• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping LA90 Discrete Amplifier Review

Rate this stereo amplifier

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 3.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 20 5.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 63 15.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 302 75.7%

• Total voters

PuX

when will Topping make a product that uses connectors that make sense (XLR, RCA) and can make up its mind as to what it is (power amp without a remote or an integrated amp with a remote)? half rhetorical question.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Mebbe I missed something in all the swooning... but what is an 'NFCA Amplifier circuit'?
It is a marketing name for a sub-circuit that is encapsulated in a module. This provide some measure of protection for their trade secrets.

gerG

Cooling is a function of the impedance of the heatsink and its surface area. Here, they are going for the former with a very thick and heavy heatsink which then couples to the entire case.
I suppose that in this case it really is a heat sink, vs a heat exchanger. It seems an odd design choice to heat up the chassis and compromise the cooling of internal components when they could have just rejected the heat to ambient with some better H/E fins. Even stranger considering that they were already machining grooves in aluminum.
I do not mean to imply that the cooling is inadequate on this device for normal operation. I am implying that it could have been better at no additional cost. Better cooling means better life.
So, how about an empirical test? Tape a T/C (backside insulated) to the chassis, crank up some tunes, and log temperature data. I am betting no problem until somebody puts it in bridged mode and pushes it very hard.

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Topping's warranty service policy -- when my DAC went belly-up, they expected me to ship it back to China at my own expense for "repair" -- would be a deal breaker here for an amplifier at this price point, regardless of performance. Losing $125 or so on a deceased DAC is one thing, but that sort of policy just doesn't fly with an $800 product IMO.

Last edited:

Bleib

Major Contributor

staticV3

Master Contributor
3rd (uneven) harmonic is dominant, that's a no go from me.
Man how sad must the folks at Benchmark be knowing that their stuff, too, has dominating uneven harmonics. A tragedy really.
Benchmark DAC3 Max Volume Dashboard Measurement.png Benchmark AHB2 Amplifier Audio Measurements.png Benchmark HPA4 Preamplifier and Headphone Amp Audio Measurements.png

Oh well, back to the drawing board I guess..
:rolleyes:

PeteL

Major Contributor
when will Topping make a product that uses connectors that make sense (XLR, RCA) and can make up its mind as to what it is (power amp without a remote or an integrated amp with a remote)? half rhetorical question.
Those are XLR TRS combo from the look of it. in use it's the same as XLR. What's wrong with having the flexibility?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Those are XLR TRS combo from the look of it. in use it's the same as XLR. What's wrong with having the flexibility?
Deja Vu

gerG

XLR are fantastic, and probably the most stable electrical connection of signal over time. However, if you need something that will suffer repeated plugging/unplugging, then TRS rocks. It is self aligning, and you can plug them in blind. As for RCA, they are ok for connecting once (usually) then leaving alone. They might still develop problems and require a cleaning every few years or so, but best left alone as the sockets tend to break. Also it is easy to get/build decent quality TRS or XLR cables, but decent RCA are a real hit or miss proposition these days. And yes I am aware that 2 of these are balanced and one is not. I mix and match cables all the time. Discussion of cable designs is probably a topic for another thread.

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I guess the only real criticism just like the previous one is low output power, at my listening distance and speaker placement it's just not enough for realistic playback level.

Also
Hypex Nilai Mono - 0.55W per dollar
This - 0.08W per dollar

Same level of transparency, worse efficiency on LA90.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
As for RCA, they are ok for connecting once (usually) then leaving alone. They might still develop problems and require a cleaning every few years or so, but best left alone as the sockets tend to break.

Since when did audiophiles and HiFi aficionados become so incredibly ham-fisted as to be breaking RCA sockets? More likely, it is the crap PCB mount RCA sockets favoured by our cost cutting friends.

Quality RCA sockets and plugs fitted to most Japanese and US made gear happily lasts 50 years or more.

gerG

Since when did audiophiles and HiFi aficionados become so incredibly ham-fisted as to be breaking RCA sockets? More likely, it is the crap PCB mount RCA sockets favoured by our cost cutting friends.

Quality RCA sockets and plugs fitted to most Japanese and US made gear happily lasts 50 years or more.
Yep, circuit mounted sockets seem to get frail over time. On top of that some of these grabby shield cable connectors are difficult to dissengage. Even crazier, some makers (like Outlaw) make stiff cables that clamp on to the shield/ground. CLICK! Oh dear, more solder repair to do.
I really do appreciate it when I see a component with chassis mounted RCA connectors. I trust those.
Back OT: I like the combo XLR/TRS connectors. I have used similar a LOT. The worst mishap is some clod tripping over a cable, and then I just plug it back in and check mic gain. Well, that is for a TRS, for an XLR I may have to pick a component up off the floor. Not an issue for the Topping topic of discussion.

Top Bottom