• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

Lambda

Major Contributor
Many recordings, especially of classical music, do not reach 0dBFS
If the Recording is not using the full dynamic of the medium it is a flaw in the recording and the mastering engineer did not do his job.
Or it is an artistic dissension and intended to play softer.

What Album do you know whit no peaks over -4dBFS

And if the recording is relay to low you can fix the mastering engineer faults by applying digital gain.

misterdog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The "standards" are to enable a vaguely predictable signal chain and gain structure in not only domestic products but mainly for professional use in studios and broadcast settings

Though since the advent of ASR we can now see the full measured performance and not have to guess what might vaguely be happening :)
Allowing myself and others to optimise our gain structure throughout the chain.

professional balanced interfaces usually operate at a maximum signal level of +24 dBu which is 12.28 Vrms.

Hhmmmm must be a different set of 'standards'.

index.php

6.9V out, I'm with that 'standard'.

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
EDIT: Leaving this post here, but problem was resolved below by a different adapter.

I was quite excited when my new Topping PA5 showed up today. I just hooked it up and immediately ran into problems with my unbalanced signals. I have Topping L30 unbalanced heaphone/pre amp, running into 1/4" TRS balanced to RCA adapters, and the effect is really strange, or the amp is actually defective.

As I rotate the volume knob on the PA5 up, the speakers independently fade in and out as the volume increases. Depending on where you stop the knob, they will either sound okay in stereo, something closer to mono, or one or both speakers will be muted. Turning it all the way up makes it go full mute. At about 3/4 or so is as far as it goes before it starts muting. I knew I would not get full volume unbalanced, but I wasn't expecting this.

Unfortunately I don't have anything with balanced audio to test it with. Does this sound like a balanced/unbalanced issue, or a bad amp?

Last edited:

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
This happens with a pure Topping path other than the speakers.

Mac > Topping D10s (converting to optical to remove USB noise) > E30 > L30 > PA5 > Revel M105s.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was quite excited when my new Topping PA5 showed up today. I just hooked it up and immediately ran into problems with my unbalanced signals. I have Topping L30 unbalanced heaphone/pre amp, running into 1/4" TRS balanced to RCA adapters, and the effect is really strange, or the amp is actually defective.

As I rotate the volume knob on the PA5 up, the speakers independently fade in and out as the volume increases. Depending on where you stop the knob, they will either sound okay in stereo, something closer to mono, or one or both speakers will be muted. Turning it all the way up makes it go full mute. At about 3/4 or so is as far as it goes before it starts muting. I knew I would not get full volume unbalanced, but I wasn't expecting this.

Unfortunately I don't have anything with balanced audio to test it with. Does this sound like a balanced/unbalanced issue, or a bad amp?
Can you measure which is connected to which (i.e. center pin of RCA to tip, ring, or sleeve of the 1/4" TRS, and the ground/shield of RCA to tip, ring, or sleeve of the 1/4" TRS)?

RCA_TRS.jpg

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
Can you measure which is connected to which (i.e. center pin of RCA to tip, ring, or sleeve of the 1/4" TRS, and the ground/shield of RCA to tip, ring, or sleeve of the 1/4" TRS)?

View attachment 174467

Outside of RCA connects to the long section closest to the RCA jack, the center RCA pin connects to the tip and the middle section next to the tip.

Reactions: pma

pma

Major Contributor
Outside of RCA connects to the long section closest to the RCA jack, the center RCA pin connects to the tip and the middle section next to the tip.
That’s not correct. The inner part of RCA must go only to the tip. The outer part to rIng and sleeve.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Your adapter is the problem.

The tip of the 1/4" TRS should be connected to the center pin of the RCA. The ring and sleeve of the 1/4" TRS should be connected to the ground of the RCA. Get something like this instead.

RCA_TS.jpg

Zek

Major Contributor
This adapter appears to be stereo to mono but not balanced to unbalanced.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m surprised you get sound with such a connection.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think you are using a mono RCA to stereo 1/4” jack adapter. You must use a balanced adapter.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They should bring out a version with standard RCA socket inputs as that's what most people use, this input problem would certainly put me off buying one,
It would be easier if they include the adapters. They cost peanuts in bulk.

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
Your adapter is the problem.

The tip of the 1/4" TRS should be connected to the center pin of the RCA. The ring and sleeve of the 1/4" TRS should be connected to the ground of the RCA. Get something like this instead.

View attachment 174469
Thank you! This specific info was perfect. I quickly fashioned such a cable and it works. Woohoo!

I'm almost positive I saw a comment in here that you needed to use the stereo plug, but the mono plug is correct.

Reactions: NTK

Paco De Lucia

I'm using two of these to connect my DX3 Pro+ to the PA5, no problems61U5wqk+syL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

pma

Major Contributor
They should bring out a version with standard RCA socket inputs as that's what most people use, this input problem would certainly put me off buying one,
I would rather vote for standard XLR, Neutrik best. This TRS thing is tricky. Small and cheap, but much worse in all respects.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would rather vote for standard XLR, Neutrik best. This TRS thing is tricky. Small and cheap, but much worse in all respects.
What is worse than the RCA as a connector?

Top Bottom