and it gives you that "squeezy" sound impression).

3) Worse offender: compare to my Aiyima 07 (stock, no opamp mods or PSU mods, using the stock 32V PSU): The Aiyima sounds better, unfortunately... It is not as silent for sure, but, the difference in the articulation on the bass to mid region is very obvious. I honestly would trade the perfect SNR and zero noise of the PA5 to the more vivid bass sound on the Aiyima any day. Very sad this one :(

So, conclusion (sad one):

It is a nice unit and it is a crazy technology achievement for class D amps, for sure. But anyone that is worried about the power on unit, your are right to be worried. All "issues" I feel are obvious side effects of how low gain the unit is (and this is just obviously to achieve the crazy good measurement numbers). But unless you are using it as a near field on very sensitive speakers, I am not happy with it, unfortunately...

If anyone else enjoy the amp, I am not saying you are wrong. It is just my own experience with it. And I like the amp, I just wished it was at least 2-3x more powerful...

caught gesture

Forum Donor
OK, I am not the one that likes to talk small about something just to cause discussion, but, I just received my PA5 and I listen to it, and compare it to other amps, and here are my impressions:

1) The unit is definitely underpowered for my use, unfortunately. My room is not too big and my speakers are not super sensitive but they are not crazy (8 ohms, 87db sensitivity). Any music with a deep base passage it struggles, like A LOT, to represent the bass properly and I honestly think it is a fact of power alone. Example: Angel, by Sarah McLachlan, the lower notes in the piano are very "dead" and muted. Another example: Space Lion by Seatbelts (Cowboy Bebop soundtrack).

2) It is definitely dead silent. It is scary, when the music is on mute it almost feels like it is not on at all.

3) Looks like this unit was definitely designed for near field listening and more sensitive speakers. In that sense, it is a very nice unit.

The problem for me was comparing to other stuff, let me go one by one:

1) Compare to my Purifi 1ET400A EVAL1 kit: Not even close. The Purifi sounds miles better, the bass is more powerful and more defined. The mids and highs are more clear and soundstage is more open. Anyone saying that this amp competes with the Purifi doesn't know what they are talking about, sorry :(

2) Compare to my DIY JLE SYLPH-D200 with a Mean Well LRS-350-48 PSU: Also, not even close. The JLE sounds so much better than the PA5, specially on the bass region. It makes the PA5 sounds more "compressed" (maybe because the power on the PA5 just cannot articulate bass notes as good and it gives you that "squeezy" sound impression).

3) Worse offender: compare to my Aiyima 07 (stock, no opamp mods or PSU mods, using the stock 32V PSU): The Aiyima sounds better, unfortunately... It is not as silent for sure, but, the difference in the articulation on the bass to mid region is very obvious. I honestly would trade the perfect SNR and zero noise of the PA5 to the more vivid bass sound on the Aiyima any day. Very sad this one :(

So, conclusion (sad one):

It is a nice unit and it is a crazy technology achievement for class D amps, for sure. But anyone that is worried about the power on unit, your are right to be worried. All "issues" I feel are obvious side effects of how low gain the unit is (and this is just obviously to achieve the crazy good measurement numbers). But unless you are using it as a near field on very sensitive speakers, I am not happy with it, unfortunately...

If anyone else enjoy the amp, I am not saying you are wrong. It is just my own experience with it. And I like the amp, I just wished it was at least 2-3x more powerful...
What speakers are you using? What is the actual size of your room? I’m somewhat frustrated when people give their subjective opinions and then proceed to leave out useful information.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting, I measure 36uV noise (20Hz-22kHz unw.) at the output of my NC252MP amp, with input terminated by 100 ohm.
If your noise measurement is not influenced by the ADC noise, then the PA5 has higher noise than expected.

By the way, though this was with 8ohm termination, the result I posted earlier was 29uV 22-22k unweighted according to REW.
1640896405422.png

Reactions: pma

bsas

What speakers are you using? What is the actual size of your room? I’m somewhat frustrated when people give their subjective opinions and then proceed to leave out useful information.

I have GR Research X-LS Encore speakers, but I also tested on a couple of budget ones: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones, Sony SSCS5, JBL Stage A130 and Jamo S 803.

My room is not ideal, about 131 inches X 131 inches (3.3m x 3.3m) with one wall missing on the right side that goes to a corridor.

I don't like to give subjective opinions as well, but I don't have fancy measurement tools unfortunately so it is all I can help with, sorry.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I have GR Research X-LS Encore speakers, but I also tested on a couple of budget ones: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones, Sony SSCS5, JBL Stage A130 and Jamo S 803.

My room is not ideal, about 131 inches X 131 inches (3.3m x 3.3m) with one wall missing on the right side that goes to a corridor.

I don't like to give subjective opinions as well, but I don't have fancy measurement tools unfortunately so it is all I can help with, sorry.
What did you do for level matching?

pma

Major Contributor
I think your 6º at 20khz requirement is way too restrictive! Here's PA5 frequency/phase response (phase in blue, lower trace):
View attachment 175614
Is the phase plot correct? FR is flat up to 10kHz and there is a -50° phase at 10kHz? -16° at 1kHz? Isn't there some delay (in the meas. setup)?

maty

Major Contributor

AIYIMA A07 (TPA3255) - Phase
classD_amplitude_phase_response_dummyload.png

0bs3rv3r

Unfortunately your experience seems to contradict others I have read, and that's exactly why I ASR doesn't like subjective reports. It's weird how this thread seems to be asking for them now.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is the phase plot correct? FR is flat up to 10kHz and there is a -50° phase at 10kHz? -16° at 1kHz? Isn't there some delay (in the meas. setup)?
I wrote this to maty more than 2 years ago but apparently he is still not convinced....

Reactions: pma

pma

Major Contributor

pma

Major Contributor
I wrote this to maty more than 2 years ago but apparently he is still not convinced....

Yes it is not sometimes trivial to make a correct measurement, even if it may seem simple. Trial/error sequence is the best way to learn - forever.

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do I understand correctly, that beacause of the input sensitivity of 2.5 Volts, everything above an input of 2.5 Volts, will clip the signal?
If so, how can I be sure I limit my DAC to an output of 2.5 V?

Top Bottom