• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 II Stereo Amplifier Review

Rate this stereo amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 4.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 5.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 95 29.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 194 60.4%

• Total voters

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just ordered the plus. Thanks for the review.
If I may suggest run the amp with a sine wave of 400 to 440 Hz because it's not unpleasant like 1kHz sine waves are. That will heat up the amp circuitry and the related circuitry good and then see what happens. Is that possible? The 440 Hz sine wave is not designed to hurt your amp it is for heating it up and stress testing it to temperature spec. Just use your headphones and leave it on at 440 Hz at a elevated volume level but not a deafening level. Again a loud level but not real loud. A persistent power output at 440 Hz will cause the amp to slowly heat up. Do not use high frequencies of like 20 k Hz at high power output.

audiotron

If I may suggest run the amp with a sine wave of 400 to 440 Hz because it's not unpleasant like 1kHz sine waves are. That will heat up the amp circuitry and the related circuitry good and then see what happens. Is that possible? The 440 Hz sine wave is not designed to hurt your amp it is for heating it up and stress testing it to temperature spec. Just use your headphones and leave it on at 440 Hz at a elevated volume level but not a deafening level. Again a loud level but not real loud. A persistent power output at 440 Hz will cause the amp to slowly heat up. Do not use high frequencies of like 20 k Hz at high power output.
Will do.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

The PA5-II amplifier has no headphone jack and even if it did, headphones on an integrated/power amp wouldn't heat anything up. They are a high impedance load and anything more than a few hundred milliwatts will burn them out.

In my opinion, we shouldn't be giving people soak-testing advice which involves using transducers of any type to act as dummy loads when playing test tones at any frequency. It will result in dead and damaged speakers and/or headphones.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The PA5-II amplifier has no headphone jack and even if it did, headphones on an integrated/power amp wouldn't heat anything up. They are a high impedance load and anything more than a few hundred milliwatts will burn them out.

In my opinion, we shouldn't be giving people soak-testing advice which involves using transducers of any type to act as dummy loads when playing test tones at any frequency. It will result in dead and damaged speakers and/or headphones.
Thanks, John I was distracted at the time I made that comment and mistakenly thought it a headphone amp. A 440 Hz tone at loud to medium listening volume is not overdoing anything. It's a mild soak and will slowly heat it up if not barely and weed out the weak ones.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, John I was distracted at the time I made that comment and mistakenly thought it a headphone amp. A 440 Hz tone at loud to medium listening volume is not overdoing anything. It's a mild soak and will slowly heat it up if not barely and weed out the weak ones.
EDIT: and to add to the last comment. If the amp is going to let loose and fry it will happen anyway regardless if the owner soaks it on 440 Hz for a hour or so.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
EDIT: I was on the telephone with Samsung Canada regarding my Samsung EarBuds2Pro regarding the right channel having low output and a low beep sound too. Was multitasking and made that mistake. It's cursed! :D

jdjung

View attachment 307541

Take a guess which side is pa5 and which is pa5iiplus ;)

Mine looks very different then yours. I ordered mine on Amazon, because the return on Amazon products is much easier. The same as Amirs (the non plus variety), but it looks like they took out some of the rubber feet off mine. So far it sounds pretty amazing. It does get warm, but considering how I was using a Bottlehead S.E.X. Tube Amp, it's much cooler. ;)

Attachments

• 20230825_155612.jpg
    20230825_155612.jpg
    406.4 KB · Views: 129

SDC

Mine looks very different then yours. I ordered mine on Amazon, because the return on Amazon products is much easier. The same as Amirs (the non plus variety), but it looks like they took out some of the rubber feet off mine. So far it sounds pretty amazing. It does get warm, but considering how I was using a Bottlehead S.E.X. Tube Amp, it's much cooler. ;)

3.2A adaptor with pa5iiplus?

I think it is better to check if Amazon or topping made mistake. Pa5iiplus and Pa5ii have different name on the front panel.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

I think it is better to check if Amazon or topping made mistake. Pa5iiplus and Pa5ii have different name on the front panel.

I agree. And the missing feet on the SMPS means someone could have been inside it already... It appears to be screwed together.

jdjung

I didn't get the plus. Was thinking of getting an AMP switcher where some have a limit of 100 watts. Here's the amp in my setup so far. It's for my desktop computer setup. In the left center a bit left below the left monitor.

Attachments

• 20230825_180949.jpg
    20230825_180949.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have enough experience with their products to count them as highly durable.
I also see how many smsltopping issue reports are being posted on this forum - and that's only a small part of the Internet.
By the same token I have bought 4 Topping DACs and the PA5 and they all work flawlessly and have since the day I bought them. Of course my experience is only anecdotal and like yours, irrelevant to the topic at hand.

jdjung

I already asked this question in another post but how's the reliability of the L50 headphone amp and the E50 DAC? Want to complete my stack since I just got a PA50 II. The stack bug is strong on this one!

viperxp

I already asked this question in another post but how's the reliability of the L50 headphone amp and the E50 DAC? Want to complete my stack since I just got a PA50 II. The stack bug is strong on this one!
If you don't have it to be balanced, L30 II + E 30 II working on my desk nonstop for several month already with zero issues. PA5 ii plus will be joining the stack hopefully soon (ordered one for a current sweet price from Ali).

jdjung

If you don't have it to be balanced, L30 II + E 30 II working on my desk nonstop for several month already with zero issues. PA5 ii plus will be joining the stack hopefully soon (ordered one for a current sweet price from Ali).
Yeah, but I kinda want everything to match colors and shapes. :D

Roland68

Major Contributor
Does anyone know if the DC connector used is a 2-pin GX12 or a GX16?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Where is the cap./ind. load testing?
Because it has floating ground, it confuses the Loadbox and it is not possible to test it (fault of the loadbox).

Klirren

I am wondering, why smallpowered class-D amplifier have in the regular no wholes to disappear the heat. If there are some spots of high temperature all the electronic suffers and sooner or later the sudden death will come.

For my opinion this a strong hint for one possibility of obsolescence.

That's the reason for perforating the shell of my aiyima A07.
PS: Thank you for your work, Amir.

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am wondering, why smallpowered class-D amplifier have in the regular no wholes to disappear the heat. If there are some spots of high temperature all the electronic suffers and sooner or later the sudden death will come.

For my opinion this a strong hint for one possibility of obsolescence.

That's the reason for perforating the shell of my aiyima A07.
PS: Thank you for your work, Amir.
I believe @amirm indicated there were slots open on the sides not shown in the photographs.

Top Bottom